Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2008, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA1K, UC. AA- EXP, AC, Avis First, Marriott Plat Premier, HH-Diamond
I phoned today to start my Platinum challenge on Feb 1. I made Platinum in 2001 but left AA after that so I've lost all status with them. Trying to look forward as far as possible, it looks like my future travel needs will be better served by AA so I'm off to book some flights.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by InsideThePlane
Trying to look forward as far as possible, it looks like my future travel needs will be better served by AA so I'm off to book some flights.
Welcome back to AA. And best of luck on completing your challenge.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, HH GOLD, PP
Originally Posted by JDiver
It's as vasantn says - Mr. Jurisdr would be Platinum through Feb 28 2009, and then, because with American if one misses requalifying one only loses one status tier the following status year, Mr. Jurisdr would be Gold March 2009 - Feb 28 2010 even if he did not fly at all (under current guidelines.)
Thanks, JDiver.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 7:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
You DO understand the bit about not flying AA next year is pure heresy, right?

Originally Posted by jurisdr
Thanks, JDiver.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, HH GOLD, PP
Originally Posted by JDiver
You DO understand the bit about not flying AA next year is pure heresy, right?

haha. Yes, hearsay it is.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Welcome back to AA. And best of luck on completing your challenge.
Thank you oklAAhoma.

Does anyone know how long it will take AA to send me an e-mail confirming the challenge? The Advantage CS rep confirmed my e-mail addy while I was on the phone but nothing yet.

Chris
Old Jan 29, 2008, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CO PLAT, SPG Gold
Chris, you posted this 6 hours ago, so if you don't have that email by now, I would say something is wrong. You do want that email. It's got the good info (also reproduced in this forum about 100 times) and is your proof that you are enrolled in the challenge.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by InsideThePlane
Thank you oklAAhoma.

Does anyone know how long it will take AA to send me an e-mail confirming the challenge? The Advantage CS rep confirmed my e-mail addy while I was on the phone but nothing yet.

Chris
It took about 12 hours for me to get my confirmation email.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by bts09
Chris, you posted this 6 hours ago, so if you don't have that email by now, I would say something is wrong. You do want that email. It's got the good info (also reproduced in this forum about 100 times) and is your proof that you are enrolled in the challenge.
Originally Posted by flguy
It took about 12 hours for me to get my confirmation email.
Thanks! Guess I'm off to a good start...
No email as of the time of this post so I'll be back on the phone tomorrow.

Chris
Old Jan 30, 2008, 6:31 am

Flights posting as GLD/PLT

I was GLD and just completed a PLT challenge. I noticed my flights posted a bit strangely (although not too surprised). My 4405 mile flight from EZE to MIA in F completed my challenge, and I see on my account
AMERICAN AIRLINES 980 F EZE MIA 4,405 3,304 7,709
and
PLT CHALLENGE BONUS-GLD MEMBER 0 3,304 3,304

...but... my next flight after qualifying, still only posted as
AMERICAN AIRLINES 858 Y MIA PHL 1,013 253 1,266

I thought I was supposed to get full PLT bonus on all flights after the qualifying flight. Is it because the flights were on the same day, and only flights on subsequent days would be earning the bonus? I read a bit of this thread but not all 100+ pages...

Anyone know how it's supposed to post? Is it something I should call AA about?

Thanks.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 7:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
You are supposed to receive the Platinum 100% bonus miles ON and AS OF the flight you qualify on.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM, SkyTeam Gold, *A Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, mother's favorite son
Temporary extension of status...?!

Does anyone know if there's any way of having one's Platinum status temporarily extended?

I just moved to the USA from down under (and moved from QF to AAdvantage) and made Plat via the Challenge. But I was two weeks short of the June 16 cut-off date which would've given me status for an extra 12 months. Because of that, my status will be downgraded this Feb (though I'll earn it back by Oct-Nov).

Problem is, I relinquished my QF status in order to shift my frequent flier life over to AA. I'd still have status if I wasn't moving my business to AA.

Does anyone have any experience requesting an interim extension of status to cover the period I'll be downgraded? It's 8-9 months; I have the paid ticket to prove that I'll make Platinum again this year; and I was only a coupla weeks away from being entitled to an extra 12 months' status anyway when the Challenge began.

Any experience would be appreciated...!?
Old Jan 30, 2008, 6:09 pm

I called again this morning and received my Platinum challenge e-mail.

My first two flights (ORD-YOW RT) in the challenge period are work related and booked in discount (Q) fares. I've read conflicting posts that show these flights would be credited 500 mile minimum points.

However, my understanding is that for the challenge period, minimum Q points do not apply and that the credit for these flights would simply be 653x.05=326.5 miles each way.

Is that correct?

If my math is correct, I think I've got it! For the first month of my challenge, I've booked the following:

ORD-YOW Q
YOW-ORD-Q
ORD-DFW V
DFW-TPA V
TPA-ORD A
ORD-ACA D
ACA-DFW D
DFW-TPA A
TPA-ORD W

Let me add my thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread and shared their knowledge. ^

Chris
Old Jan 30, 2008, 6:32 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Zeffer
Does anyone know if there's any way of having one's Platinum status temporarily extended?

I just moved to the USA from down under (and moved from QF to AAdvantage) and made Plat via the Challenge.
I have no direct experience with this, but I would venture to say no in this case. If you had achieved PLT by flying the requisite miles/points/segments it would still be a stretch, but there might be some hope. Inasmuch as a challenge is a low-mile shortcut intended to stimulate future travel, I'd be quite certain that they won't extend status gained in this way. Never hurts to ask, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Cheers.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 8:17 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA (Gold), Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold,
When to call AA to set up the challenge

My DH and I plan to do the Plat Challenge from mid April to mid July. Do I have to have the challenge set up with AA before I start booking tickets?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.