Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

finally got my 25k miles

and just in time for my next travel.

However, it took 4 months after satisfying the requirements. They gave me one reason after another for the delay. And now they want to start a service charge unless you keep 15k in the balance. So far I'm not impressed with the Citibank website, so it's time to exit.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 4:39 am

Programs: One Pass, BAEC, AA
I have not received the AA checking account offer by email - however I did receive the following Thank You points offer:

Get up to $400 in gift cards with a new
Citibank checking relationship¹.

As a valued Citi cardmember, you're eligible for an exciting new checking offer. When you open a new regular checking account in The Citibank® Account Package, you can receive 20,000 ThankYou® Points - redeemable for $200 in gift cards. And if you open a new regular checking account in the Citigold® Account Package, you can get 40,000 ThankYou Points - redeemable for $400 in gift cards.

Here's all you need to do:
1. Open a new Citibank checking account in The Citibank
Account or Citigold Account Package by 11/30/11.
2. Enroll the new checking account in Citi ThankYouSM Rewards.
3. Within 45 days of account opening, initiate one direct
deposit AND complete one electronic bill payment for two
consecutive months.

Or visit your local branch, or call 1-866-535-3902 and
mention code C2JE.

As I received this offer I will probably go for this one, instead of the AA offer - on the other hand I am 20K AA miles short of an award I would like - so may go for the AA checking offer.

Have people applied for AA WITHOUT HAVING RECEIVED AN EMAIL OFFER, and RECEIVED THE MILES???

many thanks
Old Nov 2, 2011, 9:25 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
not worth it if they tax my miles.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 11:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Before anybody applies for this Citi offer, please keep in mind that it can be a major PITA for the following reasons -
1) long time and followup required for miles to post
2) large balance required for avoiding fees
3) issuance of 1099 Misc for miles
For the above reasons, I will be avoiding this offer. There are many other better offers where you can score much more with much less effort.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 2:27 pm

Direct Deposit? Where is current link?

If I can find the link to the offer again (it was there yesterday!) 1-just closed the old debit account for 20,000 miles so can I apply within 30 days? 2) What is a simple direct deposit? My only direct deposit is salary which is needed for family checking and all the autopays- if I authorize local checking account to pay CITI account $50 per month will that do it? 3) I am looking at 10,000 mile offer now extended to Nov 30; it would seem if you had enough $ lying around for the 23,500 mile offer you could probably just buy the tickets!
Old Nov 3, 2011, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by gv111
Before anybody applies for this Citi offer, please keep in mind that it can be a major PITA for the following reasons -
1) long time and followup required for miles to post
2) large balance required for avoiding fees
3) issuance of 1099 Misc for miles
For the above reasons, I will be avoiding this offer. There are many other better offers where you can score much more with much less effort.
x23,500. Never again. Still waiting for miles to post from the citigold checking account I signed up for 5 months ago. Just starting to get hit with $30 / month fees. This offer is for masochists for sure.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 3:00 pm

Red face Link Found

First stupid question answered as first posting had working link (while most in thread went nowhere). Hey no one else ever asked a dumb question?
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
23.5k account

Received miles start of Oct account open about 4 mos. Just received a letter I will be charged $20. Per mo. Starting mid month unless I increase amount to $15k or have a mortgage etc. New policy anybody else get the letter?
Old Nov 6, 2011, 8:25 am

I am pretty excited to find this. This will be an easy 10k AA points for me.

**edit

No it doesn't look so easy. I dont have an extra 6k to part in Citi for 10k miles

Last edited by factory81; Nov 6, 2011 at 8:31 am
Old Nov 6, 2011, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mike2200
Received miles start of Oct account open about 4 mos. Just received a letter I will be charged $20. Per mo. Starting mid month unless I increase amount to $15k or have a mortgage etc. New policy anybody else get the letter?
I went to the local branch and they changed my account type to "Basic" to avoid the fees. Since I have other priority matters to take care of in the short term, I agreed and will see if I get a promotion either here or with another bank later. Chase sent out something about a $200 bonus if you open a new account but I already have accounts there.

There is one thing I have to complain about Citi. Every time I go to the local branch and want to close my accounts. The teller will ask me to explain why I want to close and will usher me to someone to "help" resolve my issues. I am really getting tired of this tactic. It makes me feel so like a coward when I agree not to close. Next time, I am going to tell them the reason is that "I want my money."

Last edited by ChaseTheMiles; Nov 6, 2011 at 11:15 am
Old Nov 7, 2011, 4:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
Originally Posted by mike2200

I went to the local branch and they changed my account type to "Basic" to avoid the fees. Since I have other priority matters to take care of in the short term, I agreed and will see if I get a promotion either here or with another bank later. Chase sent out something about a $200 bonus if you open a new account but I already have accounts there.

There is one thing I have to complain about Citi. Every time I go to the local branch and want to close my accounts. The teller will ask me to explain why I want to close and will usher me to someone to "help" resolve my issues. I am really getting tired of this tactic. It makes me feel so like a coward when I agree not to close. Next time, I am going to tell them the reason is that "I want my money."
I closed my account and had to talk to a assistant manager, I told him I had been offerred the account with no fees for having 6k in it and now they changed the rules. So I closed the account will wait to see if Citi yanks back the points
Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I think it's been two years since I opened my account. I still haven't gotten all of them. Most, but not all. I talked w the asst, the manager, tellers, everyone, still no dice. I called the 800 #, they direct me back to the branch manager, who is of no help.

Now, for all of you getting AA miles from our debit card, where are you moving to get further AA or other airline miles using a DEBIT card?
Old Nov 8, 2011, 4:06 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
A couple of months after satisfying the requirements, I called Citi and asked where my miles were. They said they'd call me back. Two days later (on a weekend) I get a call saying that my miles will be deposited within 3 business days. They were. I was able to close out the account before the fees started to hit.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: AA,UA, BA, DAL, FB
23,500 AA miles for new Citi checking

To qualify to earn 23,500 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles, first open a new regular checking account in a Citigold® Account Package by 12/31/2011. Or, to qualify for 10,000 AAdvantage bonus miles, first open a new regular checking account in The Citibank Account Package by 12/31/2011. Then, within 45 days after opening your new regular checking account, complete at least one of the following qualifying activities each month for two consecutive months:

• One or more direct deposits
• Two or more electronic bill payments

The above offer I believe is for Citibank credit card holders only. There is a similar offer for a new checking account but that gives 40,000 ThankYou points instead for a new Citigold checking. I'm not sure which is better, 40,000 TY points, which if you have the ThankYou Premier can can be used for flights with a 25% bonus, so basically $500 in filghts, or 23,500 miles.
The TY points expire in 3 years and there is some talk that Citi is now issuing 1099's for them. They have never done so in the past but who's to say what they do now?
Old Dec 8, 2011, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
My +1 got similar email.. it is for current CC holder... excellent deal ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.