Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:58 am

Programs: N/A
May i repay the majority of my initial funding bill using my CC?

Example: Deposited 10k using barclays, paying $9.5k using citi account funded?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:57 am

I opened a Citi gold checking account a little over a year ago to get the 50K miles (or maybe it was 100k). Anyway, I screwed up and didn't meet one of the requisites and never collected any miles from them.

Can I open a NEW account with them under the terms of the promotions and still be eligible? I would not have to close down my current account if that was a concern (i.e. it would be "new" money).

Or is the fact that I opened my first account with a code for the promotion going to exclude me?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by JBG89
May i repay the majority of my initial funding bill using my CC?

Example: Deposited 10k using barclays, paying $9.5k using citi account funded?
Personally, I'd go Barclays CC -> Citi -> Some other checking account -> Barclay CC
Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:25 pm

Quick question; I searched, but did not find. It is my understanding that in order to get AA miles from a Citi Gold checking offer, one needs to have an open AAdvantage card of some kind with Citi. Will the AAdvantage business card suffice?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
Quick question; I searched, but did not find. It is my understanding that in order to get AA miles from a Citi Gold checking offer, one needs to have an open AAdvantage card of some kind with Citi. Will the AAdvantage business card suffice?
It simply states that you must be an AAdvantage credit cardmember. I would take this to mean any Citi AAdvantage card to include the business version of the platinum and executive card.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 11:33 pm

@Atxbobcat or anyone - How long did it take to receive your debit card?

I need to wait until 9/16 or so to open a new account. I then need to finish the spending by 9/29 before taking a semi-emergency trip. That only leaves 10 biz days for the mailing time. Talking about pressure!

TIA!
Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:13 pm

Does anyone know if you can use your Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select to fund your CitiGold account? If so, do you get miles from the credit card (i.e. deposit $10K from citi AAdvantage Platinum Select).

Also, do you need to have your account funded before you can "have" it?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
I had no idea this even existed.

The wiki does not seem to have all the rules laid out. Where can I find more information on this offer?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by schrute
Does anyone know if you can use your Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select to fund your CitiGold account? If so, do you get miles from the credit card (i.e. deposit $10K from citi AAdvantage Platinum Select).

Also, do you need to have your account funded before you can "have" it?
Not sure what the second part of the question is asking - but yes, you can fund with Citi AAdvantage card.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Willbur
Not sure what the second part of the question is asking - but yes, you can fund with Citi AAdvantage card.
The first part of the question, would I get miles from the Citi AAdvantage card usuage (i.e. deposit $10K from the card and get 10K miles independent of the checking account promo).

Follow up question, of the aforementioned is possible, why doesn't everyone just cycle $10K or $100K every month and correct infinite number of points?

The second part of the question was asking about why you needed to fund the account. You could just use $750 or whatever to meet the requirements.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by schrute
The first part of the question, would I get miles from the Citi AAdvantage card usuage (i.e. deposit $10K from the card and get 10K miles independent of the checking account promo).

Follow up question, of the aforementioned is possible, why doesn't everyone just cycle $10K or $100K every month and correct infinite number of points?

The second part of the question was asking about why you needed to fund the account. You could just use $750 or whatever to meet the requirements.
Unfortunately you can only use a credit card to make your initial deposit to the account - you can't make subsequent deposits to the account with a credit card.

You can also choose to deposit in a different way or with an amount like $1k (enough to make bill pays and debit card transactions).
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:00 am

Unfortunately you can only use a credit card to make your initial deposit to the account - you can't make subsequent deposits to the account with a credit card.

You can also choose to deposit in a different way or with an amount like $1k (enough to make bill pays and debit card transactions).
Got it, that clarifies everything, thanks! So it would make sense to make the largest deposit I can possibly make on the account, right?

So there is no way to set up another funding source after having your initial funding source set up?
Old Sep 11, 2015, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA UA
Originally Posted by lw7878
@Atxbobcat or anyone - How long did it take to receive your debit card?

I need to wait until 9/16 or so to open a new account. I then need to finish the spending by 9/29 before taking a semi-emergency trip. That only leaves 10 biz days for the mailing time. Talking about pressure!

TIA!
I opened CitiGold checking on a Monday and received the ATM card that Saturday. This is, however, only one data point and every case is different. YMMV!
Old Sep 12, 2015, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Bluebirdie
I opened CitiGold checking on a Monday and received the ATM card that Saturday. This is, however, only one data point and every case is different. YMMV!
Do you have to spend the $750 before the 30th to get the reward? I thought you just had to fund the account by then.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 12:25 pm

Sorry, the "have it" part means before the account actually opens and you become eligible to receive the 30K miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.