Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2011, 3:32 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
I was told "verbally" that if you transfered the checking account after 60 days you would waive the fees and still get the points.

However, everything Citi has promised so far has been internally challenged by other CSRS:
1. No 1099-MIsc generated.....appears to be false
2. Two checking accounts with 25k, 30k promo - several say impossible

Everything Citi has stated to date has been wrong!

Originally Posted by barelyelite
I wish I had your experience. I sent them a secure message, and they got back to me saying the the miles would post by June 30 . I have the Citigold account and would like to convert it to just a basic checking account to avoid the $30/month fee, but I'm afraid this will put my points in jeopardy.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 5:44 am

Just wanted to confirm the bummer news others have heard here. I opened my account late January just to get the 25,000 and was hoping that would mean I could take the money out and close in April. Now I'm being told this:

-To qualify for 25,000 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles, open a new regular account in The Citibank Account package by 02/28/2011
-Within 60 days of account opening, you must begin performing at least one direct deposit to, or at least two electronic bill payments from the checking account or five or more debit card purchases from, the checking account each month for two consecutive months
-The American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles will be credited to your American Airlines AAdvantage account within 90 days (3 months) from the end of the statement period in which you met qualifying requirements stated in this offer.

Based on the information listed, you should receive the miles by your 06/30/2011 statement.

Looks like a generic response to me. So 2 months has suddenly turned into 5 months. So by this response I need to leave money in there through the months of April, May, AND June when I can then finally contact them again about my points.

Had I known this was a 5 month wait I'd like have reconsidered. Something tells me I'll be contacting them again on July 1. If anyone hears something different or gets miles who opened their account in January, let us know.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BBDDPP
Just wanted to confirm the bummer news others have heard here. I opened my account late January just to get the 25,000 and was hoping that would mean I could take the money out and close in April. Now I'm being told this:

-To qualify for 25,000 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles, open a new regular account in The Citibank Account package by 02/28/2011
-Within 60 days of account opening, you must begin performing at least one direct deposit to, or at least two electronic bill payments from the checking account or five or more debit card purchases from, the checking account each month for two consecutive months
-The American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles will be credited to your American Airlines AAdvantage account within 90 days (3 months) from the end of the statement period in which you met qualifying requirements stated in this offer.

Based on the information listed, you should receive the miles by your 06/30/2011 statement.

Looks like a generic response to me. So 2 months has suddenly turned into 5 months. So by this response I need to leave money in there through the months of April, May, AND June when I can then finally contact them again about my points.

Had I known this was a 5 month wait I'd like have reconsidered. Something tells me I'll be contacting them again on July 1. If anyone hears something different or gets miles who opened their account in January, let us know.
I don't think you need to leave the money in to qualify, although you may need to leave some of it in in order to avoid fees. I just think the account needs to be open for the final three months to qualify.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 6:34 pm

Smile Secure Message Worked!

An earlier poster reported success getting miles when Citi "opened an investigation" on their behalf. So, I sent a secure message and specifically asked for an investigation to be opened.

Me:
I opened my account under a promotion to receive 25,000 AA miles after meeting certain conditions. I believe I have met those conditions, but no miles have posted to my AA account yet. I request that an investigation please be opened into the matter so I may receive my points.
Them:
Thank you for your message regarding the promotion your account was opened with. I hope that you are having a wonderful day. ... I have placed an inquiry to retrieve the information regarding you promotion, you will receive a letter within 5-7 business days informing you if your account has met the terms and conditions of the promotion. The letter will also provide you with a timeframe as to when you can expect your reward. Please review the address below to ensure we have the correct address on file.
And then:
Recently, you contacted us regarding your Citibank AAdvantage Promotion. We appreciate your patience while waiting for our response.

You have met the terms and conditions for Promotion C25A, so we are delighted to tell you a credit of 25,000 miles has been processed to your AAdvantage account ****** on April 4, 2011. It may take up to 10 days for the miles to reflect on your account. Thank you for participating in Citibank's promotion.
Woohoo!
Old Apr 8, 2011, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greattypo
An earlier poster reported success getting miles when Citi "opened an investigation" on their behalf. So, I sent a secure message and specifically asked for an investigation to be opened.

Woohoo!
Cool. So when did you opened the account?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Is this dead?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
I tried C25A on 14 Apr and got an error message. Is there a new Code?
Old Apr 15, 2011, 8:30 am

C25A ended on 3/31/11 according to the rep I just talked to. She said there are two 'new' offers, but she can't tell me the code and suggested I used google and yahoo to find it.

She hinted that yahoo would be the better place. . . but I haven't been able to locate any recent codes besides C25A and C22D, both of which are expired.

She said that the statements for March should have had offers for some citi card members, but I'm not at home to check. If anyone finds them can you please send me a PM?

-TK
Old Apr 15, 2011, 8:36 am

just completed the offer and was awarded miles. i opened acct 2-26 and finished 2nd month of 5 payments last week. i was doing pin based transactions and apparently one needs to make pin-LESS transactions, but it didn't seem to be a problem. i sent a secure message on wednesday and by thursday night the miles had posted.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by tkarrade
C25A ended on 3/31/11 according to the rep I just talked to. She said there are two 'new' offers, but she can't tell me the code and suggested I used google and yahoo to find it.

She hinted that yahoo would be the better place. . . but I haven't been able to locate any recent codes besides C25A and C22D, both of which are expired.

She said that the statements for March should have had offers for some citi card members, but I'm not at home to check. If anyone finds them can you please send me a PM?

-TK
What a teaser. I suggest you call and get someone else.

I didn't know there were two offers, but I called in referencing this one to find that it had expired and there was nothing they could do about it.

The nice lady did find a similar promotion though -- you can get 20k AA miles for opening up a citigold account all the way through June, she said. I asked if there was anything else and she said that there wasn't.

20k > 0k since I missed out on 30.

Good luck!
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
i found this.

http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...8056C2474D58C1
Old Apr 17, 2011, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by psyflyer
Damn, unfortunately that 20k check expired in January
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by scwam
The promo code is C24A , do people think it will still work? I am kind of desperate for AA miles since I have been banned from citi credit cards due to past churning
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:35 am

Programs: US, AA, Delta, BA, Hilton, Marriot, HYATT
Originally Posted by scwam
http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...8056C2474D58C1
This link is still working. For all other promo codes i am getting an error that the code is not valid. But using the link its going to account opening page.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:22 am
Used to be 'slotownmomma'

Programs: Too many to list!
Different reps - different info

I just called to see if the promo code C24A which still works on
http://citi.bridgetrack.com/cbol/DM_codeEntry.htm was still valid. He rep said no and there were no other offers at this time. Online you can continue through and open the checking acct it appears with no error at least at the first info page. I just wanted to be sure it was still valid before pulling the trigger. But if you are desperate for AA miles, I'd definitely go for it.
C24A
Has anyone located any new codes on yahoo as suggested? I'm going to look more now. I'll post for sure if I find something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.