Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2009, 2:47 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
To Challenge or Not to challenge?

I am going on my 1st ever MR next weekend. I need help determining if I should do a challenge.

The question I have is this: On the Wiki AA challenge page it has a sample email stating that Trans-Atlantic Q fares do not earn challenge points. Does that apply only to the leg that is actually Trans-Atlantic, or all legs that are Q? Here is my intineray..

MSP-DFW-ORD-FRA (all legs are Q)
FRA-DFW-STL-MSP (all legs are O)

So will I get challenge points for MSP-DFW-ORD on the way there?

If not, I still would get points for the O legs (return) of the trip correct?

If I do not earn points on any of the Q legs I still may do a gold challenge because I have 2 more MR's in May that would get me to at least Gold.

One last question, with DBEQM you do earn points for all eligible miles and the bonus DBEQM correct?

Thank You
Old Apr 17, 2009, 9:39 pm
pj2

Programs: AA GLD
Your domestic segments in Q will definitely earn "challenge points", but I believe the wiki needs to be updated, as it is my understanding that TATL Q fares now earn elite qualifying points.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-unusual.html

And yes, you will also earn points for the return segments.

Last edited by pj2; Apr 17, 2009 at 9:49 pm
Old Apr 18, 2009, 12:18 am

Location: Weekdays: LAX; Weekends (when not in a metal tube): LPC
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Upon signing up for my Platinum Challenge, I received an email with the following:
Know the point values you’ll earn for the booking codes you select. Yes it may look like alphabet soup, but there’s a point to these codes. In fact, there’s anywhere from 0.5 – 1.5 points! Earn 1.5 points per mile when the purchased fare on your American Airlines ticket is booked in one of these booking codes: A F P D I J R B C Y Earn 1.0 point per mile for these AA booking codes: H K L M V W Earn .5 points per mile for these AA booking codes: G N Q S O (excludes tickets between North America and Latin America booked in O inventory, which are not eligible for mileage credit)
Emphasis added.

So, yes, you earn EQP for your flight -- but since you're looking at Q and O it will be at the rate of 1/2 EQP per mile flown.

Jim
Old Apr 18, 2009, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by jkearns
Upon signing up for my Platinum Challenge, I received an email with the following:
Know the point values you’ll earn for the booking codes you select. Yes it may look like alphabet soup, but there’s a point to these codes. In fact, there’s anywhere from 0.5 – 1.5 points! Earn 1.5 points per mile when the purchased fare on your American Airlines ticket is booked in one of these booking codes: A F P D I J R B C Y Earn 1.0 point per mile for these AA booking codes: H K L M V W Earn .5 points per mile for these AA booking codes: G N Q S O (excludes tickets between North America and Latin America booked in O inventory, which are not eligible for mileage credit)
Emphasis added.

So, yes, you earn EQP for your flight -- but since you're looking at Q and O it will be at the rate of 1/2 EQP per mile flown.

Jim
Looks like your email does not have the asterisk next to Q. On the Wiki page the sample email from late 2008 has asterisks net to Q which say "Excludes Trans-Atlantic Q fares." I guess I will just have to call and find out.

PJ2- I believe those TATL Q fares do earn points, just not for the sake of fulfilling a challenge. That's what I interpret anyway.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 8:29 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by genotonda

PJ2- I believe those TATL Q fares do earn points, just not for the sake of fulfilling a challenge. That's what I interpret anyway.
If a flight earns points (EQP), they will satisfy the challenge. There are not different types of EQP (barring EQP from OW partners that do not work for the challenge, of course).

Cheers.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 8:38 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
The last date I see (it refers to a GLD challenge) mentioned on the wiki page letter is dated May 2008. The thread pj2 linked was started in late 2008.

You are wise to be cautious, and it certainly won't hurt to call AA and double-check for yourself, but you will find that the advice you were given is correct and your TATL Q fares will earn points toward the challenge.

The reason the Q fare is asterisked in the sample challenge letter is not because TATL Q fares were excluded only from earning challenging points, it is because until recently, TATL Q fares did not earn elite qualifying points at all. NO EQP, no points towards a challenge. Now that TATL Q fares do earn EQP, there is no reason to believe those points won't count toward fulfilling a challenge.

ETA: As usual, brp answered sooner and more succinctly. <sigh>
Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:51 am

The AA (Plat) Challenge Sign Up Email

At the risk of clogging up the thread, here is the full email attachment I received when signing up for a Platinum Challenge on 09APR09
Here’s the Info You Requested on Platinum Challenges:

As discussed, we have charged your credit card $150 and put you on a Challenge for AAdvantage Platinum membership. Here are some tips to help you succeed:

* Remember that Challenges are based on points, not miles, and your goal is 10,000 points in the three-month period we discussed. Please note: As of January 1, 2009 points are calculated based on the actual miles earned, with no minimum guarantee.

* Be sure to fly AA (we know you want to anyway!) since only points earned on American Airlines, American Eagle and AmericanConnection flights (including AA codeshare flights operated by other carriers) count toward Challenges.

* Select fares with high point values. If, for example, you use Deep Discount Fares, get ready to fly 20,000 miles because those fares earn points at half the rate of miles. But if you buy Discount Fares, the rate is one point per mile and you can meet your Challenge by flying 10,000 elite-qualifying miles. And if you select premium fares, you earn 1.5 points per mile and can meet the Challenge by flying just – OK, you do the math!

* Know the point values you’ll earn for the booking codes you select. Yes it may look like alphabet soup, but there’s a point to these codes. In fact, there’s anywhere from 0.5 – 1.5 points! Earn 1.5 points per mile when the purchased fare on your American Airlines ticket is booked in one of these booking codes: A F P D I J R B C Y Earn 1.0 point per mile for these AA booking codes: H K L M V W Earn .5 points per mile for these AA booking codes: G N Q S O (excludes tickets between North America and Latin America booked in O inventory, which are not eligible for mileage credit)

* How can you determine what booking code is used for the fare you’re purchasing? Simply ask the booking agent, whether that’s your travel agent, corporate travel planner or AA Reservations representative. Or, even better, when you book your flights on AA.com, the Flight Summary screen displays the booking code in the same column as the cabin booked.

* If you have the opportunity to upgrade, good for you! But with respect to the points you will earn, traveling in a premium cabin is not the same as purchasing a premium fare. When you upgrade, the points for your flights are still calculated on the fare and booking code you purchased, not the cabin that you were lucky enough to travel in!

* For Challenges starting in the first half of the year, you will need to meet the standard criteria by yearend in order to continue your benefits past February of next year.

* Remember that the fee for your Challenge is nonrefundable – even if circumstances beyond your control (or ours!) prevent you from meeting the goal. But we’re thinking positive thoughts and we know you can do it!

A Challenge is intended for members who are in a hurry to get to the elite level they desire and begin enjoying their benefits. Think of it as a shortcut to the status you would probably earn on your own during the normal qualification period. Since members cannot earn their elite status by fulfilling a Challenge two years in a row, please be prepared to meet the normal criteria next time. That’s fair, right? Now you’re all set – Good Luck!
Old Apr 18, 2009, 2:56 pm

Judging by everyone’s feedback a PLT challenge is a no brain-er. Here are my calculations (Not taking into account any minimum mileage calculations after I hit PLT. I will just consider that gravy on top.)

MSP-DFW-ORD-FRA-DFW-STL-MSP: 12,138 EQM *.5= 6069 points (24,276 DBEQM)
MSP-ORD-FRA-ORD-MSP: 9354 EQM *.5= 4677 points (18,708 DBEQM)
End of FRA-ORD leg would put me at 10,579 points so I should fulfill challenge and get PLT 100% bonus starting with this flight. 
MSP-ORD-LAX-MIA-MCO-DFW-MSP: 6450 EQM *.5= 3225 points (12,900 DBEQM)
Grand Totals:
13,971 EQP
27,942 EQM
55,884 DBEQM @ $1404= 2.51 CPM (Not including PLT challenge fee)
Old Apr 18, 2009, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA PLAT
Judging by everyone’s feedback a PLT challenge is a no brain-er. Here are my calculations (Not taking into account any minimum mileage calculations after I hit PLT. I will just consider that gravy on top.)

MSP-DFW-ORD-FRA-DFW-STL-MSP: 12,138 EQM *.5= 6069 points (24,276 DBEQM)
MSP-ORD-FRA-ORD-MSP: 9354 EQM *.5= 4677 points (18,708 DBEQM)
End of FRA-ORD leg would put me at 10,579 points so I should fulfill challenge and get PLT 100% bonus starting with this flight. 
MSP-ORD-LAX-MIA-MCO-DFW-MSP: 6450 EQM *.5= 3225 points (12,900 DBEQM)
Grand Totals:
13,971 EQP
27,942 EQM
55,884 DBEQM @ $1404= 2.51 CPM (Not including PLT challenge fee)
I hope you don't mind me asking, but why did you sign up for the PLAT challenge when you're going to make PLAT through DBEQM?
Old Apr 18, 2009, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by paulmcgrath
I hope you don't mind me asking, but why did you sign up for the PLAT challenge when you're going to make PLAT through DBEQM?
Perhaps b/c challenge status will happen more quickly than PLT status via the DBEQM?
Old Apr 18, 2009, 4:09 pm

I'm doing something similar -- an LAX-BOS-ORD-LHR-BOS-LAX challenge then later taking a (previously booked) vacation to PUQ (Punta Arenas, Chile) that with the DBEQM will push me over 50K EQM target. Why?

Well, I will meet the challenge on the LHR-BOS leg -- so that means I'll start earning the PLAT 100% on that leg and back to LAX. Plus, I then get the 100% RDM bonus on the PUQ trip. In effect I get 21,500+ extra RDM for that incremental $150 (0.6¢ cpRDM...that's sixth tenths of a penny, not 6 cents.)*

Just as importantly, my challenge started 4/16 so crossing that 50K EQM line will get me PLAT beyond this calendar year and into Feb. 2011.

But, hey, I'm just a noob...

Jim

*And, that does not include a bunch of RDM for the BOS3X and UK50K bonuses!
Old Apr 18, 2009, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Perhaps b/c challenge status will happen more quickly than PLT status via the DBEQM?
Exactly. If I challenge I will earn 100% bonus from fra-ord and my entire 3rd trip. That's over 10,700 RDM for the $150. Not a bad deal.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 8:32 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
I will add one other thing here. The search function is not always a sure bet that you will find what you are looking for. However, if there is a choice between posting a new thread or adding to an old one, I prefer the old one. I would also like to mention that most of the information I need (and it is a lot), I usually find in a sticky or via yahoo search. Which actually usually brings up a flyertalk site.

So for newbe clarification. Take the time to read for awhile, search a lot, both with FT search and your choice of yahoo or google search. Then leave out the snipe and snark and post when you actually cannot find what you are looking for. There is just about always someone on here who is better at it, more experienced, or just remembers where the information is (probably because they posted on the thread).

I have found that most FTers are willing to help. But don't bite the hand that feeds you! Sugar and vinegar friends, sugar and vinegar.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 9:26 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jkearns
Me? I vote for well intentioned, even if repeated, relevance rather than content-less snarky sniping. At least repeated meaningful content has the minor benefit of making it easier for people who do actually look for information to find it.
This is because you are new here and, apparently, haven't taken time to do some basic background reading on standard topics. For more obscure topics, I agree that it can be hard to find things given the present state of search (although the moderators have commented elsewhere that they seem to have made recent improvements). For very standard topics, though, initial familiarization should remove the need for posting the oft-asked.

As far as volume- these few comments about the problems pale in comparison with the redundant posts that are causing the problem.

Cheers.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 9:17 pm

I apologize if these questions have been asked/answered before but the search doesn't yield helpful results and I don't really have the time to read through 200+ pages.

1. Do already booked arrangements (ie: prior to enrolling in a challenge) count towards your EQPs?

If YES...

2. I have a DFW-YVR (Y) and ANC-DFW (F) trip(s) planned after June 16th, so if I call them on June 17th and ask to enroll will the status (earned from challenge) continue until Feb 2011 or Feb 2010?

Thanks,
xCheesePope

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.