Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2008, 3:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
The rep was firmly and confidently wrong. One earns 100% bonus miles on the Platinum-qualifying sector, as you indicate.

They may have to manually update the points toward the sticker upgrade counter (which resets to zero day after tomorrow, but there's a recent thread on that.)

Originally Posted by jakuda
After completing the platinum challenge, I noticed that when my mileage posted, my qualifying segment didn't get the 100% mileage bonus, nor did it count towards the elite upgrade mileage. The first time I called the AAdvantage CS, the rep said quite firmly and confidently, that one must have platinum elite status before flying a segment in order to get the mileage bonus. I was doubtful, based on what I remembered reading here. I did some more searches on here, before calling again, and got a rep who took a few minutes before getting the elite bonus miles credited to my account. I asked her if the miles from the qualifying segment have been credited to my sticker upgrade mileage counter, to which she responded yes. I thought everything was fine, but when I logged on to my account on aa.com, the bonus mileage was posted, but the credit towards the sticker upgrade counter wasn't. I guess I'll have to call again tomorrow. So advice for others: keep calling until you get all the miles and bonuses sorted out. Usually the first AAgent will try to look into your account and help but upon hearing "platinum challenge" they just transfer you to the AAdvantage CS desk.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, SPG Gold, HH, Marriott Silver, Delta, United, TSA Prechk/GE
Point accrual after international C upgrade

I'm thinking of signing up Dr. Kboo for another platinum challenge. We have a trip to Asia booked initially in L and M classes but that have been upgraded (at least the JFK-NRT part) by eVIPs to C class. Am I correct in assuming that Dr. Kboo's EQPs will be awarded on a 1:1 basis (which is what L and M would get)?

thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 4:13 pm

You are correct. Though the occasional exception has been known to occur, usually during irregular operations, one normally earns points and miles at the rate of the purchased, not upgraded, fare.

Originally Posted by kboo
I'm thinking of signing up Dr. Kboo for another platinum challenge. We have a trip to Asia booked initially in L and M classes but that have been upgraded (at least the JFK-NRT part) by eVIPs to C class. Am I correct in assuming that Dr. Kboo's EQPs will be awarded on a 1:1 basis (which is what L and M would get)?

thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 4:14 pm

You are correct. Though the occasional exception has been known to occur, usually during irregular operations, one normally earns points and miles at the rate of the purchased, not upgraded, fare.

As to whether you will be able to sign Dr. Kboo up for another Platinum Challenge, well... as June Allyson about that (hint: Depends.)

thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, SPG Gold, HH, Marriott Silver, Delta, United, TSA Prechk/GE
Originally Posted by JDiver

As to whether you will be able to sign Dr. Kboo up for another Platinum Challenge, well... as June Allyson about that (hint: Depends.)
To be clear, Dr. Kboo has sat for a year or two as a lowly gold; he's not platinum re-challenging immediately. Dr. Kboo is, well, he likes the benefits and appreciates them (He loved being PLT for that year) but is unwilling to do any work to get them. Although he gets the concept of PLT challenge, if I didn't sign him up this time he'd be perfectly happy to let 1 transcon and a trip to Asia requal for GLD til Feb 2010.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 4:41 pm

Now, that is a challenge - how do we convince the unconvinced? But no worries, he has you to guide him and hopefully he will some day hear the clarion call of FF status. There is hope - there are several of us whose spouses have seen the light.

To be clear, Dr. Kboo has sat for a year or two as a lowly gold; he's not platinum re-challenging immediately. Dr. Kboo is, well, he likes the benefits and appreciates them (He loved being PLT for that year) but is unwilling to do any work to get them. Although he gets the concept of PLT challenge, if I didn't sign him up this time he'd be perfectly happy to let 1 transcon and a trip to Asia requal for GLD til Feb 2010.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
made it!

PLT status cleared.

I'd originally wanted a gold challenge; it only took an IRROP (that flight in O now counts for Y points, you say?) and a weekend MR to go the extra distance to PLT.

Now I'm looking forward to lounge access en route to MEX and seeing some upgrades clear...

Thanks, FT!
Old Mar 1, 2008, 12:12 pm

Felicidades! You were the beneficiary of the "sometimes things go wrong your way" rule - e.g. irrops sometimes mean a quick reassignment to a flight that winds up being assigned in full Y, earning some extra EQP.

Originally Posted by aerodark
PLT status cleared.

I'd originally wanted a gold challenge; it only took an IRROP (that flight in O now counts for Y points, you say?) and a weekend MR to go the extra distance to PLT.

Now I'm looking forward to lounge access en route to MEX and seeing some upgrades clear...

Thanks, FT!
Old Mar 2, 2008, 2:49 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JDiver
Felicidades! You were the beneficiary of the "sometimes things go wrong your way" rule - e.g. irrops sometimes mean a quick reassignment to a flight that winds up being assigned in full Y, earning some extra EQP.
Actually, I, err, kinda deliberately missed my connecting flight (made no effort to run, though I could have made it) after the first of a 3-segment journey, because I knew there was a non-stop they could put me on and I could claim original routing credit. At the time I was sick, stressed, and just wanted to Get Home Now, but in retrospect that seems a bit of a hardball move to game the system.

When I saw the EQP post at 1x and not 0.5x, I decided not to ask for the 400 miles, but that was a completely unexpected side-effect.

Wouldn't this be an easy thing for AA to fix, or do you reckon there just aren't enough times where the EQP matter for this to be a big problem?
Old Mar 2, 2008, 7:23 am

Is there any quick way to obtain Executive Platinum (Emerald), for those who haven't used American Airlines before, but wanting to ?

Thanks
Old Mar 2, 2008, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by djblamire
Is there any quick way to obtain Executive Platinum (Emerald), for those who haven't used American Airlines before, but wanting to ?

Thanks
Fly a lot (earn 100,000 elite-qualifying miles or points, or 100 elite-qualifying segments) in a very short time, or pay $25,000.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 8:21 am

I think it may have been "human factors" more than a bug - the GA or whoever merely did a quick job of entering the new information, and typed "Y" for your class - and voila! we have EQP!

Originally Posted by aerodark
<snip>

When I saw the EQP post at 1x and not 0.5x, I decided not to ask for the 400 miles, but that was a completely unexpected side-effect.

Wouldn't this be an easy thing for AA to fix, or do you reckon there just aren't enough times where the EQP matter for this to be a big problem?
Old Mar 2, 2008, 10:10 pm

Buying status through AMEX elite cards?

I have searched the threads and haven't found any discussion to address this question...

I've heard that it's possible to "buy" immediate status in AAdvantage and other airline programs...and free access to their respective airport lounges (e.g., Admirals Lounge) with elite AMEX cards such as the "black card." Is there any truth to this rumor?

TIA
Old Mar 3, 2008, 6:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, CO PLAT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Bruce G
I have searched the threads and haven't found any discussion to address this question...

I've heard that it's possible to "buy" immediate status in AAdvantage and other airline programs...and free access to their respective airport lounges (e.g., Admirals Lounge) with elite AMEX cards such as the "black card." Is there any truth to this rumor?

TIA
Well, no. American Express platinum and centurion cardholders get AA lounge access (ie Admiral's clubs)--though I think those cards have a $450 per year fee. You can buy pre-paid flight cards that will get you status immediately. I think it's $5000 for gold, $10000 for platinum, and $25000 for executive platinum.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 7:45 pm

What is the rule regarding future challenges? We will be going to CDG on an L fare in march and could therefore qualify for gold, but I am sure that we would have very little use for the status between now and Feb. If it doesn't hurt I might as well take the challenge, but if it precludes challenge for the rest of my life then perhaps I should not. Its very possible we don't fly AA again this year.

If I fly 7600 miles on an L fare and take the gold challenge all in the month of march, will I get any upgrade stickers. We have to go to BOS in June and if I had upgrades I suppose that would be nice.

If I qualified for Plat, would that get us gold to Feb, 2010. That might have more use. I'd have to buy our BOS tickets on AA and add another flight somewhere but it could be done to get plat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.