Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2011, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yankeeflyer
Again, you default to a lengthy defense of Citi by talking about Chase's disclosure. I did not do the Chase deal, so I'm not aware of their policies and and I shouldn't have to check Chase's fine print to understand what Citi may or may not do.

You said that Citi disclosed this. Can you please refer me to the source of that information because I missed it? Thanks.
See Post 124 someone posted the Offer language.

There is a sentence right in the middle that you may truly have missed it.

<<Offer limited to United States (U.S.) citizens or resident aliens with a valid U.S. taxpayer identification number. Customer is responsible for taxes, if any.>>
Old Feb 26, 2011, 2:23 am

Any word if this will be extended beyond Feb. 28?

I am still waiting for the last 10K miles in the 20K promotion last year (will happen in March). This deal so much better.

I wonder if I should close the account, loose the 10K and open a new account to get the 25/30K.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:55 pm

Programs: SPG GLD
Pulled the trigger

Signed up the wife and I for the 30k citigold offer. We both recently received the Citi AA Amex/VISA and as others have reported, there was no place to enter your AA account during sign-up.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 9:47 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by bishes
Signed up the wife and I for the 30k citigold offer. We both recently received the Citi AA Amex/VISA and as others have reported, there was no place to enter your AA account during sign-up.
How do expect to get the miles if they don't even have your AA #?
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL Gold, SPG, AA, CO
Originally Posted by cutnana
Any word if this will be extended beyond Feb. 28?

I am still waiting for the last 10K miles in the 20K promotion last year (will happen in March). This deal so much better.

I wonder if I should close the account, loose the 10K and open a new account to get the 25/30K.
Just went to the website, keyed in C25A, and the fine print now says this:

To qualify for 25,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles, open a new regular account in The Citibank Account or, to qualify for 30,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles, open a new regular checking account in a Citigold account package by 3/31/11.

Looks like they extended it.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by marten.broadcloak
Just went to the website, keyed in C25A, and the fine print now says this:

To qualify for 25,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles, open a new regular account in The Citibank Account or, to qualify for 30,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles, open a new regular checking account in a Citigold account package by 3/31/11.

Looks like they extended it.
Great news! So I will be able to receive the tail end of last year 20K as well as this one.

Is there a wait period between closing an old account and opening a new account?
Old Feb 27, 2011, 5:13 am

I want to do this for DH, but I still haven't received my miles :-(
Old Feb 27, 2011, 6:19 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cutnana
Great news! So I will be able to receive the tail end of last year 20K as well as this one.

Is there a wait period between closing an old account and opening a new account?
By any chance, did you get a 1099?
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:02 am

I just completed this on the phone with a banker, and this process made me feel like all of the bases were covered.

I started with the online (offer.citibank.com); however, I had a nagging feeling that I had opened a savings at one point. So I called the account opening number on my invitation (866-524-8633) and the rep. offered to check on that question and open the new account while I was on the phone. I did have a savings which I hadn't funded (and it was already closed), so I was good to go. She made sure that I was in the correct account type, took my Aadvantage number, and confirmed the miles. I took the $25 option for the Aadvantage debit card.

One of the keys to keep in mind is that this offer only applies if you're a Citi Aadvantage credit card holder. This is why they know your FF number, even if you're not entering it online.

All in all, this took about 20 minutes on the phone. $6,000 balance for no fees, and the good old 5 debit purchases per month. 25,000 miles - very nice.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by napilimom
I just completed this on the phone with a banker, and this process made me feel like all of the bases were covered.

I started with the online (offer.citibank.com); however, I had a nagging feeling that I had opened a savings at one point. So I called the account opening number on my invitation (866-524-8633) and the rep. offered to check on that question and open the new account while I was on the phone. I did have a savings which I hadn't funded (and it was already closed), so I was good to go. She made sure that I was in the correct account type, took my Aadvantage number, and confirmed the miles. I took the $25 option for the Aadvantage debit card.

One of the keys to keep in mind is that this offer only applies if you're a Citi Aadvantage credit card holder. This is why they know your FF number, even if you're not entering it online.

All in all, this took about 20 minutes on the phone. $6,000 balance for no fees, and the good old 5 debit purchases per month. 25,000 miles - very nice.
And you don't mind the possibility of paying taxes on $625 of Citi-declared income, correct?
Old Feb 27, 2011, 5:51 pm
Used to be 'slotownmomma'

Programs: Too many to list!
How long for miles to post?

Does anyone have anything in writing from the offer that says how long they have to post the miles. I'm just concerned about how many months I would have to pay $20/month after the first 2 months are waived.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 5:57 pm

slotownmama, they told me within 90 days of completing the requirements, so at least 5 months.

1099? Not so worried - teamed up with child who doesn't make enough income to pay taxes.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 8:27 am
Used to be 'slotownmomma'

Programs: Too many to list!
Thanks napilimo,
Seems pretty good still, $20/month x 3=$60 for a free domestic ticket. I think I'll do one for myself and see how it goes with the posting of the miles. I have read other forums here on FT that give very bad reviews on how long & difficult Citibank can be with posting the miles. If it goes smooth, I'll do one maybe for hubby if they extended date which they already did once.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:03 pm

Programs: VS Flying Club Silver, SPG Gold, Star Silver
Debit vs Mastercard

Hi - stupid question but...

Does anyone know if I have to actually make 5 debit purchases using the pin each time. Or am I able to just use the card 5 times like a credit card, without entering a pin.

Thanks!
Old Mar 1, 2011, 5:03 pm

So let me get this straight:

+I received the targeted email with an expire date of March 31
+If I open a regular account put in $6k cash, keep it there for 2 months + 90 days, make 5 debit transactions in the first 2 months, I should definitely get the 25k miles?
+As long as I keep the $6k cash in the account, I will not pay $20/mth fee in the 5 months.

If so, I think i will try this out.

Is there any hard pull for this?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.