Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2009, 8:11 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by jkearns
Am I correct in assuming that when FewMiles pages say ...
Beware. The FewMiles site is said to be quite out-dated in many ways.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 8:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Hi all,

Having a hard time finding clarification on this point. The wiki mentions that a challenge can now be upgraded mid-way? Does that mean I can register for the gold for $80, hit 5,000 points, the system should automatically give me gold for the qualifying flight, call in and upgrade the challenge to plat for $100, and then make sure I get enough points before the original gold challenge ends, then I have plat?

Planning a few weeks of heavy travel and would like to switch from DL. I'm about through with their nonsense.

Thanks!
Old Apr 1, 2009, 9:06 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by rcherskov
Having a hard time finding clarification on this point. The wiki mentions that a challenge can now be upgraded mid-way?
Gamecock asked the same question just a few posts above yours. The answer seems to be that no one is sure. The Challenge is an undocumented program, so the details are not always clear.

photodave seems to have upgraded his wife's challenge before actually starting - or at least well before reaching Gold. Gamecock is planning to try the reach Gold / upgrade to Plat in August. Hopefully we'll hear something then. If you try before then, please post your results.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 12:27 pm

I reached gold and then upgraded to platinum challenge

Unexpectedly found a great $450 rt fare chicago to Moscow which will let me hit the required miles for platinum challenge.

They are allowing me to upgrade from the gold challenge to the platinum challenge within the same timeframe for an additional $100 fee (on top of the $80 i originally paid).

Old Apr 1, 2009, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1M, SPG PLT
I'm gonna be 737 miles short on my Platinum Challenge, recommendations please?

Hi all, any help appreciated: My Platinum Challenge ends April 15th. So far I have 8811 points. I have one trip planned Apr 9-13, Miami to Grand Caymans, at half elite qualifying points due to deep discount fair. That round trip will get me 452 points, giving me a total of 9263. So, I'm looking at trying to find another flight within the next 9 days that will let meet my challenge at the cheapest possible cost. How do you recommend I go about making this happen? Requirements:
- Fly out of Miami or Fort Lauderdale, round trip.
- Can't interfere with work, must be evening or weekend event.

Should I just call AA and ask the reservations person to help me figure it out? Or do you have some routes you recommend I research.

Just lost my Gold status, this may be the only chance I have ever to get Platinum, and now I want it on principle, heh.
- Os
Old Apr 1, 2009, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Have you called AA and asked what the cost would be to change fare buckets on your upcoming trip?
Old Apr 1, 2009, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Or check out the Mileage Run forum for suggestions on finding/building a run.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any other reports of getting gold half-way through plat challenge?

Originally Posted by mbstone
Code:
02/02/09 gold challenge bonus-reg mbr 	    572   Made GLD
02/28/09  l..   Made PLT

Total EQP Credited By AA            10806

Notes:
1. Signed up for PLT challenge on 12/10/08 for period beginning 12/1/08, paid $150.
2. The actual base miles, EQP, and bonus miles credited are shown.
3. On and after 2/2/09 she was shown as GLD and credited with 25% bonus miles.
4. Short-hops flown after 2/2/09 earned RDM and EQP according to the 500-minimum guarantee (e.g. total RDM = 337+163+125).
Old Apr 1, 2009, 7:16 pm

Still confused...

Hey folks -
I've spent the last several days trying to get to the bottom of whether I should embark on the Plat challenge or not (am already Gold).

My tickets are generally booked in N or O (O is domestic only so I think I'm safe) - meaning deeply discounted.

Over the 3 month period, I expect the following trips:
LAX - SJC - LAX (3-5 times) -- booking code O
LAX - NRT - LAX -- booking code N
NRT - BKK (JAL codeshare - AA flight number) -- booking code N
HAN - NRT (JAL codeshare - AA flight number) -- booking code N

Why I can't figure this out:
- What's the final word on codeshare flights? AA flight number, operated by JAL?
- Do I get EQP for miles flown or based on a 500 mile minimum?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Apologies if these questions have been answered before - I've been trolling this thread and doing searches but haven't turned up definitive info yet.

Thanks so much!
Old Apr 1, 2009, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
sliceolime, AA codeshares count. Welcome to FT.
See the AA Wiki on Challenges:
http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Challenge_(AA)

In it, you'll see the email from AAdvantage Customer Service where codeshares are mentioned.

Regarding the minimum points: For elite (you mention that you are already gold), the new effective minimum for EQP is 250. So, for short hops, a traveler could expect 250 EQP, 500 EQP, or 750 EQP depending on fare paid. Anything > 500 miles is the same as always.

Based on what you've written, I don't see 10,000 EQP out of those itineraries (I'm a bit tired, so I could very well be mistaken)

EDITED TO ADD:
My assumption was based on the low end of sliceoflime's forecasted LAX-SJC trips. In other words, 3 round trips. In any case, it'll be close.

Last edited by miamigrad; Apr 2, 2009 at 10:19 am
Old Apr 1, 2009, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by miamigrad
Based on what you've written, I don't see 10,000 EQP out of those itineraries (I'm a bit tired, so I could very well be mistaken)
If sliceolime does LAX-SJC-LAX at least four times, he'll have a shot at it. Great Circle Mapper* puts the total (assuming 250 EQP min. per segment) at 10,052 EQPs.

*GCM is usually pretty close to AA, but may be off by a few miles, so double-check the mileage carefully when making reservations.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 11:42 pm

Location: Weekdays: LAX; Weekends (when not in a metal tube): LPC
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Slice:

I used the Webflyer.com mileage calculator (I do not know if it's the best out there) and here's what I see

The calcs are:

LAX - SJC - LAX = 500 Miles * 2 legs * 3 trips * 1/2 for N Class = 1,500 EQP
LAX - NRT - LAX = 5,440 Miles *2 * 1/2 for N Class = 5,440 EQP
NRT - BKK = 2,880 Miles * 1/2 for N Class = 1,440 EQP
HAN - NRT = 2,310 Miles * 1/2 for N Class = 1,155 EQP

That totals 9,535 EQP.

Looks like it's time to add a few quick jaunts like LAX-DFW.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 9:34 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by jkearns
LAX - SJC - LAX = 500 Miles * 2 legs * 3 trips * 1/2 for N Class = 1,500 EQP
There is no 500-mile minimum guarantee for non-elites. Therefore, unless you have status, LAX-SJC = 308 mi x 0.5 pt/mi = 154 EQP per segment.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by sliceolime
(am already Gold).

- Do I get EQP for miles flown or based on a 500 mile minimum?
Originally Posted by dstan
There is no 500-mile minimum guarantee for non-elites. Therefore, unless you have status, LAX-SJC = 308 mi x 0.5 pt/mi = 154 EQP per segment.
True. However, sliceolime is Gold, so should earn 250 EQP per segment.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 10:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
I'm looking at doing the Plat challenge on AA... I'm traveling to Taiwan in July.. I don't want the challenge to start until June 16 so I can maximize it. Can I book the ticket prior to signing up for the challenge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.