FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011
Old May 20, 2011, 11:44 pm
Nerfgirl

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by Microwave
I think you may be getting a bit duped by your web search. aa.com does not show all fares, just a smattering of fares that they group into names like "economy flexible" and "super saver". These names don't really mean anything, but the booking class does (if you click the plus sign, next to your desired flight on the flight search result page, look at the line called "booking code"). The cheapest booking class that earns 1.0 EQP/EQM on that route is V. A V fare for your dates is $1233, whereas there is an N fare for $1033, and O fares even cheaper than that. If you place a hold on the "economy super saver" fare, you can then call AA to "upfare" your reservation to the V fare, which will get you you can get full EQP earn without having to buy a much higher fare class (like one that's labeled "economy flexible", which is very expensive) on the website. So while you say you're seeing $1600 as the cheapest fare that earns at full EQP, it most definitely isn't, and you can get those points much cheaper if you do a bit more searching and calling on the front end.

I urge you to read the Challenge page on the FlyerGuide wiki from top to bottom (although specifically the section titled Booking Flights for a Challenge), then check out and use the Inventory Classes and Mileage Eligibility page as a reference. Bottom line: save yourself some serious coin and fly in economy upfared to V.
Thanks for the information. I really appreciate all the help. I'm having difficulty finding the fares you talked about. I placed a hold on the cheapest aa.com fare (an 'o') and called american to upfare. They could do it, but a 'v' fare still ran me $1694, which I confirmed with ITA. I'm probably missing something somewhere, since this is my first time using that particular software. I'd love to know how and where you found the cheaper fare.

Thank you again to FT for all the assistance.