Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Atxbobcat
I called in this afternoon about the 30k offer, said I received an email(which I actually wasn't targeted for and never received) a few weeks back, but didn't have it on hand. Rep said she needed the promo code from the email for her to proceed, but went into detail about the promotion. I then "found" my offer and read her the promo code and at that point proceeded to open the account. So it looks like the promo code is still a go, unless somehow they check my account to see if indeed I received their offer and claw it back. Only concern I had was when asked about funding account, CC was offered but was told it would be CA. Opted to fund at a later date, should I be worried about this bit of info? I know Citi is notorious for CA, but maybe she was mistaken? Any work around? I tried getting Barclay to lower my CA limit to $0 but no dice on two separate occasions. TIA
It all depends on the card issuer, Barclay has been good for non-CA with Citi. You don't need a $0 CA, just have a CA limit below what you plan to fund.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Willbur
It all depends on the card issuer, Barclay has been good for non-CA with Citi. You don't need a $0 CA, just have a CA limit below what you plan to fund.
That is what I was thinking, but have heard a few horror stories of CA limit being extended to cover it. That would make my stomach drop if I had to eat a CA fee on 20k. Not the end of the world, but a very unpleasant conversation with the SO would ensue for sure.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:20 pm

That is what I was thinking, but have heard a few horror stories of CA limit being extended to cover it. That would make my stomach drop if I had to eat a CA fee on 20k. Not the end of the world, but a very unpleasant conversation with the SO would ensue for sure.
Interesting, never heard of that - pretty sure you'd have a good cause to fight that. I charged a solid chunk to Barclay without issue about two months ago to fund my Citibank account. Netted over 20k additional AA miles.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Willbur
Interesting, never heard of that - pretty sure you'd have a good cause to fight that. I charged a solid chunk to Barclay without issue about two months ago to fund my Citibank account. Netted over 20k additional AA miles.
Exactly what I am hoping for, 50k AA miles for approximately $60-$90. Thanks for the reassurances!
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:40 pm

I called in this afternoon about the 30k offer, said I received an email(which I actually wasn't targeted for and never received) a few weeks back, but didn't have it on hand. Rep said she needed the promo code from the email for her to proceed, but went into detail about the promotion. I then "found" my offer and read her the promo code and at that point proceeded to open the account. So it looks like the promo code is still a go, unless somehow they check my account to see if indeed I received their offer and claw it back. Only concern I had was when asked about funding account, CC was offered but was told it would be CA. Opted to fund at a later date, should I be worried about this bit of info? I know Citi is notorious for CA, but maybe she was mistaken? Any work around? I tried getting Barclay to lower my CA limit to $0 but no dice on two separate occasions. TIA
Congrats! Have you confirmed that you are getting AA miles instead of TYP?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
How long after the miles have posted can you close the account? Any issues or data on that? Anything in the T&C about it?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by lw7878
Congrats! Have you confirmed that you are getting AA miles instead of TYP?
At the close of my call, I reconfirmed with the rep that I would be receiving 30k AA miles and she said yes. I will call in once I receive my welcome packet, with the debit card, in the mail and reconfirm one last time at that point. But for now I am under the impression that I am fully registered for the AA miles.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
How long after the miles have posted can you close the account? Any issues or data on that? Anything in the T&C about it?
The only requirements that I have seen for getting the miles is $750 spend on the debit card and two consecutive bill pays from the account. No length of time requirement. They say it will take 90 days to get the AA miles into your AA account, so I assume after 5 months(2 to satisfy the bill pay and 3 for the miles to drop) you can close the account. I doubt they can claw the miles back once they hit your AA account.

One thing I forgot to mention, the promotion also states that you need to have the Citi AAdvantage credit card, I don't think it matters if it is the platinum or executive.

Last edited by Atxbobcat; Aug 19, 2015 at 7:37 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:27 am

It is really encouraging to hear successful applications. Thank you Atxbobcat.

The Promotion Disclosures said "Offers for new consumer checking customers only....". Every time I contacted Citi, they always greeted me with "Thank you for being a CitiGold customer" even after closing the checking account for more than one year. Will Citi give me the bonus miles again? Any data point?

Should I contact Citi and verify my eligibility before opening an account online? Any negatives that anyone can think of for making the call?

TIA!
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:11 am

It is really encouraging to hear successful applications. Thank you Atxbobcat.

The Promotion Disclosures said "Offers for new consumer checking customers only....". Every time I contacted Citi, they always greeted me with "Thank you for being a CitiGold customer" even after closing the checking account for more than one year. Will Citi give me the bonus miles again? Any data point?

Should I contact Citi and verify my eligibility before opening an account online? Any negatives that anyone can think of for making the call?

TIA!
Since this is my first time opening an account with Citi, I can not provide any data based on having a previous account and trying to open a new one for the bonus. I will caution you in trying to apply online though. A few people commented on DOC that when they did so and called a week later to verify everything, their promo code was switched to 40k TY points and were told that the 30k AA miles was available over the phone or walk in only. Sounds like the only way you will know for sure is by contacting someone, otherwise it is up to chance. And at the very least, you can earn points on whatever CC you decide to fund the account with. Good luck.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:56 pm

Since this is my first time opening an account with Citi, I can not provide any data based on having a previous account and trying to open a new one for the bonus. I will caution you in trying to apply online though. A few people commented on DOC that when they did so and called a week later to verify everything, their promo code was switched to 40k TY points and were told that the 30k AA miles was available over the phone or walk in only. Sounds like the only way you will know for sure is by contacting someone, otherwise it is up to chance. And at the very least, you can earn points on whatever CC you decide to fund the account with. Good luck.
Thanks for pointing that out. Would you please give us an update later re: the confirmation call once you receive the welcome packet?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 1:20 pm

Thanks for pointing that out. Would you please give us an update later re: the confirmation call once you receive the welcome packet?
So here is an update to my Citigold account. I received my welcome packet in the mail and in it was a promotion disclosure page containing the specific promotion code that I used and what it entailed. It confirmed that my account was tagged for the 30k AA miles once I spend $750 with the debit card and two consecutive bill pays from the account. I was able to successfully fund my account for 20k with my Barclay Aviator so as long as I do everything else properly, I'll have netted a total of 50k AA miles for ~$90! If anyone has any questions about the process, please feel free to post or PM. I'd be happy to help.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 9:30 pm

So here is an update to my Citigold account. I received my welcome packet in the mail and in it was a promotion disclosure page containing the specific promotion code that I used and what it entailed. It confirmed that my account was tagged for the 30k AA miles once I spend $750 with the debit card and two consecutive bill pays from the account. I was able to successfully fund my account for 20k with my Barclay Aviator so as long as I do everything else properly, I'll have netted a total of 50k AA miles for ~$90! If anyone has any questions about the process, please feel free to post or PM. I'd be happy to help.
Thank you for the update!!
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:20 pm

It was my understanding that you need a currently open AAdvantage card of some kind with Citibank in order to get the miles from the Citigold checking offer. I believe it was explained upthread that the Citigold checking application does not accept an AAdvantage account number, so that the mileage transfer is actually contingent upon Citi matching the SSN on the Citigold account with the SSN on the Citi AAdvantage card. In your 8/21 post you wrote "Since this is my first time opening an account with Citi [...];" does that mean you do not have an open AAdvantage card with Citi?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
does that mean you do not have an open AAdvantage card with Citi?
Sorry for any confusion based on my previous post. Not having an open account with them was in reference to lw7878 having a previous checking account with Citi. So to clarify, I do have an AAdvantage card with Citi, I did not have a banking account with Citi until the one I just opened. Hope that helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.