FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]
Old Apr 15, 2016, 4:08 pm
DaveInLA

Originally Posted by sikorloa
After getting halfway to meeting the $1000 debit card spend requirement and doing the billpays, Citi decided to close my account.

They didn't even give me a warning, I logged in last week and saw my balance was at $0.00 and there had been a withdrawal from some location in California, and I called in thinking that someone had hacked my account and taken all my money.

After some time on the line with a rep, they said that I had called in to close the account, when I hadn't. They were going to listen to the phone call recordings and get back to me. 5 phone calls later someone finally tells me it was because I hadn't sent in the "signature card", even though I had opened this account IN A BRANCH and signed a bunch of papers there. I don't even remember anyone mentioning a signature card.

Called about 7 times and spending about 3 hours total on talking with customer service. They said I'm welcome to open a new account, but this one is closed.

When I asked whether I could still be eligible for the bonus (given that it ended 3/31), they said "you'd have to go to a branch and put in a special request". I think I've wasted enough time with Citi, but was wondering what you guys might think about the situation.
I didn't send in my signature card for my CG account (forgot to, opened online) and the worst thing that happened was a bounced check. I called and they said that since they had my check, they were able to just use that in place of the signature card.