Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2011, 3:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by jasongc87
One thing that I am wondering is I will get status between the flights from LAX-JFK-HKG, does that mean on my flight back I will get the bonus points?
Considering you will hit 10k EQP on your flight JFK-HKG, you will earn the 100% plat RDM bonus for that flight as well as for all your later flights. It's possible that some of your bonus miles may not appear for flights around qualification. If this happens just call up AAdvantage CS.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by aktchi
That is correct, but...If they could wait 3 months and begin the challenge on 6/16 (or later), the Plat status will be good through Feb 2013 and soft-landing Gold through Feb 2014.
This is a good point. It also gives you a full year in 2012 to re-qualify the "regular" way.

I earned my PLT through a challenge after 6/16 last year and got the coveted "02/2012" PLT card instead of "02/2011."
Old Mar 8, 2011, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by brp
Then you'll still get the 1.0 EQP (I had assumed that this flight was originally in a 0.5 EQP fare as well). In any event, the original booking class determines the earning in the case of upgrades.
AA lists A as 1.5 EQP/mi. Is it even POSSIBLE to buy an A fare?

I've got A tix that I did paid upgrades (miles+copay) on for HNL, but the base fare is deep discount.

Does AA flat-out sell an A fare that would actually earn 1.5?
Old Mar 8, 2011, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by mreed911
AA lists A as 1.5 EQP/mi. Is it even POSSIBLE to buy an A fare?

I've got A tix that I did paid upgrades (miles+copay) on for HNL, but the base fare is deep discount.

Yes. "A" serves dual purpose: for upgrades and for revenue:
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...igibility_(AA)
Old Mar 8, 2011, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by mreed911
Plenty. Discount first shows up on aa.com as A and my AONE5 (5 continent Oneworld Explorer in First) books into A and earns 1.5 EQP per mile.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 5:03 pm

Hello everyone,

First of thanks for all the information on the thread and wiki, I'm a guy in his late 20s and never really paid attention to accumulating miles and frequent flyer programs till now.

I'll be going to Singapore at the end of June (AUS-LAX-PVG-SIN)* and is thinking of doing the PLT Challenge. A few questions; since my flight will be on June 30th, if I call in on June 16th to start the challenge, does my status expire in Feb of 2012 or 2013? Different posts/wiki/website seem to indicate different time frame.

AA is doing a promo for the LAX-PVG leg where miles are counted double, does that apply to the challenge? Also, on the return trip (TPE-NRT-DFW-AUS) I should have obtained 10k miles by the time I arrive in NRT, would I have PLT/access to the lounges immediately?

Thanks.

*PVG-SIN is on Singapore Airlines and I understand does not count towards miles or challenge.

Last edited by sammaverick; Mar 8, 2011 at 5:12 pm
Old Mar 8, 2011, 5:20 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Welcome to FlyerTalk and the AA forum, sammaverick!

Glad to see you've already found the forum wiki and have had a chance to peruse it. I'll tackle a few of your questions, and let other experts chime in where I'm ignorant.

- The LAX-PVG promo earns additional REDEEMABLE miles. Those bonus miles do not have any impact on the Elite Qualifying POINTS that you're garnering for the challenge. (Remember, elite qualifying points are calculated based on the fare you buy; cheap/discount fare buckets earn .5 points per mile flown versus higher/more expensive fare buckets could earn up to 1 or 1.5 points per mile. Be sure you check out the chart on this page and look carefully at the EQP column: http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...ility_%28AA%29)

- You should have full PLT benefits after your miles post to your account. Nowadays, flights generally post to your AAdvantage account the day after your flight. If by the time you land in NRT all your flights that contribute to your 10,000 EQP have posted, then you should be fine. (You may need some manual intervention from an AAgent to update your account - others can chime in with their more recent experiences.)

Good luck with your challenge and enjoy your trip!! ^
Old Mar 8, 2011, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by sammaverick
my flight will be on June 30th, if I call in on June 16th to start the challenge, does my status expire in Feb of 2012 or 2013?
2013. You should be able to call any time after June 1. Make sure to specifically request a June 16 start date. Have fun!
Old Mar 9, 2011, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by _kurt
2013. You should be able to call any time after June 1. Make sure to specifically request a June 16 start date. Have fun!
I'm pretty sure you can call any time after May 1st. There seem to be 3 future challenge start dates available at any given time.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 9:10 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Fairmont Premier, DL, CO
Hi Everyone, I am new to AA and am interested in a Status Challenge. I currently fly DL, however have not been elite for a few years. My travel will increase drastically in the fall beginning with the two trips below. Am I correct that these two trips will allow me to achieve Gold through a Status Challenge? Also, would it be worth it to book a cheap flight to achieve the remaining few hundred miles required for Platinum? I fly primarily domestic and Caribbean itineraries. Thanks in advance for your help!

JFK - PLS; Booking Class I (1.5 x miles); 3,910 Miles
JFK - AUA; Booking Class I (1.5 x miles); 5,880 Miles
Old Mar 12, 2011, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
If you want to do a platinum status challenge, you need to pay a bit more at the start of it. As far as it being worth it, there's a long-running thread here about the perks of PLT versus GLD on AA.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by nickp7286
JFK - PLS; Booking Class I (1.5 x miles); 3,910 Miles
JFK - AUA; Booking Class I (1.5 x miles); 5,880 Miles
Hi, Nick!

A reminder...it's 2,620 miles or 3,910 points. Points is what counts for a challenge.

Your first route is 3,910 points, and your second is 5,880 points, for a total of 9,790 points. If you were going for AAdvantage Platinum, you'd need another 210 points or no more than 420 miles (if you were in deep-discount Economy). A mileage run R/T to Chicago would be more than enough.

Remember that you need to tell AA in advance and pay your "entry" fee. You could also do the extra trip before your second one, and you should be moved up to AAdvantage Gold status for your second trip.

(Someone else double-check me on this. It's the first time I ran the math for another poster.)

Have fun!

Bill
Old Mar 12, 2011, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Fairmont Premier, DL, CO
Originally Posted by whherron
Hi, Nick!

A reminder...it's 2,620 miles or 3,910 points. Points is what counts for a challenge.

Your first route is 3,910 points, and your second is 5,880 points, for a total of 9,790 points. If you were going for AAdvantage Platinum, you'd need another 210 points or no more than 420 miles (if you were in deep-discount Economy). A mileage run R/T to Chicago would be more than enough.

Remember that you need to tell AA in advance and pay your "entry" fee. You could also do the extra trip before your second one, and you should be moved up to AAdvantage Gold status for your second trip.

(Someone else double-check me on this. It's the first time I ran the math for another poster.)

Have fun!

Bill
Thanks Bill for the great advice, much appreciated!
Old Mar 13, 2011, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by whherron
Hi, Nick!

You could also do the extra trip before your second one, and you should be moved up to AAdvantage Gold status for your second trip.
AA does not automatically upgrade you to Gold after hitting 5k points. In fact, this is a rare exception.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
AA does not automatically upgrade you to Gold after hitting 5k points. In fact, this is a rare exception.
It is true that you do not automatically get Gold during a Plat challenge - you have to call and ask for it, but they usually do give it to you.

However, it seems to be even better than that. I posted about this earlier in the thread, but it was a while ago. Two of us in my office have signed up for the Plat challenge and he was given Gold immediately upon calling and paying. I called back to ask why I didn't qualify for the same and was told that it should have been done and before I was off the phone I had the Gold bar on my account.

I'm not sure that this really is "policy" but the agent acted like it was. I suggest to everyone who starts a PLAT Challenge to ask for Gold status, and see what happens. 25% extra adds up quickly, especially on long flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.