Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2011, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Because Citi also has the SAME disclosure, just not as specific as Chase. Citi did disclose it, just not as prominent as Chase did.

OP was complaining Citi issuing 1099 for bonus miles. Well, if Chase also tells you a 1099 would be issued on bonus miles received from banking products, ...
Again, you default to a lengthy defense of Citi by talking about Chase's disclosure. I did not do the Chase deal, so I'm not aware of their policies and and I shouldn't have to check Chase's fine print to understand what Citi may or may not do.

You said that Citi disclosed this. Can you please refer me to the source of that information because I missed it? Thanks.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold ,BA, SPG
Originally Posted by MLW20
Does anyone know if this offer only applies to new customers? I called the 1-800 and was told I did not qualify when I tried to open the account over the phone?

If this is so, does anyone know of checking offers open to current Citi customers for AA miles?
My understanding -- from talking to a Citi CSR -- is that if you already have a Citi checking account you cannot qualify for this promotion offer. On the other hand, it apparently IS mandatory that you currently have a Citi Aadvantage Credit Card.

Since other FTers seem to have had varying luck with getting this promotion approved, maybe you could try calling again. Perhaps a different CSR just might approve your application.

Good luck!
Old Feb 10, 2011, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott rewards, United, AA, Delta
Originally Posted by Happy
You may want to learn about the above terms as they are very commonly used to describe HOW the funds are being transferred.

No, it is not mean deposit and withdrawal - in fact, each term can mean BOTH, depends on which bank initiates the transaction (be it deposit or withdrawal) - the receiving bank or the sending bank that is.

The free ACH push is a big plus because both BofA and Wachovia charges $3 to $5 for this service just FYI.

Capital One does not charge either way. Brokerage firms generally also do not charge either way.

All banks and brokerage firms put a hold, usually 7 business days on WHEN funds from outside institutions before such funds become available for withdrawal including an ACH in fund. Only Fed Fund Wire is available for withdrawal 1 business day after receipt. ACH is subject to hold because ACH can be reversed, especially when there fraudulent activities involved. The assumption is, 7 business days are enough to make sure there would not be reversal under normal circumstances.

Before you complain about all the inconvenience, you may want to read about the rules governing your bank accounts be it with HSBC or CU... you will find the Hold is applied, just a matter of degree.
Happy, you are not saying that Citi has started charging for the "push" or "pull" are you?
Old Feb 16, 2011, 5:04 pm

30k for miles open a Citibank or Citigold checking

Just got this in the email. what do you guys think?

We appreciate your business as a Citi / dvantage credit cardmember, and we'd like to show it with this special offer: open a Citibank or Citigold checking, complete everyday banking activities and qualify to earn up to 30,000 American Airlines
dvantage bonus miles.¹ Why? Because you deserve it, and we know it.

Terms and conditions of accounts, products, programs and services are subject to change.

1 This offer is available to Citi® / AAdvantage® credit card members who receive this communication. One offer per customer only. All accounts subject to approval and applicable terms and fees. Existing checking customers are not eligible for this offer. Offer may be modified or withdrawn at any time without notice, expires 3/31/11, is not transferable and cannot be combined with any other offer. Persons under 18 years of age are not eligible. To qualify for the 25,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles offer, first open a new regular checking account in The Citibank Account package, or, to qualify for the 30,000 AAdvantage bonus miles offer, first open a new regular checking account in a Citigold® account package by 3/31/11. Then, for either offer, within 60 days of account opening, you must also begin performing at least one direct deposit to, or at least two electronic bill payments or five or more debit card purchases from, the checking account each month for 2 consecutive months. Electronic bill payments are those made using Citibank® Online, Citi MobileSM, or CitiPhone Banking®. A bill that is paid by making a transfer between linked accounts does not qualify as a bill payment for this offer. Offer limited to United States (U.S.) citizens or resident aliens with a valid U.S. taxpayer identification number. Customer is responsible for taxes, if any. The AAdvantage® bonus miles will be credited to your AAdvantage® account within 90 days from the end of the statement period in which you met all qualifying requirements stated in this offer. Your Citibank account and Citi® / AAdvantage® credit card account must be open and in good standing at the time the AAdvantage® bonus miles are posted to your AAdvantage® account.

2 The annual fee for the Basic Citibank® / AAdvantage® debit card is $25. The annual fee for the Premium
Citibank® / AAdvantage® debit card is $65 but is waived for Citigold customers.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL Gold, SPG, AA, CO
Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

I sense a large influx of temporary checking accounts to be soon opened if this is an offer everyone can get in on.

Namely, everyone who just applied for AA Citi cards.

*gets in line*
Old Feb 16, 2011, 5:53 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I was just approved for the 75k credit card today, hope that I will be able to qualify for the offer.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 8:18 pm
Suspended

IIRC, people have had difficulties getting the miles from these checking account offers. There's older threads on similar offers that you may want to read
Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:16 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jclay1212
I was just approved for the 75k credit card today, hope that I will be able to qualify for the offer.
I should also mention that I also applied for the AMEX and got approved as well!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:23 pm

Customer is responsible for taxes, if any.

Citi sent out a ton of 1099s on the savings account. $125 for 5000 miles.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 7:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Within 60 days of account opening, you must begin performing at least one (1) direct deposit to, or at least two (2) electronic bill payments from the checking account or five (5) or more debit card purchases from, the checking account each month for two (2) consecutive months.
Do they mean calander month or billing cycle month for 5 debit transactions?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Aitchly
Customer is responsible for taxes, if any.

Citi sent out a ton of 1099s on the savings account. $125 for 5000 miles.
As much I would like 30K miles (I got the flyer in the mail also), the mere prospect of getting a 1099 makes it a non-started for me
Old Feb 21, 2011, 5:21 pm

I just called an 800 number given to me by online chat. I called the number and spoke to Michelle Harrison who said to call back 877-890-7174 to get this completeled over the phone to make sure it's done right. I got no definitive answer on my original call if the bonus 2k miles can be combined with offer code C25A. The only definate info I got is
6k minimum bal for the 25k (0.01% interest)
50k min bal for the 30k offer
previous cardholder
end feb 28th. (I'd like to have the offer code by a previous member saying march)
Never got a direct answer about the 1099 form unless it is directly used for monetary rewards, particulary with points (miles undetermined). Was told that she has seen people try to open 2 separate accounts (1 for premium and one for standard) and the later get no miles credited.
Their websight is screwy as they apparently don't have the databases linked to the 2k/4k bonus offer. I try to put in my correct passwords for both my personal and business on that page and get wrong password error.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by alias_in_montana
I just canceled my Citibank checking account, before getting all of the miles (they still owe me 10,000) Why?

1. Utterly incompetent customer service, right from the start. They lost my "welcome package", my account opening money was in limbo... speaking of that...

2. Any monetary transfer involving this account took a week, minimum. I have several other accounts and do this regularly, so I know this is not the norm. Citi drags their feet, probably to suck a few extra dollars out of their customers. Speaking of that.....

3. Fees. the account I signed up for was free if I maintained a direct deposit, which I did. Not so fast, they decided to start charging me $20 A MONTH (!!) for the honor of letting them have my money. I called and complained, the Indian guy on the phone (see #1) said they would reduce the fee to $8 if I made 5 qualifying transactions a month, never mind that they are changing the terms of our agreement. They sent me a letter, after all! Additionally, while I was overseas, Citi charged me a 4 percent "foreign transaction fee" for using a CITIBANK ATM!! It was in their lobby!!

4. I had to nag them REPEATEDLY for them to live up to their end of the bargain and credit the miles. It took months for me to get the partial miles I received.

5. 1099's?? for miles? Nuff said.

I do a lot to accrue miles, but I'll never subject myself to the ShittyBank experience ever again.
Frequent flyer miles are not income (unless converted to cash) and do not have to be reported as income. This has been IRS policy for many years--since a 2002 ruling they made. I have received hundreds of thousands of frequent flyer miles from various airlines and other sources and have (1) never received a 1099 on ANY of the awards and (2) never included them as income on my 1040.

If you should ever receive a 1099 for miles, just file it with your tax records should the IRS not follow their own ruling and flag your return for unreported income.

This is a total non-issue. Forget it.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by Jasper2
Frequent flyer miles are not income (unless converted to cash) and do not have to be reported as income. This has been IRS policy for many years--since a 2002 ruling they made. I have received hundreds of thousands of frequent flyer miles from various airlines and other sources and have (1) never received a 1099 on ANY of the awards and (2) never included them as income on my 1040.

If you should ever receive a 1099 for miles, just file it with your tax records should the IRS not follow their own ruling and flag your return for unreported income.

This is a total non-issue. Forget it.
Right or wrong (and I agree with you, it is wrong), Citibank has begun to issue 1099's for bonuses on bank accounts this past year. Are you aware of that?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 5:23 pm

Here's what my CSR just told me:
Citibank package for 25k miles: non of the following can be combined they have to be done on consecutive months. Months are considered from the day you call in to sign up or dot com in to sign up. Not when it funds nor the beginning of the calendar month.
* 1 Direct deposit
* 2 bill pays
* 5 debit card transactions within first 60 days
* $20.00 a month (if not above the $6,000 threshold) with the first two months waived.

I think it's pretty simple. At most the 25k costs is 60 bucks plus whatever interest you were counting on on that $100 initial deposit.

Am I missing something here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.