Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2010, 9:37 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
Sorry I didn't find out the main thread before I posted mine....Here are my questions and concerns:
No problem. That thread has now been merged into this one, albeit with some intermingling of posts. Feel free to request this in the future via the Alert a Moderator to this Post button.

/Moderator
Old Jul 22, 2010, 9:56 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
If I start my challenge now, would {snip}those reservations count for the challenge, as long as I can get them all done between the 1st and 16th for each month?
That's twice you've used the phrase "between the 1st and 16th for each month", which makes me think you're not quite understanding the rules of the challenge.

You can start the challenge on either the 1st or the 16th of a month
You then have three months from that date to complete the challenge requirements

If you start on the 1st of a month, you have until the last day of the third month (for example start on August 1st - you have until October 31st)

If you start on the 16th of a month, you have until the 15th of the third month (for example start on August 15th - you have until November 15th)
Old Jul 22, 2010, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by pandaperth
That's twice you've used the phrase "between the 1st and 16th for each month", which makes me think you're not quite understanding the rules of the challenge.

You can start the challenge on either the 1st or the 16th of a month
You then have three months from that date to complete the challenge requirements

If you start on the 1st of a month, you have until the last day of the third month (for example start on August 1st - you have until October 31st)

If you start on the 16th of a month, you have until the 15th of the third month (for example start on August 15th - you have until November 15th)
What a wonderful catch! That clears up a lot of confusions. Sorry I was reading too much and getting way too busy so I misinterpreted a little bit. I did think we could just fly between the 1st and the 16th to get the EQP...My bad.

But what about the question regarding the reservations I already have for the upcoming, say, Sept 2010? If I choose to start my challenge on Sept 1, would those reservations which are already made be taken into account? I did read the FlyerWiki saying I had to talk to the AA CS about it, but I just wanna make sure. Let me know.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
But what about the question regarding the reservations I already have for the upcoming, say, Sept 2010? If I choose to start my challenge on Sept 1, would those reservations which are already made be taken into account? I did read the FlyerWiki saying I had to talk to the AA CS about it, but I just wanna make sure.
Yes. I don't see why you'd need to talk to AAdvantage customer service about it, except to pick the challenge date. That may have been referring to back dating a challenge or trying to have already-posted flights count toward a challenge, which would not be your situation.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 3:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Platinum challenge - enough mileage/points?

Hi there,

I will have to fly syr-ord-nrt-hkg in November, nrt-hkg on a JAL flight in codeshare with AA. My question is: will I get enough EQM for a plat challenge? Outward will be S class back in H. Do you earn EQM on codeshare flights as well?
thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2010, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Why you would be interested in doing a PLT challenge, since you stated recently that you currently have PLT status on AA.

As for ? regarding AA challenges, including the issue of codeshares, can be found in the dedicated "challenge" thread.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 5:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

In H class one way you will earn 8722 points. The S class will easily get the 1300 required as long as the whole trip is on AA flight numbers
Old Jul 24, 2010, 5:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Why you would be interested in doing a PLT challenge, since you stated recently that you currently have PLT status on AA.

As for ? regarding AA challenges, including the issue of codeshares, can be found in the dedicated "challenge" thread.
'cause iwill not requalify for next year!
Old Jul 24, 2010, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by robertocusato
Then you aren't eligible to do a challenge

Last edited by bdemaria; Jul 24, 2010 at 6:02 am
Old Jul 24, 2010, 6:14 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9650/5.0.0.732 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by robertocusato
Originally Posted by bdemaria

You may want to read more about the important notes and exceptions listed in the wiki (http://www.flyerguide<br /> .com/wi...lenge_%28AA%29):

You are not allowed to use a challenge to maintain status - you must lose it and then challenge to regain it.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 3:55 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1K (2k), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold
Hey folks,

I plan on signing up for plt challenge- my first flights would be on 8/14 and should surpass the 10,000 EQP by the end of the trip. I'm guessing I would have to start the challenge on 8/1, am I correct?

If so, do I have to sign up prior to 8/1, or can I call just prior to the trip and ask for start date of 8/1?

Thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2010, 7:52 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by futureacnp
I plan on signing up for plt challenge- my first flights would be on 8/14...do I have to sign up prior to 8/1, or can I call just prior to the trip and ask for start date of 8/1?
While it is often possible to back-date a challenge, I see no point in waiting to do it that way. You should call now and set the challenge to begin on 8/1. Good luck.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 4:35 pm

Double Miles in Challenge?

I'm currently Gold, intend to go for the Plat Challenge. There's a current special offer on AA.com which provides "double elite qualifying miles" when flying round trip from RDU. Would this apply to my Plat Challenge? I plan to fly from RDU to HNL rt. At double qualifying, that would be about 20,000 miles, or 10,000 points in O class. ??? Thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2010, 4:40 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rsilvey
I'm currently Gold, intend to go for the Plat Challenge. There's a current special offer on AA.com which provides "double elite qualifying miles" when flying round trip from RDU. Would this apply to my Plat Challenge? I plan to fly from RDU to HNL rt. At double qualifying, that would be about 20,000 miles, or 10,000 points in O class. ??? Thanks!
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Unfortunately, the promotions will not be of any help towards your Platinum Challenge. The Challenge is based on Elite Qualifying POINTS - not elite qualifying miles.

In case you haven't seen it, the Challenge wiki entry is a great compendium of frequently asked questions and detailed info: http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...lenge_%28AA%29

Best of luck with your challenge.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by rsilvey
I'm currently Gold, intend to go for the Plat Challenge. There's a current special offer on AA.com which provides "double elite qualifying miles" when flying round trip from RDU. Would this apply to my Plat Challenge?
Sadly, no. Challenges are based on Elite Qualifying Points (EQP), not Miles (EQM).

However, the EQM's you earn, including the bonus ones, will help you qualify for Executive Platinum if you keep flying and accumulate 100K EQMs by 12/31 (so you need to fly only 50K actual miles along suitably chosen itineraries).

IOW, if you fly 10K miles to complete your PLT challenge, you'll need only 40K extra miles in rt's from RDU to become EXP. That seems a lot, but is a good opportunity if you can make it.

BTW, welcome to FT!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.