Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Duration of PLAT

It's cloudy here in Santiago today and apparently affecting my brain.

I started my challenge on 16 February and will have the points necessary for PLAT on 27 April. How long will my PLAT status last? I'm thinking until 2/2013, but I'm having trouble differentiating between reality and hope...
Old Mar 14, 2011, 1:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by zpaul
It's cloudy here in Santiago today and apparently affecting my brain.

I started my challenge on 16 February and will have the points necessary for PLAT on 27 April. How long will my PLAT status last? I'm thinking until 2/2013, but I'm having trouble differentiating between reality and hope...
Your status will expire at the end of Feb 12.
To maintain status through 2/2013 you need to start your challenge on 16 Jun 11
Old Mar 14, 2011, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Gamecock
Your status will expire at the end of Feb 12.
To maintain status through 2/2013 you need to start your challenge on 16 Jun 11
Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2011, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
I'm pretty sure you can call any time after May 1st. There seem to be 3 future challenge start dates available at any given time.
I stand corrected. Note that is after May 1st, exclusive. Meaning, May 2 or later.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 6:14 am

Programs: AA
I just signed my husband up for the PLT challenge as has 8 trips booked. I have printed out and read through all the information that FT has provided about the challenge but I do have one question. He has a trip planned to Fort Meyers FL in a couple of weeks. He will be flying from DFW-MIA with a "W" booking code and then flying from MIA -RSW in the same booking code. My question is since RSW is only 105 miles away how many EQP's would he earn? He is a lifetime Gold member so would he get 250 EQP's (which I thought I read on here)? I just needed veriification as he will be so close to getting the 10,000 EQP's within 90 days that every EQP counts.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:35 am

Programs: AMEX PL, Avis First, AA GLD
I am newbie when it comes to the challenges. I am going to be signing up for the Gold challenge. I am flying IND-DFW and then DFW-SEA and then R/T. I was wondering since I am signing up for Gold, should I just go ahead and sign up for Platinum instead? And what would be a good/fast way to beat the challenge? I currently live near IND so going to ORD or DFW is pretty easy. Any good runs out of there?
Old Mar 27, 2011, 8:09 am

Any different rules for expats based in Europe? The AA metal requirement is the big sticking point, especially for those of us based in cities other than AA gateways.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
It is true that you do not automatically get Gold during a Plat challenge - you have to call and ask for it, but they usually do give it to you.

However, it seems to be even better than that. I posted about this earlier in the thread, but it was a while ago. Two of us in my office have signed up for the Plat challenge and he was given Gold immediately upon calling and paying. I called back to ask why I didn't qualify for the same and was told that it should have been done and before I was off the phone I had the Gold bar on my account.

I'm not sure that this really is "policy" but the agent acted like it was. I suggest to everyone who starts a PLAT Challenge to ask for Gold status, and see what happens. 25% extra adds up quickly, especially on long flights.
When I was doing a PLT challenge last year, AA was unwilling to budge (even calling back and trying different agents) on giving me GLD part way through, even when I had ticketed more than enough travel to meet the PLT requirements. YMMV.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
No different rules - AA codeshares or metal, that's the ticket, iirc.

Originally Posted by Carolinian
Any different rules for expats based in Europe? The AA metal requirement is the big sticking point, especially for those of us based in cities other than AA gateways.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:03 am

PLT Challenge Minimum EQP's

I just signed my husband up for the PLT challenge as he has 8 trips booked. I have printed out and read through all the information that FT has provided about the challenge but I do have one question. He has a trip planned to Fort Meyers FL in a couple of weeks. He will be flying from DFW-MIA with a "W" booking code and then flying from MIA -RSW in the same booking code. My question is since RSW is only 105 miles away how many EQP's would he earn? He is a lifetime Gold member so would he get 250 EQP's (which I thought I read on here)? I just needed veriification as he will be so close to getting the 10,000 EQP's within 90 days that every EQP counts. I posted this last week in the PLT Challenge thread but no one has responded to me. Sorry if I am breaking any rules but I really need to know the answer to this question.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:06 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As long as he currently has status, he will get the guaranteed minimums. That would be 250 EQP for deep discount economy fares.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:19 am

Thank you so much!! He will be so excited to hear that as he always wanted to be PLT.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by robin13
Thank you so much!! He will be so excited to hear that as he always wanted to be PLT.
It's addictive - he'll want EXP next!
Old Mar 31, 2011, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
It is true that you do not automatically get Gold during a Plat challenge - you have to call and ask for it, but they usually do give it to you.
So, it sounds like if you only want Gold, simply paying the PLT challenge signup fee is enough to get it.
Then, everyone on your PNR can have free bags, elite seating, etc.... all for the price of a PLT signup fee.
Interesting loophole that would seem to not make financial sense for AA.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
So, it sounds like if you only want Gold, simply paying the PLT challenge signup fee is enough to get it.
Then, everyone on your PNR can have free bags, elite seating, etc.... all for the price of a PLT signup fee.
Interesting loophole that would seem to not make financial sense for AA.
I do not know this for sure, but I would presume that it is only for the duration of the challenge. I've already flown enough to get gold so I won't be able to speak from experience; I would doubt that AA gives a year of Gold away for $200, but maybe you're on to something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.