Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2008, 7:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

I guess the answer lies in how quickly you wish to make status and start earning those double elite bonus miles, vs. a bit of patience and more money doing the Challenge when it will give you one more year of status.

The cheapest Challenge would be the whole kaboodle at the cheapest rate (assuring you use the AA codeshare to Brissie.) But that Challenge, begun in May, would result in Platinum through Feb 28, 2009 and Gold through Feb 28, 2010 if you did not requalify. The Challenge done on your return (begun June 16 or after) would give Platinum status through Feb 28 2010 and Gold for one more year.

I'd check the cheapest AA codeshare fare that would result in 1 point per mile (perhaps it'll be V, L or W?) and return, say, BNE-LAX-SFO-MIA (see link) whilst calling and signing up for a Challenge beginning July 16. That would result in ~10,084 miles and ~10,253 points (506 points LAX-SFO.)

And in Brissie be sure to have a "Moreton Bay Bug" for dinner if you like seafood.

Originally Posted by jnaylor1605
Hey everyone! This is my first post but have been reading the forums for a while now. I had a question regarding challenging for platinum status.

I'm a college student going to study abroad in Australia this summer and I've been spending my free time looking at flights. I see that I can qualify for a platinum challenge if I fly AA and AA codeshare flights the whole way there and back. I would be flying from OMA-ORD-MIA to visit my girlfriend before I leave (May 20th) and then leaving for Brisbane on May 28th MIA-LAX-BNE. I'd return BNE-LAX-DFW-MIA on July 17th and then MIA-ORD-OMA July 23rd.

My main dilemma is whether or not to fly in the deep discount economy to and from Australia at ~$1850 (.5 EQM) or to fly in W the whole way for ~$2300. The flight from/to OMA is going to be on a separate itinerary and as cheap as I can pay for it (being a poor college student). Anyone want to let me know their opinion?

I'd even be willing to fly some long and winding routes to get more miles if anyone can come up with something good that will get me to BNE from MIA without staying in a hotel and keeping costs low. I just want to go visit my girlfriend for free as often as I can!!

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 13, 2008 at 9:17 am Reason: add a "be"
Old Feb 13, 2008, 7:22 am

Programs: AA L/T Gold
Just completed the Plat Challange!

Thanks for everybodys help!!!!
Old Feb 13, 2008, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
My main dilemma is whether or not to fly in the deep discount economy to and from Australia at ~$1850 (.5 EQM) or to fly in W the whole way for ~$2300.
Just to be clear challenges are based on points, not miles. It appears you have indeed read up on this subject, but I want to make sure you understand the difference between points and miles. All qualifying fares earn 1 elite qualifying mile (EQM) per mile flown. It's the elite qualifying points (EQP) that vary per mile flown, from .5 to 1.5, depending on the fare.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
I'd check the cheapest AA codeshare fare that would result in 1 point per mile (perhaps it'll V, L or W?)
Yup. V, L, or W fares earn 1 point per mile; as do H, K and M fares.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 8:56 am

Thanks for the quick feedback! If I was to wait and only use the second half of my trip to challenge, would there be any way to book the first half in a lower fare code (Q,S, etc) and then have the second part be in a fare where I get 1 point per mile (thanks for the clarification oklAAhoma)? Or maybe even use a Qantas code flight on the way down?
Old Feb 13, 2008, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by mlgagne
Just completed the Plat Challange!
Congrats.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 9:10 am

If I was to wait and only use the second half of my trip to challenge, would there be any way to book the first half in a lower fare code (Q,S, etc) and then have the second part be in a fare where I get 1 point per mile (thanks for the clarification oklAAhoma)? Or maybe even use a Qantas code flight on the way down?
That should be possible, at least theoretically.

Try using the search by Price & Schedule feature on aa.com. It makes it possible to pick the departure and return flights separately. You could go for the cheapest fare on the way out, even if it's not a codeshare, then make sure to pick a codeshare that will earn at least 1 EQP/mile for the return.

If for some reason you're unable to do it yourself on aa.com, it might be worth it to have an agent help you. IMO the benefits would outweigh the cost of the phone call.

Edited to add:
Just make sure you have clicked Advanced Search first, so that you can choose the option for AA, American Eagle, AmericanConnection® and oneworld.

Last edited by oklAAhoma; Feb 13, 2008 at 9:54 am Reason: aarrrggghhh! I think I have it right this time.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 9:14 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
That should be possible, at least theoretically.

Try using the search by Price & Schedule feature on aa.com. It allows one to pick the departure and return flights separately. You could go for the cheapest fare on the way out, even if it's not an AA codeshare, then make sure to pick the appropriate fare for the return.
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't believe that non-AA options (codeshare, at least) show up with Price & Schedule.

If your unable to do it yourself on aa.com, it might be worth the phone fee to have an agent help.
Apparently, they don't teach punctuation in Oklahoma

Cheers.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by brp
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't believe that non-AA options (codeshare, at least) show up with Price & Schedule.
You could be right. I was thinking I had recently booked a ticket to SYD that way, but maybe not.

Originally Posted by brp
Apparently, they don't teach punctuation in Oklahoma
I don't see no punctuation problem*.

*Let the record show I caught that before I read your post. Cross my heart...
Old Feb 13, 2008, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by brp
You're right. Only AA flight numbers seem to be shown using the Price and Schedule feature.

Edited to add:
I'm wrong because you're not right. One has to use Advanced Search (which I forgot to do when I experimented a little while ago) so that oneworld flights can also be viewed.

Last edited by oklAAhoma; Feb 13, 2008 at 10:00 am
Old Feb 13, 2008, 9:45 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
You're right. Only AA flight numbers seem to be shown using the Price and Schedule feature.
Is this a recent change? I've had other carriers (granted, they were OW carriers) show up in Price and Schedule feature when I used the feature to book a trip in December.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by miamigrad
Is this a recent change? I've had other carriers (granted, they were OW carriers) show up in Price and Schedule feature when I used the feature to book a trip in December.
No, no change. I was correct originally, but now my corrections are wrong. I'm back to my original statement that it can be done.

(Like you, I had used the feature recently. I just didn't double-check carefully enough today before I re-posted.)
Old Feb 13, 2008, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA L/T Gold
I know, I know, but I had to ask.....

OK, because nobody asked for me, how long before I get me Plat card (AA showed me Plat on-line this morning).
Old Feb 13, 2008, 3:07 pm

Well I looked at the Price & Schedule option on aa.com but it would only give me the "Economy Super Saver" and "Economy Flexible". This doesn't allow me to see the flights worth 1 ppm, only the .5 ($900 one way) and 1.5 ppm flights ($4500 one way). Would I have to call in order to get a price quote for the "Economy Saver" flight (if it's available at all)?
Old Feb 13, 2008, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
[QUOTE=brp;9244013]I'm not 100% sure, but I don't believe that non-AA options (codeshare, at least) show up with Price & Schedule.

Yes, codeshares do show up. I book that P&S a lot with BA and SN codeshares showing up. You do need to select Oneworld or "All airlines" options, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.