Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Old Oct 24, 2013, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account


I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Old Jan 25, 2013, 4:35 pm
  #751  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Virginia
Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum - 2M miles
Posts: 216
Hi all:

Glad I found this discussion - as I am ready for another 30K AA miles. We just completed a Oneworld/Explorer AA trip (round-the world) and it was awesome - best program in the world.

I have read the last few pages of the thread - but need to clarify a few points before I sign up.

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

Thank you all:

Joyce
Jwerking is offline  
Old Jan 28, 2013, 9:17 am
  #752  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Virginia
Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum - 2M miles
Posts: 216
Hello:

Any help folks with answers to my questions? Want those 30K AA miles.

Thanks,

Joyce
Jwerking is offline  
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:57 am
  #753  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN USA
Posts: 107
Originally Posted by Jwerking
Hi all:

Glad I found this discussion - as I am ready for another 30K AA miles. We just completed a Oneworld/Explorer AA trip (round-the world) and it was awesome - best program in the world.

I have read the last few pages of the thread - but need to clarify a few points before I sign up.

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

Thank you all:

Joyce
I can't answer all of your questions, but I can touch on a few.

I had the payroll deposit from my second job - usually $120 - sent to my account, as well as about $100 out of my paycheck from my day job.

I did have to wait a long time and actually make two phone calls to get the debit card. They overnighted it to me.

The $30 charge is waived the first two months if you don't have 50K.

Last edited by MSPdude; Jan 29, 2013 at 10:34 am Reason: misspelled word
MSPdude is offline  
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:06 pm
  #754  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 61
Originally Posted by ukinny2000
Back in early December I had secured messaged them to confirm I had met all the conditions, which they confirmed in writing, but other than that I did nothing
Hi, you mentioned in earlier post: 10/27 : debit pin purchase

Did you make a purchase where you had to enter 4 digit pin? Did you buy a money order? I am wondering if I can make my $750 purchase on Paypal but that will be treated like a credit card as I won't be entering a 4 digit pin.

Also in the past 2 years have you received a different Citibank award? I have (I closed my Citi checking account few months ago) so I hope I can still qualify. I did a past Citi AA miles promo a long time ago like 1-2 yrs ago and never received a 1099. If I get the 30k miles this year I hope we don't get a 1099. Any comments from accountants please chime in Thanks for your help!
gtran26 is offline  
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:35 pm
  #755  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,429
AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

I got the 15k a few months back and my acct is still active. Can I close my acct and reapply for 30k? How long should I wait?
DaveInLA is offline  
Old Jan 29, 2013, 7:56 am
  #756  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 692
Originally Posted by gtran26
Hi, you mentioned in earlier post: 10/27 : debit pin purchase

Did you make a purchase where you had to enter 4 digit pin? Did you buy a money order? I am wondering if I can make my $750 purchase on Paypal but that will be treated like a credit card as I won't be entering a 4 digit pin.

Also in the past 2 years have you received a different Citibank award? I have (I closed my Citi checking account few months ago) so I hope I can still qualify. I did a past Citi AA miles promo a long time ago like 1-2 yrs ago and never received a 1099. If I get the 30k miles this year I hope we don't get a 1099. Any comments from accountants please chime in Thanks for your help!
I did not buy a Money Order (it was a drugstore purchase), and had to enter a 4-digit PIN.

I had never participated in a Citibank checking-account promo before, so on that count I can't help you
ukinny2000 is offline  
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:30 pm
  #757  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sfo
Posts: 14
For those who opened the gold checking accounts in 2012, have you received the 1099 form yet? I am interested to open the gold checking account for the 30K AA mile this month, but am afraid to receive a 1099 with $3,000 or even $6,000 taxable interest in 2013 1099
jaspercomcast is offline  
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:01 pm
  #758  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 24
data point:
Online application for gold checking completed on Oct 3 rd.
ATM card received on Oct 25th and account activated.
setup direct deposit and received payments in Nov & December.
Purchased $760 Money Order from Walmart in November and had to enter the PIN( satisfy the $750 debit card spend requirement )
30K miles deposited to AA account on Jan 21, 2013

I haven't received the 1099 .hope not. If I do, will update my post.
tnite is offline  
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:00 pm
  #759  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sfo
Posts: 14
tnite:
You received the miles in Jan 2013, if Citibank treat these miles as "income" as they did in 2011, you will receive 1099 in Jan 2014, not 2013.
I
jaspercomcast is offline  
Old Feb 6, 2013, 1:33 pm
  #760  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,905
Originally Posted by jaspercomcast
tnite:
You received the miles in Jan 2013, if Citibank treat these miles as "income" as they did in 2011, you will receive 1099 in Jan 2014, not 2013.
I
Any reports of 1099's so far? I haven't seen any yet...
Ritz is offline  
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:15 pm
  #761  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 49
I seem to recall reading somewhere that your credit limits on Citi credit cards count towards the requirements for a minimum balance on a checking account.

Specifically, I'm thinking about opening a Citibank Checking account (the option that's 1 level below Gold), which requires $15k. I already have a total credit limit of around 20k on my Citi credit cards, so I'm hoping that would be enough to avoid the monthly fees.

Is that correct or am I confused? I've looked everywhere and I couldn't find an answer. I even called, but the agent I spoke with was generally quite incompetent so I wouldn't trust him.
phonehome is offline  
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:51 am
  #762  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,532
Originally Posted by phonehome
I seem to recall reading somewhere that your credit limits on Citi credit cards count towards the requirements for a minimum balance on a checking account.
I'm pretty sure that it's credit balance, not credit limit.
_kurt is offline  
Old Feb 7, 2013, 1:34 pm
  #763  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN USA
Posts: 107
Originally Posted by Ritz
Any reports of 1099's so far? I haven't seen any yet...
I have not seen one. Also, I've already filed my taxes, so I hope I don't at this point!
MSPdude is offline  
Old Feb 7, 2013, 1:50 pm
  #764  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York, NY
Programs: The Golden status boy
Posts: 854
Originally Posted by phonehome
I seem to recall reading somewhere that your credit limits on Citi credit cards count towards the requirements for a minimum balance on a checking account.

Specifically, I'm thinking about opening a Citibank Checking account (the option that's 1 level below Gold), which requires $15k. I already have a total credit limit of around 20k on my Citi credit cards, so I'm hoping that would be enough to avoid the monthly fees.

Is that correct or am I confused? I've looked everywhere and I couldn't find an answer. I even called, but the agent I spoke with was generally quite incompetent so I wouldn't trust him.
False. Your Citi credit balance will count, not your limit. If you are paying interest on $50,000 - $100,000 to get miles, you have the wrong hobby
spankytoes is offline  
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:16 pm
  #765  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: DFW
Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
Posts: 479
1099 for tax year 2012 anyone?

Anyone who got miles in 2012 from this offer, got the corresponding 1099 yet?

If a 1099 was issued, in my opinion, this is not worth the hassle.

Any experiences?
raj_cl is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.