Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2011, 3:14 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold
Challenge questions

Hello, I'm sure these questions are answered somewhere, but I'm hoping some friendly FTers can help me out for a second.

I just registered for the GOLD challenge starting 7/16 and going until 10/15. My first flight is LAX-JFK booked on M fare. It turns out this will get me 4950 miles (!) and just shy of the 5000. Do you think that if I call AA after this flight and plead to them they will just give me the GOLD status on the spot?

Also, since I am getting almost 5000 on one flight, I'm thinking I should have signed up for the Platinum challenge instead and go for 10000. Can I call them up and change to PLAT challenge? Should I do this now before it starts, or after my LAX-JFK flight?

Oh one more thing, if I change to PLAT challenge and then complete 5000 miles, do I get GOLD at that point, or is there no GOLD if you are short of the 10000 miles?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by mattolo
Hello, I'm sure these questions are answered somewhere, but I'm hoping some friendly FTers can help me out for a second.

I just registered for the GOLD challenge starting 7/16 and going until 10/15. My first flight is LAX-JFK booked on M fare. It turns out this will get me 4950 miles (!) and just shy of the 5000. Do you think that if I call AA after this flight and plead to them they will just give me the GOLD status on the spot?

Also, since I am getting almost 5000 on one flight, I'm thinking I should have signed up for the Platinum challenge instead and go for 10000. Can I call them up and change to PLAT challenge? Should I do this now before it starts, or after my LAX-JFK flight?

Oh one more thing, if I change to PLAT challenge and then complete 5000 miles, do I get GOLD at that point, or is there no GOLD if you are short of the 10000 miles?
Remember that the challenge is based on Elite Qualifying POINTS (not miles). However, since you're flying on an M fare, you'll get 1 EQP/mile. As you noted, you'll receive 4,950 EQM and 4,950 EQP for this flight.

Since the challenges are shortcuts to status as is, I don't see that AA would comp you GOLD if you don't fly 5,000 EQP (for Gold challenges). However, there have been several people that previously mentioned that they received comped GOLD status while on a PLATINUM challenge. If you decide to go for the PLT challenge instead, my recommendation would be to ask for comped GOLD status. It can't hurt (but far from guaranteed).

And, yes... you should do that before your flight posts.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 3:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by mattolo
Short answer: no.
Long answer (and also an answer to your next question): Call and upgrade to the Platinum challenge (there is an additional fee, so be prepared for this), and ask the agent to comp you Gold for the duration of the Platinum challenge. If you have status on another carrier already, tell the agent this and offer to send proof.

since I am getting almost 5000 on one flight, I'm thinking I should have signed up for the Platinum challenge instead and go for 10000. Can I call them up and change to PLAT challenge? Should I do this now before it starts, or after my LAX-JFK flight?
See above. Do it right away as you've got a good chance of getting Gold for the duration, opening up exit rows and premium seats for the forthcoming flights.

You won't get status until you complete the challenge, unless you get an agent to comp you Gold during the Platinum challenge.

Also, there's a huge red alert in your post: you keep referring to miles, but miles aren't what are used to complete challenges, EQPs (elite qualifying points) are. Your M fare between LAX and JFK will get you 1 EQP/EQM, so in that case miles flown matches up with EQPs, but that isn't always the case and you'll need to master this concept to avoid being very, very disappointed with the results of your challenge.

My advice: go to the first post in this thread and read the linked threads and Wiki articles (especially the FlyerGuide Wiki page on Challenges--read that top to bottom). This will clear things up and help you know what to expect. Good luck!

EDIT: The fast-typing miamigrad beat me to it on a lot of points... But they're good to read twice anyway.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:14 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I wanted to send an email detailing my business on UA (decade-long 1k gained mostly on international flights) and ask for a try for Plat Exec, even given that the formal program has ended: who would be best to email?

History: I asked this question on the relevant thread and got the unhelpful answer to email generic customer service. I was hoping for something a bit better than that from the helpful folks here at the AA forum. Maybe that is more forthcoming here? Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:48 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
If I wanted to send an email detailing my business on UA (decade-long 1k gained mostly on international flights) and ask for a try for Plat Exec, even given that the formal program has ended: who would be best to email?

History: I asked this question on the relevant thread and got the unhelpful answer to email generic customer service. I was hoping for something a bit better than that from the helpful folks here at the AA forum. Maybe that is more forthcoming here? Thanks in advance.
A completely non-confrontational question: Why do you think that answer was unhelpful? I'll admit that I don't know much about the old EXP challenge, but based on the info that's in that thread (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...tinum-exp.html) (esp. within the first few posts), it does seem like folks called in and spoke with AAdvantage Customer Service. With AAdvantage CS as the gatekeeper, it seems like a select group of folks have then been transferred over to AA Executive Offices where they were potentially offered an EXP challenge and asked to provide credentials for top-tier on another airline.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:09 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JY1024
A completely non-confrontational question: Why do you think that answer was unhelpful? I'll admit that I don't know much about the old EXP challenge, but based on the info that's in that thread (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...tinum-exp.html) (esp. within the first few posts), it does seem like folks called in and spoke with AAdvantage Customer Service. With AAdvantage CS as the gatekeeper, it seems like a select group of folks have then been transferred over to AA Executive Offices where they were potentially offered an EXP challenge and asked to provide credentials for top-tier on another airline.
I thought it unhelpful since I assume that any experienced FTer (like me) would have already figured that out and rejected it. In addition, there is commentary in the thread saying that customer service had told them the challenge was no longer available.

Hence to strike interest again, something else would likely be required. As an example, someone could have suggested (possibly via PM) the email of a person in the executive offices. Even if that just gets forwarded to customer service, my experience in other companies is that it still often gets better treatment.

This kind of "beyond the obvious" help that is found only on sites like FT has, for me, made a real difference in a few key instances.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Jul 14, 2011 at 3:18 pm
Old Jul 17, 2011, 8:06 am

Programs: AA Gold; Marriott Lifetime Silver; IHG Plat Amb; Hilton Diamond
I'm flying IAD-LAX-HNL-DFW-DCA outbound on 7/20 and return on 7/27. It's booked in Q class ($423 r/t) and I'll earn 9,820 EQM and 4,910 EQP.

My question is... is it worth it to gain Gold status on AA? I have them listed as my carrier on my Amex Plat so I already get up to $200 in bag fees back when I opt to check them. What can I expect in the way of upgrades on American as Gold? What additional bennies do Golds get aside from the 25% mileage bonus.

I am a Silver Medallion on Delta and am running a 66.7% success rate on upgrades so far this year. I've got an upcoming r/t NYC or PHL to LAX and am torn between trying to regain status on Delta (I'm 1/4 of the way there) or going for the easy Gold on AA. If I understand correctly I have until July 30 to decide as they can backdate the start date of the challenge by 15 days.

Any advice on the benefit of AAdvantage Gold vs. Delta Silver Medallion would be appreciated.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:40 am

AA PLT Challenge turned down due to "exception on account" 3 years ago

Hi All,

Been away for a while, but have previously been AA EXP, PLT and GLD over the last 8 to 9 years.

Over the last 3 years, my AA travel has dropped off due to a change in circumstances (no AA status as of this year when I dropped below Gold in March), but I am leaving for Europe today on a paid AA business class ticket.

I called the advantage desk to sign up for the PLT Challenge, but was declined as there had been an "exception on my account within the LAST FIVE YEARS". I had taken AA up on one of the buyback offers in 2008/9, I had only done 35,000 miles and opted for the Platinum buyback offer they had sent to me. I then missed hitting GLD the following year and dropped to zero this year as mentioned above.

Now, I know the rules that one cannot requalify with a challenge, go from one challenge to the other (GLD to PLT)..etc, but according to the Wiki, one cannot qualify if one has an exception in the last ONE year. The person I spoke to made a big point of saying that it was "anytime in the last 5 years". She did mention that I "may be elgible in a year". When asked if I could at least do the GLD challenge if they didnt want to grant PLT, I was also told no. Very disapointing news when I am about to earn over 10,000 q points in the next few days.

If this is true, then fine, but I wanted to check in with the savvy AA members on this board if it is indeed 5 years or 1 year according to the WIKI.

As a sidenote, I have a little over 750,000 lifetime miles with AA since joining in 2002. As mentioned, travel the last few years has been a lot less but this is a paid biz ticket and I am not sure why I received such a harsh response. The person I spoke to also made a huge deal about the fact they "granted" me the buyback option as if it was a huge favor on their part. The offer was unsolicited at the time, and more importantly, I did pay around $500 for it at the time. Hardly a "freebie favor" as she made it out to be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:45 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Call back and see if you get a different response from another agent.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:46 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by beerup
Call back and see if you get a different response from another agent.
+1.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:47 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Call again?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
The cardinal rule of FlyerTalk?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:19 am

Yes, will definitely call back, but I wanted to arm myself with some FT knowledge before I did
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:21 am

Agreed. I think you ran into one of the "not-so-informed, yet pretends to know everything/unwilling to even be made aware that they might be incorrect" AA CSRs. Unfortunately, IME, it seems there are many more of them, than those who are truly sincere/understanding CSRs.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by JohnG
Yes, will definitely call back, but I wanted to arm myself with some FT knowledge before I did
If you were still GLD as a result of the PLT buyback from two years ago, then yes you would have been ineligible for a challenge until that drop down to GLD expired. Since you currently have no status that was directly related to a previous challenge or buyback you are qualified for a new challenge.

Good luck and please post the outcome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.