Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2013, 4:04 pm

So, I went ahead and opened. I see I have the option of funding from CC.
Does anyone know if there is a maximum fund and how it might be treated by CC company?
I just upgraded my AmEx Gold to Plat and need to meet some spend....will it work if I fund from AmEx without being charged advance fee?

UPDATE: Boo...I see they won't take AmEx. Anyone know the max I could safely get away with using a Chase Card?
Old Dec 7, 2013, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by sonit
Posting my experience for reference.

7/26/2013 - Applied online through targeted email

8/02/2013 - Received my Debit Card

I went on a trip in August so I didn't start meeting the requirements till the end of the month.

8/28/2013 - Amazon Payments deposit into account
8/29/2013 - PayPal deposit into account

9/03/2013 - Deposited cash into account and bought a $755 money order at Wal-Mart, as debit transaction where I entered my PIN.

9/05/2013
- One additional Amazon Payments and one additional PayPal deposit into the account

9/06/2013 - Direct deposit of my paycheck just in case.

11/13/2013
- 30,000 miles posted into my AAdvantage account
Could you (or anyone else familiar) tell me how was the Paypal deposit done? I transferred money from my Paypal to my citibank checking account and Citibank just informed me that does NOT qualify as a direct deposit

UPDATE
***another customer rep from citi bank informed me that the first paypal transfer WILL count as a deposit... will update when second goes through and when/if miles are posted***

Last edited by mkt80; Dec 9, 2013 at 10:59 am Reason: update
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
A Couple of Questions

- When using Amazon Payments, are you "sending money" or "withdrawing funds"? Should the payment be sent from your available balance, or can it be paid by non-Citi CC without a cash advance charge from Citi?

- Why are folks doing 2 direct deposits per month...isn't the requirement one? Is a $10 direct deposit per month from Amazon Payments sufficient?

- Any other recent data points on how long the miles take to post after completion of qualifying activities?

Thanks....

Last edited by Explore; Dec 28, 2013 at 11:13 am
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Asia Miles, Miles and Bonus
The 30k AA miles have been posted to my AA account. Since I don't intend to maintain 50k in my Citigold accounts to avoid paying the monthly fee, I would like to downgrade the accounts to other Citibank accounts with less stringent minimum balances. If I were to do so, will it be more difficult for me to apply for Citi credit cards? I have read that those with Citigold accounts find it easier to apply for Citi credit cards. Advice from everyone will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA Ex Plat
Update: opened Citi Gold account October 26th, met requirements by November 5th and received the 30k miles on December 22nd.... I closed the account without being charged any monthly fees easiest miles I've earned ( I use the word "earned" very loosely)
Old Jan 5, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: A few
Any new promos for 2014?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:27 pm
c2d

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, HHonors, Avis et al.
Originally Posted by bensim
The 30k AA miles have been posted to my AA account. Since I don't intend to maintain 50k in my Citigold accounts to avoid paying the monthly fee, I would like to downgrade the accounts to other Citibank accounts with less stringent minimum balances. If I were to do so, will it be more difficult for me to apply for Citi credit cards? I have read that those with Citigold accounts find it easier to apply for Citi credit cards. Advice from everyone will be appreciated. Thanks.
I have really not seen any issue downgrading to basic checking or even closing the citigold account after you get the miles. It should not affect getting approved for credit cards.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AMEX MR, BA, DL, SPG, UA, US, Hyatt Platinum
Minimum account opening time to allowCSR to retain sign up bonus and churning bonuses

Question No. 1

I opened my account at a branch office in October and expect the bonus miles to post in February. The associate that opened the account has been quite helpful.

For those of you that were around for the Suntrust Bank Debit Card Bonanza a few years ago, we learned a few things about how bank employees collected and retained bonuses. If I recall correctly, an account had to be open for six months for an associate to retain the bonus received for opening a new account. Many of you remember that we kept our accounts open for ~six months to allow the bonuses to be paid.

Does anyone know if Citibank has a similar bonus program?

Question No. 2

Previously, Citibank told me that my old account had to be closed for 90 days for me to open a new account and be eligible for bonuses.

Does anyone know if this still applies?
Old Jan 14, 2014, 8:18 am

Hello.

I opened a Citigold acct to get the 30k points. Bank rep calls yesterday to say they have a new promotion: I can get 30k AA points or $500 cash. Which is the best option?

Thanks.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by DiverNina
Hello.

I opened a Citigold acct to get the 30k points. Bank rep calls yesterday to say they have a new promotion: I can get 30k AA points or $500 cash. Which is the best option?

Thanks.
Depends on your value on miles. Off peak you can fly to Europe for 36k miles and $10 if you have a AAdvantage credit card. I just booked tickets to London for 18k miles and $5 each way. It's actually 20k miles but if you have the AAdvantage credit card also it's a 10% rebate. So you get 2k miles back
Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:24 am
c2d

Originally Posted by RedElmo
Depends on your value on miles. Off peak you can fly to Europe for 36k miles and $10 if you have a AAdvantage credit card. I just booked tickets to London for 18k miles and $5 each way. It's actually 20k miles but if you have the AAdvantage credit card also it's a 10% rebate. So you get 2k miles back
I thought AA/BA flights to/from London incur large fuel surcharges for award tickets. Are there situations where this does not apply?
Old Jan 14, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by c2d
I thought AA/BA flights to/from London incur large fuel surcharges for award tickets. Are there situations where this does not apply?
They do if you are flying a partnered european airline like BA etc etc. but if you can find a AA flight all the way through then there is no surcharge markup.

or a flight with 1 short leg that is a european airline and majority AA / US airway.

My flight is all AA from LAX to DFW to LHR. for $5 and 18K points.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:46 pm
c2d

Originally Posted by RedElmo
They do if you are flying a partnered european airline like BA etc etc. but if you can find a AA flight all the way through then there is no surcharge markup.

or a flight with 1 short leg that is a european airline and majority AA / US airway.

My flight is all AA from LAX to DFW to LHR. for $5 and 18K points.
Thanks RedElmo! This is good to know.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 1:51 am

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by c2d
Thanks RedElmo! This is good to know.
Not entirely accurate. AA only applies fuel surcharges on BA and to a much lesser extent on IB. If you fly AA or AB then you pay no fuel surcharge.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Will never by anything with airlines
Opened late October, met requirements (through Fidelity) and debit purchases through AP.

SM'ed to receive confirmation I met requirements.

Miles posted yesterday.

Will cancel citigold account - mostly because Citibank was a headache to deal with for simple things, like taking two weeks to get my debit card (had to call 4 times)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.