Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2011, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
I pushed again to try to get my 25K miles expedited and they won't do anything besides making me wait 3 months.

I currently have a 0 balance. If I leave the account open, will they try to charge me a monthly fee and will they be successful?
Old Jun 1, 2011, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by $1500forGLD
I pushed again to try to get my 25K miles expedited and they won't do anything besides making me wait 3 months.

I currently have a 0 balance. If I leave the account open, will they try to charge me a monthly fee and will they be successful?
You really dont want to play with fire on the 0 balance because if they charge the fee and the account goes into negative, one or more of the following events could be triggered: Overdraft, thus more fee. Account NOT in good standing, thus no bonus. Account in rear, thus a report sent to reporting agency...

This is called penny wise pound foolish by leaving the account at 0 balance. Of course YMMV.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP
Anyone received a 1099 for the 20K offer? Seems as though it would be under the $600 threshold.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Gripes! Just realized I'm past the 60 day mark and haven't yet completed any of the required tasks. Anyone know of a possibility of an extension? I called and they said to go in to a branch and talk to them about it - not sure why, but I'll try it.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 1:33 pm

Programs: CO, Hilton, SPG
Got my miles!!

Sent a secure message Sunday night with my AAdvantage number and that I completed all of the promo requirements. Received first response Monday that they were looking into it. Received another response on Tuesday (today) that they deposited the miles into the account. Sure enough my awardwallet shows my 25,000 miles. I dunno if Citi is just inconsistent, but this was as easy as Chase for me. The only annoyance has been keeping 6k in the account to avoid the fees.

Anyone know how long after I get my miles I can kill the account?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by newlywed520
Immediately. There is nothing in the terms saying that account must be kept open and Citi has not been known to pull back miles for closing an account early.

I have had my citigold account 3.5 months now. So far no maintenance fees during the first 3 billing statements despite only having a few hundred dollars in the account. Hope I get the miles once soon. I asked for them once and they said to wait until the 90 days is up.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Originally Posted by newlywed520
Sent a secure message Sunday night with my AAdvantage number and that I completed all of the promo requirements. Received first response Monday that they were looking into it. Received another response on Tuesday (today) that they deposited the miles into the account. Sure enough my awardwallet shows my 25,000 miles. I dunno if Citi is just inconsistent, but this was as easy as Chase for me. The only annoyance has been keeping 6k in the account to avoid the fees.

Did you have to wait the 90 days after you met the requirements?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By the way, you've got to watch these Citi accounts like a hawk. They've tried to charge me $20 on two accounts recently, claiming I had less than $6K in the accounts.

I had more, always.

But they didn't have them consolidated correctly, or something like that. Of course, they all show on my home page together.

They fix it each time, but they make it difficult.

I'm closing most that I've opened over the years since there's basically no point to having them anymore.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:59 am

Programs: AA, BA, CO
is this thing worth it??? the 1099??? i brushed this offer off when it came out because people were talking about the 1099. What's the deal?
thanks.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've gotta chime in about Citi's inconvenient user-interface design. I had a login for Citicards, but then when I was talked into adding a checking account for the miles promotion, they made me set up another login so now I go through citibank. Either way, you can also use citi.com, but you still end up having to choose the correct type of access from the User ID's dropdown box. And of course I now have to remember 2 different sets of ID/passwords.

And then recently my initial debit card expired, and I had to enter the new debit card's number while I was out of town, and of course I did not have the new debit card with me.

Of course, there are good features too, but I think banks ought to make it a priority for ease of use instead of making us hunt for things. Oh, while I'm at it, I want to complain about the tiny fonts too. Don't they know we are getting older and they need to make the words larger? Even "Sign-Off" is hard to find at a quick glance.

OK, back to my doldrum.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 4:39 pm

Programs: US, AA, Delta, BA, Hilton, Marriot, HYATT
Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
I've gotta chime in about Citi's inconvenient user-interface design. I had a login for Citicards, but then when I was talked into adding a checking account for the miles promotion, they made me set up another login so now I go through citibank. Either way, you can also use citi.com, but you still end up having to choose the correct type of access from the User ID's dropdown box. And of course I now have to remember 2 different sets of ID/passwords.
Your online banking access will be primary online account. You can simply link credit cards/mortgages to that account and access everything from one page. I think almost all banks do that now days.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by virtuo0
Your online banking access will be primary online account. You can simply link credit cards/mortgages to that account and access everything from one page. I think almost all banks do that now days.
Yes, I did that already. I don't think I was clear enough -- I don't plan to keep the checking account after getting the miles. I had walked into the branch planning to close out what i had there after getting that dreadful 1099, and was talked into staying ONLY based on th 30k-mile promotion.

Nevertheless, Citi's UI design is still the worst that I've seen, and I've had accounts in many places.

Also, Citi just admitted to a security breach.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 8:27 am

Just received a promo in the mail for DH for 23500 for Citigold and 10000 for a regular account. I think I'll jump on the 23500 for him. Only catch was that it was DD or bill pay only....no debit purchases.

Can I just make a bunch of little payments? I don't need to actually pay the bill in full, correct?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by twiggers
Can I just make a bunch of little payments? I don't need to actually pay the bill in full, correct?
Correct. You can pay any amount you like. I think there are a lot of people that like to make the minimum payment on their credit cards unfortunately. Also I think Citi would have no way of knowing how much your bill is.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by samdori
Correct. You can pay any amount you like. I think there are a lot of people that like to make the minimum payment on their credit cards unfortunately. Also I think Citi would have no way of knowing how much your bill is.
I believe the OP refers to bill pay such as paying your utilities.

I often split the utilities many times when a card makes me jump through hoop to earn a bonus (such as 5 purchases in X time) - just pay AT&T or whoever a $2 payment several times and I am done!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.