Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: AA PLT
Data point: I met the requirements on May 7th, sent them a secure message, and received a reply via snail mail that I would receive the miles within 90 days. Still waiting.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 5:35 pm

Current offer in-branch for 40,000 Thank You Points. Has to be opened in branch. Per info sheet that I asked the Rep to print, it's the "National Checking Campaign running from June 1 to July 31 where new-to-checking clients can earn up to 40,000 Thank You Points after they open an eligible checking account, complete qualifying banking activities and engage in one of our award winning digital services!"
Have to open a Citigold Regular checking relationship, enroll in Citi Thank You Rewards, and complete one qualifying direct deposit and one eligible bill payment for two consecutive calendar months. That'll earn ya 30K. To earn the other 10K, after you complete the qualifying banking activities you need to engage your new checking account in one of the following digital services
Download Citi Mobile or Citi Tablet App and log in
Enroll in Popmoney and complete one transaction.
I already have the account (actually I converted it from a Citigold to a regular checking account after I finally got my 40K, to avoid the monthly fee) but my son didn't, so I took him to the bank. Here's the icing on the cake: "Don't forget Member-Get-Member (MGM!) Clients who enroll in MGM earn a cash bonus when friends and family they refer open a checking account." It doesn't say what the bonus is but she told me I'll get $100 deposited in my checking account (eventually).
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:16 pm

I received a flyer in the mail for this 40k thank you points offer. Would people consider this better than the aadvatage 30k offer? I have 170k aadvantage miles but no TY points (not even sure what they do.) Would people recommend going for the 40k TYP offer or waiting for another 30k aadvantage offer?
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:56 pm

ThankYou Points are normally worth, at best, one cent each. So 40000 points equals $400.

If you have or get a ThankYou card with an annual fee, you can use them for airfare at $1.33 per point. So roughly a $533 airfare credit.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Similar data point here. One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments: [/I]
So, would seem you can double-dip here by linking your Debit card to AP and using it as the funding source for $750 worth of ACH push, no?

Also - what is the required amount of DD/month to qualify?

Finally - are people putting in the full 50K to avoid the monthly fee? Since it may take 3-4 months, I'd rather not pay the $120 in fees.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 8:25 pm

Hey FTers,

Anyone know of a current offer code floating around for the 30,000 AA miles for opening the Citibank Checking?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by BenH
So, would seem you can double-dip here by linking your Debit card to AP and using it as the funding source for $750 worth of ACH push, no?

Also - what is the required amount of DD/month to qualify?

Finally - are people putting in the full 50K to avoid the monthly fee? Since it may take 3-4 months, I'd rather not pay the $120 in fees.
If i'm not mistaken, they waive the fee for the first three months. Some have reported meeting the requirements and getting the miles deposited before a fee was even charged. I was one of those that was able to get in and out before any fees hit the account.

Last edited by MSPdude; Jul 9, 2013 at 1:52 pm Reason: punctuation-arghhh
Old Jul 17, 2013, 6:11 am

Location: Born and raised in South Carolina, now in New York City.
I got a targeted offer (has a code that brings up my personal information so I can't share). Has anyone gotten the bonus more than once? In the T&Cs it says you can only do it once every two years. Is this enforced by social security number? Or have there been cases where people get it more than once? I'm thinking since it's a targeted offer maybe they'll let me get the bonus twice (I just got it in Jan)...
Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA LM Airbnb
Anyone with citi familiar with international banking? I'd like an international account and card with a chip for travelling purposes. Oh yes and the current offer to apply as well. in branch? Online?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 8:29 am

There's no tax liability any more, correct?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:36 am

I just received this offer and have a quick question. I can't seem to find the answer anywhere. I know that Citi charges cash advance fees for using one of their credit cards to fund a checking account, but does Chase do the same thing? I was thinking of using one of their cards to fund the account. Thanks!
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by saranyc
I got a targeted offer (has a code that brings up my personal information so I can't share). Has anyone gotten the bonus more than once? In the T&Cs it says you can only do it once every two years. Is this enforced by social security number? Or have there been cases where people get it more than once? I'm thinking since it's a targeted offer maybe they'll let me get the bonus twice (I just got it in Jan)...
For AA miles or TY points?

Originally Posted by abcx
There's no tax liability any more, correct?
I got an email for TY points and it says:

Important Tax Information: Enrollment in Citi ThankYou Rewards and this offer limited to customers who are either citizens or resident aliens of the United States (U.S.) with a valid U.S. taxpayer identification number. The value of rewards from redeemed Points may be reported to the IRS as miscellaneous income on Form 1099-MISC in the year redeemed, if the value of the rewards plus other taxable miscellaneous income awards received from Citibank, N.A., is in the aggregate $600 or greater for a calendar year, as required by applicable law. Customer is responsible for any applicable taxes.

Are they still valuing TY points at 2.5 cents (ha!) each?
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
BB?

Has anyone tried using BlueBird as the direct deposit funding? It shows ACH when I use BB to my savings.
Also, anyone sure about the 1040 Citi was notorious for issuing when awarding AA miles?

Last edited by thebat; Jul 22, 2013 at 12:53 pm
Old Aug 17, 2013, 8:40 pm

1099 IRS tax? Funding althernatives?

Post #835 said "No tax yet for my 30K so far" but we cannot tell when he opened the account. It'd be much appreciated if someone could confirm whether or not Citi issued a 1099 this year to people who opened a Citigold checking account in 2012.

Also, it seems you don't want to fund a new account by using Chase credit cards because Citi will categorize it as Cash Advance. Is it correct? Any other alternatives to earn some extra miles/points when funding the initial deposit?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by lw7878
Post #835 said "No tax yet for my 30K so far" but we cannot tell when he opened the account. It'd be much appreciated if someone could confirm whether or not Citi issued a 1099 this year to people who opened a Citigold checking account in 2012.

I opened citigold and met requirements in 2012 but they took their sweet time awarding the points. It took about 6 months and many secure messages/calls. I didn't receive a 1099 but since the points arrived in 2013 I don't think that proves I won't get a 1099 next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.