Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:54 am

Has anyone gotten their miles yet from this promo? I'd love to know how long it took from account opening before the miles were posted. If they are really going to wait the full "allow 8 weeks" deal to get me my miles that's a pain but at least I know. It's been almost 3 months now since I opened (so I satisfied the requirements a month ago) and still no points. I have a feeling this will be a fight. What a pain. Never again citibank.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by BBDDPP
Has anyone gotten their miles yet from this promo? I'd love to know how long it took from account opening before the miles were posted. If they are really going to wait the full "allow 8 weeks" deal to get me my miles that's a pain but at least I know. It's been almost 3 months now since I opened (so I satisfied the requirements a month ago) and still no points. I have a feeling this will be a fight. What a pain. Never again citibank.

i got them immediately after my second month of 5 debit card transactions. just send a secure message and ask!
Old Apr 25, 2011, 5:15 am

This was their generic-looking reply when I asked about my miles...sigh...I did not open direct deposit or debit purchases, but made around 5 electronic payments from the checking account each month since opening for 3 months now.

Welcome to Citibank Online. It is a pleasure to hear from you today and hope you are having a good week. I can understand your concern with the delay in receiving your bonus AAdvantage miles.

Listed below are the details for promotion: C25A:

-To qualify for 25,000 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles, open a new regular account in The Citibank Account package by 02/28/2011

-Within 60 days of account opening, you must begin performing at least one direct deposit to, or at least two electronic bill payments from the checking account or five or more debit card purchases from, the checking account each month for two consecutive months

-The American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles will be credited to your American Airlines AAdvantage account within 90 days (3 months) from the end of the statement period in which you met qualifying requirements stated in this offer.

Based on the information listed, you should receive the miles by your 06/30/2011 statement.

Keep in mind, your Citibank regular checking account in the Citibank Account package and Citi/AAdvantage credit card account must be open and in good standing at the time the American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles are posted to your American Airlines AAdvantage account.

The additional 5,000 miles are for accounts opened in the CitiGold package.

In further review, it seems your account has not been unblocked for check writing features. Please dial 1-866-448-1868 available 24 hours a day 7 days a week to remove the block, otherwise check written against your account will be returned unpaid.

Thank you for making Citibank your bank of choice among all other options. We look forward to serving you for many years to come.

At Citibank we take customer satisfaction seriously, and invite you to share your opinions about the service you received. Please click the link below to take a short survey on your contact experience. You will need the reference number listed above to complete your feedback.

Send Your Opinions

If there is anything else we can do for you, please send us a message or call Citibank Online Client Services at 1-800-374-9700. Internationally, you can call us collect at 001-210-677-0065. We are available to assist you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I am confident that I have addressed all of your concerns today. Have a pleasant day.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 12:05 pm

Programs: US, AA, Delta, BA, Hilton, Marriot, HYATT
Originally Posted by show_me_the_points
The promo code is C24A , do people think it will still work? I am kind of desperate for AA miles since I have been banned from citi credit cards due to past churning

I called CS 800-374-9500 and opened an account just now. 20K offer is still available if you call. I asked him for the code but he gave me some story and wanted me to open it on phone with him (I can understand ....). Be prepared to be on phone for about 30 mins.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by virtuo0
I called CS 800-374-9500 and opened an account just now. 20K offer is still available if you call. I asked him for the code but he gave me some story and wanted me to open it on phone with him (I can understand ....). Be prepared to be on phone for about 30 mins.
I am on the phone right now with the promotion that ends April 30,11. Call direct to: Crystal at 859-283-3623 (OR) CS at 1-800-374-9700. It is for the 20,000 AA miles with the same qualifications as above. Code C233. NOTE: she told me the qualifications will change after this promotion and will not have the 5 debit transactions. ENDS 4/30/11 if you sign up now you are covered.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
I am hoping Citibank takes the cue from credit card offers and comes with at least a 50K miles offer. I am waiting!
Old Apr 27, 2011, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by gohogs34
I am on the phone right now with the promotion that ends April 30,11. Call direct to: Crystal at 859-283-3623 (OR) CS at 1-800-374-9700. It is for the 20,000 AA miles with the same qualifications as above. Code C233. NOTE: she told me the qualifications will change after this promotion and will not have the 5 debit transactions. ENDS 4/30/11 if you sign up now you are covered.
The C233 code seems to work with the link in post 195. Tempting, though the disclosure does say that 1099 may be issued.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 1:59 am
Used to be 'slotownmomma'

Programs: Too many to list!
Another code

Just wanted to let you know about another code that is working
C2KX

Open a citibank or citigold account by 6/30/11, make a qualifying transaction/month (eg 5 debit card purchases) for 2 consecutive months for 20,000 miles.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 4:42 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by oregonocean
i got them immediately after my second month of 5 debit card transactions. just send a secure message and ask!
Mrs User Name and I tried that for our two individual accounts. Both got told to bog off. Asked again nicely and got told to bog off a second time. Oh well.

The way that the responses were worded though made it clear that the original mail had not been read properly, and one of the replies quoted 90 days to wait and the other 120.

These basic communication errors, coupled with the unbelievable hassle and hurdles Citi erected that I had to overcome just to fund the bloody account makes me glad that I'm only fleecing them for miles. I would never, ever consider having a serious banking relationship with this toytown outfit.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The bonuses for these accounts are really going down. There was a 40K bonus about six months ago, then the 30K on which this thread is based, and now 20K.

I know these things fluctuate, but it seems to me like Citi is winding this down, probably in advance of the new banking regulations that come into effect this summer.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by User Name
These basic communication errors, coupled with the unbelievable hassle and hurdles Citi erected that I had to overcome just to fund the bloody account makes me glad that I'm only fleecing them for miles. I would never, ever consider having a serious banking relationship with this toytown outfit.

I couldn't have said it any better. Same experience for me. Took multiple tries to get it funded. Had to call to get them to get them to send me a debit card. Had to call to get them to send the pin. Everything is a hassle and filled with barriers.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 7:21 am

Programs: DL PM; AA Gold; Hyatt Globalist; HH D, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by samdori
I couldn't have said it any better. Same experience for me. Took multiple tries to get it funded. Had to call to get them to get them to send me a debit card. Had to call to get them to send the pin. Everything is a hassle and filled with barriers.
Citi is far and away one of the worst "banks" I have ever dealt with. Be forewarned if you think you are getting these miles for "free", they will try and get you at every turn and it is a tremendous headache to actually make sure you meet the requirements and don't get charged fees, etc. If you think this is an easy miles grab, think again. Citi has zero, perhaps negative, customer service. I would guess anyone who has had an account with them would concur-terrible, not even close to worth the hassle, IMO.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AA, US Air, Amex MR
Looks like the 5 debit card transactions are the easiest minimum to meet. Noticed in some of the T&Cs that there is a $25 annual fee for the AA Debit Card. Does anyone know if there is a free debit card that can be used? Also, I was looking at code C233 and planning to open "The CitiBank Checking Account".
Old Apr 28, 2011, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Rubaflo
... Noticed in some of the T&Cs that there is a $25 annual fee for the AA Debit Card. Does anyone know if there is a free debit card that can be used? ...
You can get a free debit card if you are a Citigold customer (along with other benefits). Last time I checked, you needed to have something like $60K in combined/linked assets at Citi.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 4:18 pm

Programs: US, AA, Delta, BA, Hilton, Marriot, HYATT
T&C says "This offer is available to CitiŽ / AAdvantageŽ credit cardmembers who receive this communication." When i called CS they didn't mention anything about need to have credit card. CSR asked me for AA# while opening the account (elsewhere in the forum it is mentioned that AA# is pulled from credit card account). Make sure that you don't need credit card to qualify.

Last edited by virtuo0; Apr 28, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.