Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2011, 8:05 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SpaceFlier
Alternatively, I also need to go from LAX to TLV in July. My brother is a pilot for Delta and I was planning to just use one of the super discounted tickets he has access to (for about $500 as opposed to the lowest fare available on Orbitz for $2,000) but if I took AA's partner, El Al Airlines to Tel Aviv and booked a 1.5EQP per mile flown fare, I'd get 11,340EQP for just that one flight alone giving me all I need for Platinum. If I could pay $2,000 and get a 1.5EQP per mile flown fare for LAX to TLV, I'd do it, but is that even possible since the lowest deep discount fares showing up on Orbitz are $2,000 right now?
Originally Posted by miamigrad
One very important thing to remember about challenges - the flights have to be on AA or AA codeshare. Any portion coded with El Al's code (LY) will NOT count toward your challenge points.
While you can't get EQP on LY, you could fly LAX-LHR legs on AA (or AA code share) and connect to LY or BA for LHR-TLV. Even at 0.5 pts/mi that will net you 5456 EQP and if you get a 1.0 pts/mi fare will get you all you need to meet the Platinum challenge.

Good luck,
Old Jun 10, 2011, 2:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by cochino_BA
britenbsas thanks for the info. I am actually doing the plat challenge for my girlfriend and I, EZE-JFK R/T.

Have you only challenged the one time? or did you re-challenge during eligible yr?

I've only ever challenged once and have maintained at least PLT status via flying the requisite number of miles ever since.

Note that you can't keep challenging to maintain your status - the idea is that it is a (one-off) shortcut to status - there have been reports that AA is tighetening up on serial challengers, rightly so IMHO.

If you're looking to complete the challenge via one EZE-JFK round trip, make sure your fare earns 1 EQP/mile. Good luck!
Old Jun 10, 2011, 9:48 am

Programs: AA, BA
Originally Posted by britenbsas
I've only ever challenged once and have maintained at least PLT status via flying the requisite number of miles ever since.

Note that you can't keep challenging to maintain your status - the idea is that it is a (one-off) shortcut to status - there have been reports that AA is tighetening up on serial challengers, rightly so IMHO.

If you're looking to complete the challenge via one EZE-JFK round trip, make sure your fare earns 1 EQP/mile. Good luck!
K and M! haha. I must have checked the EQP catalog a million times to make sure I had the right class.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:30 am

Guys, how does one find a Y, B, H, K, M, L, W, or V fare for cheap? All Y or B fares I ever see are like 5x the cost of the lowest price and the HKMLWV fares are at least double or triple. If a flight is $350, that means $2,500 for Y or B and at least $1,000 for HKMLW or V.

What gives? How do you guys do this?

I've heard about the upfairing thing where you place a reservation on hold, then call AA reservation to upfair, then book it online after it's changed. But when they upfare it, doesn't it do the same thing as if you just selected a higher fare on AA.com?
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Guys, how does one find a Y, B, H, K, M, L, W, or V fare for cheap?
Finding the fares is easiest with ExpertFlyer, which allows you to search for all published fares between a city pair. Upfaring (note the spelling) is done to increase EQP earn rate. Check out the stickies at the top of the AA forum, you'll find tons of good detail. Specifically, read through the Challenge page on the FlyerGuide wiki, paying special attention to the section titled Booking Flights for a Challenge.

when they upfare it, doesn't it do the same thing as if you just selected a higher fare on AA.com?
AA's website doesn't show all published fares between city codes. They only display a small number of them, and group them into categories like "super saver" or "economy flexible". If you want a specific fare to be booked, and you want to book it through AA, you need to make a phone call.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by Microwave
Finding the fares is easiest with ExpertFlyer, which allows you to search for all published fares between a city pair. Upfaring (note the spelling) is done to increase EQP earn rate. Check out the stickies at the top of the AA forum, you'll find tons of good detail. Specifically, read through the Challenge page on the FlyerGuide wiki, paying special attention to the section titled Booking Flights for a Challenge.

AA's website doesn't show all published fares between city codes. They only display a small number of them, and group them into categories like "super saver" or "economy flexible". If you want a specific fare to be booked, and you want to book it through AA, you need to make a phone call.
Thanks. I've seen that, but it's confusing as hell!

I checked ITA's website and it only shows me prices like Orbitz would -- doesn't show prices for specific fare codes. Am I looking in the wrong spot??
Old Jun 11, 2011, 5:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Do the easy thing, put the flight you want to take on hold, call AA and explain that you need to the cheapest economy fare that earns 1 EQP. Have the list of codes in hand knowing that Y will be the most expensive economy ticket.

Have them force the fare that is acceptable to your reservation, have them put it on hold, go back to AA.Com and pay for it.

Since Dec 2008 I have arranged 5 PLT challenges for myself and family. I tried to doing it your way and it was just too time consuming, wound up calling each time.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Thanks. I've seen that, but it's confusing as hell!

I checked ITA's website and it only shows me prices like Orbitz would -- doesn't show prices for specific fare codes. Am I looking in the wrong spot??
ITA will show you the fare bucket you're booking into when you look at the expanded details for each flight option it's showing you. Additionally, at the very end, it'll show you your fare buckets and a break down of how it priced.

You may want to stick "c:aa+ /f bc=Y|bc=..." into your advanced routing options if you only want to fly 1:1EQP fares.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 9:02 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by cochino_BA
Do you need to be a U.S. Citizen, or have a U.S. Address, to enroll in the challenge?
Nope and Nope. 100% sure. I completed a Gold challenge in 2008, then a Platinum challenge in 2010. I keep the address Venezuela based in other to get the possibles eVIPs when i hit million miller (don't have a clue if i ever will?)

Nevertheless my Platinum card never arrived. I emailed AA thrice. They sent replacement 3 times to different addresses in Venezuela and they never arrived (stolen i suppose). I wanted to have my card as a souvenir in my cards collection... but it seems .... it's not my destiny

Gold card arrived in Ven back at 08. That's all my credentials hehe. So maybe its better that you stick the address US. based after all.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 7:11 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro (2MM), HH DIA, IHG PLT
Completing PLT Challenge & also the regular way

I could not figure out search terms in this thread to find the answer.

I qualified for PLT under a challenge earlier this year which qualifies me for PLT through Feb 2012. I should hit the PLT threshold the regular way later this summer. Will my end date still be Feb 2012 or will it be extended to match my qualifying the regular way?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Maui Time
I could not figure out search terms in this thread to find the answer.

I qualified for PLT under a challenge earlier this year which qualifies me for PLT through Feb 2012. I should hit the PLT threshold the regular way later this summer. Will my end date still be Feb 2012 or will it be extended to match my qualifying the regular way?
When you requal this year you meet the criteria for next year so you're good through Feb 2013. You'll get an email several days after it happens.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 7:37 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro (2MM), HH DIA, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by mreed911
When you requal this year you meet the criteria for next year so you're good through Feb 2013. You'll get an email several days after it happens.

Thanks, it will help in figuring out which year some of my trips can fall..
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:35 pm

I just signed up for the PLAT challenge as i'm doing LAX > BOS > LAX weekly.
Just a heads up it now costs $240.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 9:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by maxxedout
I just signed up for the PLAT challenge as i'm doing LAX > BOS > LAX weekly.
Just a heads up it now costs $240.
That is consistent with what is reported on the Challenge page of the FlyerGuide wiki, and hasn't changed in some time.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by Microwave
That is consistent with what is reported on the Challenge page of the FlyerGuide wiki, and hasn't changed in some time.
This is still good information to have concerning challenges in the second half of the year. From June 16, 2009 onward it was $200 for Plat, from June 16, 2010 onward it was $240 for Plat. I had not seen it reported anywhere that it remained $240 for the second half of 2011, not changing as it did in 2010.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.