Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2015, 10:53 am

Can you get the bonus again if you had it before? So if I get the account now. Can I get the bonus, close it out, and try again in 12 months and get the bonus?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: UAL, AAL, DAL, NKS, JBU
Originally Posted by vhrum
I had no idea this even existed.

The wiki does not seem to have all the rules laid out. Where can I find more information on this offer?
Here are the full terms, I don't have enough posts to edit the wiki:

¹ This offer is available to Citi® / AAdvantage credit cardmembers targeted by Citibank to receive this communication. Offers for new consumer checking customers only, 18 years or older. Regular account charges apply. All accounts subject to approval and applicable terms and fees. Limit of one offer per customer and account. Offer may be modified or withdrawn at any time without notice, expires 9/30/15, is not transferable and cannot be combined with any other offer.

Fiduciary accounts (including Trust or Estate accounts) and business accounts are not eligible.

To qualify to earn American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles, open a new Regular Checking account in an eligible consumer banking account package (The Citigold® Account Package, The Citibank® Account Package or Basic Banking Package) by 9/30/15. Then, within 60 days after account opening: the required minimum amount of purchases using the Citibank® Debit Card must be posted to the new checking account AND 1 qualifying bill payment must be posted to the new checking account during a calendar month and during the following calendar month.

Qualifying bill payments are those made using Citibank® Online, Citi Mobile® or CitiPhone Banking®. Bills paid by making a transfer between linked accounts and/or transfer payments made to accounts within Citibank or to accounts with Citibank affiliates do not qualify as bill payments for this offer.

Qualifying purchases are those made using the Citibank Debit Card to buy goods and services and are net of returns and other adjustments. ATM withdrawals, cash back and bill payments using the Citibank Debit Card do not qualify as Citibank Debit Card purchases. Net qualifying purchases are determined in Citibank's sole discretion and must post to the new account within 60 days of account opening.

AAdvantage® bonus miles are earned on a per account basis and based upon all debit card purchases by all customers when the new checking account is the primary account linked to a debit card.

For details on checking package requirements please visit www.citi.com/compareaccounts.

At the time the AAdvantage® bonus miles are to be credited to your AAdvantage® account, your Citi® / AAdvantage® credit card account and the new consumer Regular Checking account in an eligible account package must all be open and in good standing.

² Get cash, get information and transfer balances between eligible linked Citibank accounts with no ATM usage fee when you use your Citibank® ATM or Debit Card at ATMs at Citibank branches and Citibank branded ATMs at other locations. Not all ATMs are owned or operated by Citibank. Not all functions available at all ATMs.

³ For the terms and conditions for using Popmoney, visit Citibank.com/easierbanking

Terms, conditions and fees for accounts, products, programs and services are subject to change.

American Airlines reserves the right to change the AAdvantage® program and its terms and conditions at any time without notice, and to end the AAdvantage® program with six months notice. Any such changes may affect your ability to use the awards or mileage credits that you have accumulated. Unless specified, AAdvantage® miles earned through this promotion/offer do not count toward elite-status qualification or AAdvantage Million MilerSM status. American Airlines is not responsible for products or services offered by other participating companies. For complete details about the AAdvantage® program visit, aa.com/aadvantage.

American Airlines, AAdvantage, the Flight Symbol logo, and AAdvantage Million Miler are trademarks of American Airlines, Inc.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 7:18 pm

Citigold Checking 50,000 AA Miles offer - Use Code 42ERCWNQU6

https://online.citi.com/JRSAO/ao_onl...ode=42ERCWNQU6

Here is a link to my blog post if you are interested in more details. But the above details are enough to get the offer

http://takeoffwithmiles.com/50000-aa...cking-account/
Old Oct 1, 2015, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by takeoffwithmiles

Here is a link to my blog post if you are interested in more details. But the above details are enough to get the offer

Thanks! I chatted with Citi to verify that the code registers correctly in their system and then applied online using the code.

I got printouts of the chat session and the promotional disclosure that was visible when I opened the account just in case.

Edit: I also confirmed with Citi over the phone this morning that the promotion was active and attached to my account.

Last edited by ValueAdd82; Oct 2, 2015 at 7:24 am
Old Oct 1, 2015, 10:22 pm

Sounds incredible. But when tax
time comes, Citi will value he miles at $0.02, correct? So a 1099 for $1000 doesn't sound so good.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Sounds incredible. But when tax
time comes, Citi will value he miles at $0.02, correct? So a 1099 for $1000 doesn't sound so good.
Is the 1099 issuance a guarantee? That slightly puts a damper on my excitement, though I'd still pay $250 (assuming 25% tax rate) for 50k miles.

Edit: The promotion disclosure doesn't mention anything about the customer being responsible for taxes, I thought this was included in previous T&C?

Last edited by ValueAdd82; Oct 2, 2015 at 7:19 am
Old Oct 2, 2015, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by ValueAdd82
Is the 1099 issuance a guarantee? That slightly puts a damper on my excitement, though I'd still pay $250 (assuming 25% tax rate) for 50k miles.

Edit: The promotion disclosure doesn't mention anything about the customer being responsible for taxes, I thought this was included in previous T&C?
Definitely not a guarantee. Not sure why people continue to chime in with this at each promotion, it's been a while since Citi issued 1099s for miles bonus.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold

Can I fund with Amex?
Old Oct 2, 2015, 10:05 am

Can I fund with Amex?
I wish, but no. Visa/MasterCard only.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Willbur

...it's been a while since Citi issued 1099s for miles bonus.
Is this really true? You're referring to signup bonuses for bank accounts, correct?
Old Oct 2, 2015, 11:24 am

I currently have a citigold account already and applied for this one too and got approved. I did read the terms about existing accounts. I want to know if anybody has tried this and got the promotion with an existing account already open? Thanks.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
I just opened by account in-branch and asked about funding with a CC, they said I can but 1) it would have to be in-branch, not over the phone and 2) it will be charged as a cash-advance. So can I fund the account with CC w/o being charged for a cash advance? How?

They also had to give me a different code for the offer, since technically I was not eligible for the code posted as I did not receive the communication directly.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 2:29 pm

I just opened by account in-branch and asked about funding with a CC, they said I can but 1) it would have to be in-branch, not over the phone and 2) it will be charged as a cash-advance. So can I fund the account with CC w/o being charged for a cash advance? How?

They also had to give me a different code for the offer, since technically I was not eligible for the code posted as I did not receive the communication directly.
So in branch they took the code, checked it against your account and determined that you weren't eligible? But then they gave you a different code (with the same bonus) that didn't require you to be directly targeted?

I opened my account online, as part of that process they gave me a credit card authorization to fax in. No way to contact anyone to ensure it was received. I set my CA limit to $1 on the card I used to fund it, so no chance of it posting as a CA.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Is this really true? You're referring to signup bonuses for bank accounts, correct?
Correct, I haven't seen any 1099s issued for Citi sign-up bonuses in AA miles or TYP since 2011.

Just open the account and skip the funding step. You can only fund with CC for your initial funding. Use this form: https://online.citi.com/JRS/popups/ao/CreditCard.pdf

For the Cash Advance, it's really up to how the credit card company treats it. First, make sure you're charging an amount greater than your CA limit. Use either a Citi, BoA, or Barclay card for opening the citigold account. Amex not accepted and Chase will charge as CA and be declined.

There is no spot on the form to put your account number but you just need to write it at the top and fax it in.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Willbur
Correct, I haven't seen any 1099s issued for Citi sign-up bonuses in AA miles or TYP since 2011.

Just open the account and skip the funding step. You can only fund with CC for your initial funding. Use this form: https://online.citi.com/JRS/popups/ao/CreditCard.pdf

For the Cash Advance, it's really up to how the credit card company treats it. First, make sure you're charging an amount greater than your CA limit. Use either a Citi, BoA, or Barclay card for opening the citigold account. Amex not accepted and Chase will charge as CA and be declined.

There is no spot on the form to put your account number but you just need to write it at the top and fax it in.
I actually didn't even notice there wasn't a spot for the account number. Whoops. I'm sure they'll figure it out..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.