Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2011, 9:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by Nerfgirl
When you upgrade with cash/miles do you earn points at the original fare class or the upgrade?
You pretty much always always earn points for the original purchased fare class when a ticket is upgraded. One exception is when a ticket is upfared, which is essentially buying a revenue ticket in the higher fare class and using the previously purchased ticket as credit. Another is during IRROPS you are sometimes booked into a full fare inventory bucket and may earn at the higher level.
Old May 18, 2011, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking about purchasing the outbound in business and the return economy super saver. The 1EQP fare class is running about $1,600 and business one way (w/economy return) is about $1,700. If I'm reading how the EQP works correctly it looks like I'd get the same points, but the second way I get business for $100 more.

When you upgrade with cash/miles do you earn points at the original fare class or the upgrade?
With Q one way and I on the return you'd earn 0.5EQP/Mile on the one way and 1.5EQP/Mile on the other. So you'd average out at 1EQP/Mile assuming the same routes. Seems like a decent way to get guaranteed biz class on one set of the flights. I'd pay the extra $100 to ensure Biz class on one set of flights and then try to use miles/co-pay on the other set.

Edit to Add: If you include your specific dates we can probably help you out with more specific details on flights & costs.
Old May 18, 2011, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by mikelat
With Q one way and I on the return you'd earn 0.5EQP/Mile on the one way and 1.5EQP/Mile on the other. So you'd average out at 1EQP/Mile assuming the same routes. Seems like a decent way to get guaranteed biz class on one set of the flights. I'd pay the extra $100 to ensure Biz class on one set of flights and then try to use miles/co-pay on the other set.

Edit to Add: If you include your specific dates we can probably help you out with more specific details on flights & costs.
IAH to DUB, August 9 through the 20th. Looks like there are routes through MIA - MAD and DFW/LAX - ORD. I wouldn't mind adding a segment on the front end just to cushion the miles a bit (especially if the cost is the same). Gotta love FT for all the assistance. ^ It never occurred to me that there was anything better than award travel!

side note: IAH would be the most convenient, but I'm not ruling out HOU and DFW in my search. DFW is my base, but I have to be in the Woodlands the weekend I return and the price difference was pretty non-existent for more miles + convenience.
Old May 19, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Just another datapoint - signed my wife up for PLT challenge today starting 6/16. She'll qualify based on the following flights (EQP listed, not EQM/RDM):

6/22/11 AUS DFW O 250 (miles+copy to A, booked in V)
6/22/11 DFW HNL O 1,892 (miles+copy to A, booked in V)
6/29/11 HNL DFW O 1,892 (miles+copy to A, booked in V)
6/30/11 DFW AUS O 250 (miles+copy to A, booked in V)
7/19/11 AUS DFW T 0 (award ticket)
7/19/11 DFW MIA T 0
7/20//11 MIA BOS A 1,887 (purchased A, not upgraded A)
7/20//11 BOS LHR I 4,898 *Hits PLT on this flight @ 11,069 EQP
7/20//11 LHR AMS I 750
7/24/11 AMS LHR I 750
7/24/11 LHR BOS I 4,898
7/24/11 BOS MIA A 1,887
7/25/11 FLL DFW T 0
7/25/11 DFW AUS T 0

Also she was given GLD as of today (when we signed her up), so she'll be GLD and get the 25% bonus and have the flights count towards MTEU (the real reason we asked about GLD status) for the whole time.

Note: The rep was unsure, but said she might get the class of service bonus for traveling in A, even on an award ticket. I was under the impression that for EQM, you still only got that based on original purchased class with miles+copay. Am I wrong?

Cost: $240.

Reward: 30,488 RDM + 4 500-mile upgrades (and close to 4 more), and PLT through Feb 2013

Last edited by mreed911; May 19, 2011 at 7:44 pm Reason: Listed wrong code (corrected by Microwave)
Old May 19, 2011, 3:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I'm traveling Aug 9th through the 20th.
I'm thinking about purchasing the outbound in business and the return economy super saver. The 1EQP fare class is running about $1,600 and business one way (w/economy return) is about $1,700. If I'm reading how the EQP works correctly it looks like I'd get the same points, but the second way I get business for $100 more.
I think you may be getting a bit duped by your web search. aa.com does not show all fares, just a smattering of fares that they group into names like "economy flexible" and "super saver". These names don't really mean anything, but the booking class does (if you click the plus sign, next to your desired flight on the flight search result page, look at the line called "booking code"). The cheapest booking class that earns 1.0 EQP/EQM on that route is V. A V fare for your dates is $1233, whereas there is an N fare for $1033, and O fares even cheaper than that. If you place a hold on the "economy super saver" fare, you can then call AA to "upfare" your reservation to the V fare, which will get you you can get full EQP earn without having to buy a much higher fare class (like one that's labeled "economy flexible", which is very expensive) on the website. So while you say you're seeing $1600 as the cheapest fare that earns at full EQP, it most definitely isn't, and you can get those points much cheaper if you do a bit more searching and calling on the front end.

I urge you to read the Challenge page on the FlyerGuide wiki from top to bottom (although specifically the section titled Booking Flights for a Challenge), then check out and use the Inventory Classes and Mileage Eligibility page as a reference. Bottom line: save yourself some serious coin and fly in economy upfared to V.
Old May 19, 2011, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by mreed911
6/22/11 AUS DFW V 250 (miles+copy to A, booked in V)
6/22/11 DFW HNL V 1,892 (miles+copy to A, booked in V)
6/29/11 HNL DFW V 1,892 (miles+copy to A, booked in V)
6/30/11 DFW AUS V 250 (miles+copy to A, booked in V)
7/19/11 AUS DFW X 0
7/19/11 DFW MIA X 0
7/20//11 MIA BOS C 1,887
7/20//11 BOS LHR C 4,898 *Hits PLT on this flight @ 11,069 EQP
7/20//11 LHR AMS C 750
7/24/11 AMS LHR C 750
7/24/11 LHR BOS C 4,898
7/24/11 BOS MIA C 1,887
7/25/11 FLL DFW X 0
7/25/11 DFW AUS X 0
I'm really confused... I am assuming that the letters beteween the destinations and EQP numbers are booking classes? If not, my comments make no sense. First, only AA flight numbers count, so those European flights can't be booked under the BA code or they won't help. Second, flights booked into V earn at 1.0 EQP/EQM, not 0.5 as your math on the first four flights seems to indicate. Third, X and C are not revenue buckets on AA; they are buckets used for upgrades, and your original booking code determines earn rate. Third, there are no AA buckets that earn no EQPs... Some consolidator fares don't earn, are some of those flights listed as 0 EQP bought from a consolidator? I think the numbers above could be way off, so let's get to the bottom of it before you end up short.

The rep was unsure, but said she might get the class of service bonus for traveling in A, even on an award ticket. I was under the impression that for EQM, you still only got that based on original purchased class with miles+copay. Am I wrong?
Yes, the rep was wrong on two fronts. First, the original booking class determines earn rate for EQP. Second, all fares (except some consolidators) earn 1 EQM per mile spent, so it doesn't really matter what booking code is used. Cheap tickets and premium tickets alter the EQP/EQM earn rate, not the EQM earn rate.
Old May 19, 2011, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Microwave
I'm really confused... I am assuming that the letters beteween the destinations and EQP numbers are booking classes? If not, my comments make no sense.
Yep, corrected (above) to read O, not V. They are deep-discount.

First, only AA flight numbers count, so those European flights can't be booked under the BA code or they won't help.
Yep, they're AA flight numbers.

Third, X and C are not revenue buckets on AA; they are buckets used for upgrades, and your original booking code determines earn rate. Third, there are no AA buckets that earn no EQPs...
Damn. I'm not sure how I hosed that up. The classes are A and T, not C and X(brain fart), and it's PURCHASED A not upgraded A.

T is award ticket, is it not, which earns nothing?

Yes, the rep was wrong on two fronts. First, the original booking class determines earn rate for EQP.
Yep. You're right.
Old May 19, 2011, 5:11 pm

I see the updates, but still some mild corrections (shouldn't impact calculations though)... First, A bucket isn't offered between BOS and LHR as that flight has no first class cabin--it'd be a business class bucket, although business class fares also earn EQP at the same rate as paid A. Same problem with LHR-AMS: if you're flying on the AA codeshare, there's no A bucket on those flights either as there's no F on BA intra-European flights. You're right that award flights don't earn, so overall I think your numbers look good.

Originally Posted by mreed911
6/22/11 AUS DFW O 250 (miles+copy to A, booked in V)
6/22/11 DFW HNL O 1,892 (miles+copy to A, booked in V)
6/29/11 HNL DFW O 1,892 (miles+copy to A, booked in V)
6/30/11 DFW AUS O 250 (miles+copy to A, booked in V)
7/19/11 AUS DFW T 0 (award ticket)
7/19/11 DFW MIA T 0
7/20//11 MIA BOS A 1,887 (purchased A, not upgraded A)
7/20//11 BOS LHR A 4,898 *Hits PLT on this flight @ 11,069 EQP
7/20//11 LHR AMS A 750
7/24/11 AMS LHR A 750
7/24/11 LHR BOS A 4,898
7/24/11 BOS MIA A 1,887
7/25/11 FLL DFW T 0
7/25/11 DFW AUS T 0
Old May 19, 2011, 5:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
I see the updates, but still some mild corrections (shouldn't impact calculations though)... First, A bucket isn't offered between BOS and LHR as that flight has no first class cabin--it'd be a business class bucket, although business class fares also earn EQP at the same rate as paid A. Same problem with LHR-AMS: if you're flying on the AA codeshare, there's no A bucket on those flights either as there's no F on BA intra-European flights. You're right that award flights don't earn, so overall I think your numbers look good.
It may be a Y-UP/K-UP fare. Books into A for the domestic leg, probably books into I for international.
Old May 19, 2011, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
It may be a Y-UP/K-UP fare. Books into A for the domestic leg, probably books into I for international.
Understood. It still wouldn't show up as A for that segment.
Old May 19, 2011, 7:43 pm

Understood. It still wouldn't show up as A for that segment.
Lo and behold you're right. I've been managing the booking via BA's site (passport info, etc.) for the LHR-AMS piece, so I wasn't looking at AA. It's I. Edited above.
Old May 20, 2011, 9:10 am

If someone does a PLT challenge next week for roundtrip JFK-ZRH in D earning 1.5 points, he would only be PLT till 2/2012 if i am not wrong. However, if later in the year, they hit the 50,000 mark with miles as well, will it get extended to 2/2013?
Old May 20, 2011, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by WrLdTrvLnIndian
If someone does a PLT challenge next week for roundtrip JFK-ZRH in D earning 1.5 points, he would only be PLT till 2/2012 if i am not wrong. However, if later in the year, they hit the 50,000 mark with miles as well, will it get extended to 2/2013?
Yes. It's as if they were PLT this year, and any earnings apply to next year. The question becomes "is it worth it" in terms of mileage earned.... and only your flying pattern can help determine that.
Old May 20, 2011, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I think you may be getting a bit duped by your web search. aa.com does not show all fares, just a smattering of fares that they group into names like "economy flexible" and "super saver". These names don't really mean anything, but the booking class does (if you click the plus sign, next to your desired flight on the flight search result page, look at the line called "booking code"). The cheapest booking class that earns 1.0 EQP/EQM on that route is V. A V fare for your dates is $1233, whereas there is an N fare for $1033, and O fares even cheaper than that. If you place a hold on the "economy super saver" fare, you can then call AA to "upfare" your reservation to the V fare, which will get you you can get full EQP earn without having to buy a much higher fare class (like one that's labeled "economy flexible", which is very expensive) on the website. So while you say you're seeing $1600 as the cheapest fare that earns at full EQP, it most definitely isn't, and you can get those points much cheaper if you do a bit more searching and calling on the front end.

I urge you to read the Challenge page on the FlyerGuide wiki from top to bottom (although specifically the section titled Booking Flights for a Challenge), then check out and use the Inventory Classes and Mileage Eligibility page as a reference. Bottom line: save yourself some serious coin and fly in economy upfared to V.
Thanks for the information. I really appreciate all the help. I'm having difficulty finding the fares you talked about. I placed a hold on the cheapest aa.com fare (an 'o') and called american to upfare. They could do it, but a 'v' fare still ran me $1694, which I confirmed with ITA. I'm probably missing something somewhere, since this is my first time using that particular software. I'd love to know how and where you found the cheaper fare.

Thank you again to FT for all the assistance.
Old May 21, 2011, 7:06 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
IAH to DUB, August 9 through the 20th.
In early-mid August this fare is in 1600-1700 range. However, if you could wait about three weeks, the IAH-DEB fares drop to about 1300. Search for the booking codes H,K,L,M,W,V
(ITA syntax AA+ / f bc=H|bc=K|bc=L|bc=M|bc=W|bc=V).

Last edited by aktchi; May 21, 2011 at 8:24 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.