Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2011, 2:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by dean1121
What's the collective wisdom on what level AA will status match if any.
Very recently AA appears to have started allowing a challenge to EXP where PLT is granted during the challenge period. To complete the challenge, anywhere from 16,667 to 50,000 BIS miles are needed, depending on booking code and class flown. This has never been allowed before, and I don't know how long it will last, but it looks to be a response to the changes UA/CO have made. Otherwise, the standard response would be to challenge to PLT and slog to EXP the hard way.

What are chances of upgrades from ATL to DFW and DFW to LAX for a PLat or EXP.
You should find upgrades into and out of ATL not overly difficult--I speak not on direct experience, but on my experience flying DFW-PIT, DFW-BWI and DFW-BOS, which I've had good luck with as both PLT and EXP. DFW-LAX and back can be more difficult, as that is a hub-to-hub route where you'll encounter considerable elite competition. Your own experience will probably depend most on what days of the week you tend to fly, and how early you buy your tickets--unlike DL, booking code (aside from full fare) has no bearing on upgrade priority.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by AnemicScarecrow
Is the challenge equivalent to earning the status in the current year or the prior year? My earned platinum runs out Feb 28, 2011 at which time I will be donwgraded to gold through Feb 29, 2012. If I earn platinum during this year, I will be platinum for the rest of this year and all of next year (through Feb 28, 2013). If I do a challenge from March 1, 2011 and get the 10,000 EQP (which will be no problem), will I have platinum through Feb 2012 (as if I earned it last year) or through Feb 2013 (as if I earned it this year)?
Welcome to FlyerTalk, AnemicScarecrow. I'd suggest thoroughly reading this thread's OP, and pay special attention to the link to the Elite Status Challenge page on the FlyerGuide Wiki. You'll find answers to all of your questions there, like how long challenged status lasts and when you can challenge to get back to PLT. If you still have questions after checking out those resources, shoot 'em here and I'm sure you'll get the answers you need!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Microwave
Very recently AA appears to have started allowing a challenge to EXP where PLT is granted during the challenge period. To complete the challenge, anywhere from 16,667 to 50,000 BIS miles are needed, depending on booking code and class flown. This has never been allowed before, and I don't know how long it will last, but it looks to be a response to the changes UA/CO have made. Otherwise, the standard response would be to challenge to PLT and slog to EXP the hard way.

Is this true that there are now EXP challenges, beyond the special invitation ones? First I've heard of it but I'm not the most in the loop person.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 5:39 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AA EXP

You should find upgrades into and out of ATL not overly difficult--I speak not on direct experience, but on my experience flying DFW-PIT, DFW-BWI and DFW-BOS, which I've had good luck with as both PLT and EXP. DFW-LAX and back can be more difficult, as that is a hub-to-hub route where you'll encounter considerable elite competition. Your own experience will probably depend most on what days of the week you tend to fly, and how early you buy your tickets--unlike DL, booking code (aside from full fare) has no bearing on upgrade priority.
Thanks Microwave, I think I'll go for it now, I can easily do 50K over the next few months.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by coremill
Is this true that there are now EXP challenges, beyond the special invitation ones? First I've heard of it but I'm not the most in the loop person.
It's been discussed on other forums; at least two folks have started said challenge and reliable sources have verified that those with verifiable top-tier on US competitors may be extended the chance to challenge for EXP. It doesn't seem to be as "automatic" as the GLD or PLT challenges, and appears to be handled by a different group than regular ACS, but it does look like AA are making a play for other top-level elites, at least for now and under some pretty restrictive limits (no status on AA in the last couple of years, verifiable status, etc).
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:09 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
challenge to PLT and slog to EXP the hard way.
Quick question here. After completing the challenge to PLT, does one need the entire 100k EQM/EQP to make EXP, or just the difference between a normally attained PLT and EXP; i.e. 50k EQM/EQP after hitting PLT.

I'm guessing its the former but hoping its the latter
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium
You're right, it's the former. You have to get all 100k EQM/EQP
Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by SQ421
Quick question here. After completing the challenge to PLT, does one need the entire 100k EQM/EQP to make EXP, or just the difference between a normally attained PLT and EXP; i.e. 50k EQM/EQP after hitting PLT.
You need 100K total during a calendar year. So if you flew 10K in the challenge (to take a reasonable example), then another 90K before year end.

There are rumors that AA is allowing EXP challenge to top tier elites of other carriers to lure them away. If you have such a status elsewhere, it may be worth a call.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Hey guys.. i will be traveling soon and was wondering if i can get some feedback from the experts. I want to do the Platinum challenge.

Upcoming trips.

SJC/SFO -> JAX
SJC/SFO -> MCO
SJC/SFO -> SEA
SJC/SFO -> LAX
SJC/SFO -> Flagstaff.

Most probably it will be super cheap economy tix per company policy .

Any inputs on how to maximize the points so i can make the platinum challenge . I can re-route some trips if the cost of the extra stops is not greater than the average ticket.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by iqbalt80
Hey guys.. i will be traveling soon and was wondering if i can get some feedback from the experts. I want to do the Platinum challenge.

<snip>

Most probably it will be super cheap economy tix per company policy .
You'll have an extraordinarily difficult time making PLT with that flying. If you're stuck with fares that earn only 0.5 EQP/EQM, you won't make it at all. Basically, here's what you're looking at earning (assuming you can get them to comp you GLD during the challenge):

SFO-MIA-JAX-MIA-SFO (unless you want to take two transfers, this is the best routing): 6170 EQM, 3085 EQP
SFO-JFK-MCO-JFK-SFO (I don't even know if this is a valid routing for this city pair; if not, you'll have to route through MIA with the same earn rates as JAX above): 7060 EQM, 3530 EQP
SFO-SEA-SFO (only helps if you book the AA codeshare, which is usually around the same prices as the AS-coded ticket IME): 1357 EQM, 678 EQP
SFO-LAX-SFO: 1000 EQM, 500 EQP

As you can see, that puts you at 7793 EQP, more than two thousand EQP short of the requirement. Unless you are able to upfare one of the longer trips to a fare that earns 1.0 EQM/EQP, you'll miss out without taking an MR or scheduling more work travel. Unfortunately you won't be able to add any "creative routing" to the latter two flights without substantially increasing the airfare, but if your work will allow it that may also help. You could probably throw in a connection in ORD or DFW for the longer flights, but that wouldn't get you where you need to be, and would add considerable travel time to the flights. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
If you did this 100% on AA metal (other than PHX-FLG) then you would definitely make it. If you subbed in some AA coded AS flights you would need to do some catchup.

Connect in DFW for JAX, MCO and SEA.

SJC/SFO-LAX direct.

FLG is where it's tricky, as only US Express flies to FLG, and only from PHX. You could fly to PHX through DFW on AA then connect to US, or drive the ~2 hours in a rental car. If I were you I would just fly SFO/SJC-PHX-FLG on US and find some other way to makeup the ~1700 EQP you would need.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
Connect in DFW for JAX, MCO and SEA.
I disagree: connecting in MIA en route to JAX, and JFK on the way to MCO (which I have verified is allowed in the published fares I found for SFO-MCO), will result in the most EQM and EQP for these city pairs (assuming GLD is matched during the PLT challenge, which has been happening pretty easily of late). AA's published fares between both SFO and SJC and SEA prohibit changing planes in DFW, so multiple fares would end up having to be bundled together using a multi-city search, drastically increasing the fare and probably taking the ticket outside of iqbalt80's corporate policy. AA may allow SFO/SJC-LAX-SEA, but that wouldn't be enough extra EQP to put him over the top assuming the Flagstaff trip is entirely on US metal (see below).

FLG is where it's tricky, as only US Express flies to FLG, and only from PHX. You could fly to PHX through DFW on AA then connect to US, or drive the ~2 hours in a rental car. If I were you I would just fly SFO/SJC-PHX-FLG on US and find some other way to makeup the ~1700 EQP you would need.
I just did a search on aa.com, and AA aren't showing any results between the city pairs SFO-PHX or SJC-PHX. A mutli-city search was needed to show flights via DFW, which resulted in a far higher fare than the lowest available fare. For example, just going SFO-DFW-PHX and back on March 15th through 17th results in a lowest fare of more than $550--and that doesn't include the trip to Flagstaff from there on US. US will sell you a seat SFO-PHX on the same dates for $300+ less than that. If iqbalt80 is required by corporate policy, AA will have to be avoided on this trip altogether--as such, I agree that the trip should be just taken on US, which would leave a substantial deficit in EQPs.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:48 pm

AA's published fares between both SFO and SJC and SEA prohibit changing planes in DFW, so multiple fares would end up having to be bundled together using a multi-city search, drastically increasing the fare and probably taking the ticket outside of iqbalt80's corporate policy.
As I've flown SEA-DFW-LAX, I incorrectly assumed that SEA-DFW-SFO/SJC would be allowable, sorry!
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
As I've flown SEA-DFW-LAX, I incorrectly assumed that SEA-DFW-SFO/SJC would be allowable, sorry!
No need to apologise! FWIW, I just did a search to see SEA-LAX, and it isn't showing any connections through DFW... The lowest price outbound March 15 returning March 17 is $199 (with AA codeshares operated by AS, non-stop SEA-LAX and LAX-SEA), whereas forcing a connection in DFW gives the cheapest fare on those dates of $514. I've never seen a DFW connection offered between SEA and LAX (I would have taken it if it were shown!).
Old Feb 23, 2011, 1:11 pm

No need to apologise! FWIW, I just did a search to see SEA-LAX, and it isn't showing any connections through DFW... The lowest price outbound March 15 returning March 17 is $199 (with AA codeshares operated by AS, non-stop SEA-LAX and LAX-SEA), whereas forcing a connection in DFW gives the cheapest fare on those dates of $514. I've never seen a DFW connection offered between SEA and LAX (I would have taken it if it were shown!).
It was February 2008, IIRC.

I also didn't pay for it, though I doubt my father forced a connection through DFW and paid 2.5x the price!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.