Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2008, 9:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by scraps
So armed with that suggestion, I googled the challenge and that's how I found FewMiles' info. Out of date or not, it worked for me!
There's more up to date information in the AA forum wiki:
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Challenge_(AA)
Old Jul 21, 2008, 8:26 am

Programs: AA
In a totally unrelated story, I DID end up on a lovely date with that fellow passenger.
And...?
Old Jul 21, 2008, 2:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Both good parts of the story - a nice person to date and learning about the Challenges. Flying can still be fun. ^

As to details (about the date,) gentlemen and gentlewoman will refrain from saying any more.

Someone who I met on a flight from DFW to BWI told me all about the challenges. I've been an AAdvantage member since 1995 and I'd been tracking my status like a hawk for years, and I have never heard of the challenges! I thought, with my travel schedule, I was destiamted (or doomed?) to be gold forever.
So armed with that suggestion, I googled the challenge and that's how I found FewMiles' info. Out of date or not, it worked for me!

(In a totally unrelated story, I DID end up on a lovely date with that fellow passenger. Since your breath was baited I guess I couldn't leave out the good part of the story) ^
Old Jul 21, 2008, 2:11 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JDiver

As to details (about the date,) gentlemen and gentlewoman will refrain from saying any more.
Yeah, but we don't have any of those here

Cheers.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by brp
Yeah, but we don't have any of those here Cheers.
And in any event, they discussed FF programs, MR strategies, how to avoid YQ charges, etc., and took the pledge not to call.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 3:56 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by brp
Yeah, but we don't have any of those here
Beware - this is what can happen!

Met a US F/A tonight
Post #44 - Update
Old Jul 21, 2008, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, NAT Exec Sel
It was a fun date-- If ever there was a date for frequent fliers, this was it. We each used AA miles and we met in San Diego to see the Police and Elvis Costello.
Point being, I got my PLT status and, as the e-mail says, "a range of benefits designed to make [my] travel more rewarding." LOL
Old Jul 21, 2008, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by steve32
I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask, but my understanding is that once the flight posts to your AAdvantage account, it's too late to count towards a challenge--not a judgment/lenience call.

Check your fare booking class (the letter code) against this list of the Elite Qualifying Point earning rates:

AA 2008 Elite Qualification Requirements

Some discount fares earn 1.0 EQP/mile, deep discount earns 0.5 EQP/mile, and keep an eye out for the pesky O fare for international travel (and Q fare for trans-Atlantic travel), as while the fare price is nice, you won't get any EQP.

Once you get status, then usually Elite Qualifying Miles is the method most people re-qualify with, and that's an easy 1:1 whatever the fare booking class (except that recent AADER bonus when we were earning double!--when the bonus EQM gets around to posting).

Welcome to the game!

Steve
I know this seems like a dumb question but I believed my third-grade teacher when she said there are no dumb questions.....I've looked on aa.com but want to confirm with the experts here.

All fare classes get 1:1 EQM? I.E. does O get full credit miles? I know only half of the points but are there any fare classes I should avoid for not accruing 100 percent EQM for requalification? Thanks.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 5:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
On AA, some ticket fare categories may not earn EQM mileage - prominently among them some consolidator fares, and "Tickets between North America and Europe, India, Asia and Latin America booked in O and Transatlantic tickets booked in Q are not eligible for mileage credit" (sic aa.com.)

Originally Posted by zipadee
I know this seems like a dumb question but I believed my third-grade teacher when she said there are no dumb questions.....I've looked on aa.com but want to confirm with the experts here.

All fare classes get 1:1 EQM? I.E. does O get full credit miles? I know only half of the points but are there any fare classes I should avoid for not accruing 100 percent EQM for requalification? Thanks.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
On AA, some ticket fare categories may not earn EQM mileage - prominently among them some consolidator fares, and "Tickets between North America and Europe, India, Asia and Latin America booked in O and Transatlantic tickets booked in Q are not eligible for mileage credit" (sic aa.com.)
But a domestic O class ticket would correct? Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by zipadee
But a domestic O class ticket would correct? Thanks in advance.
Yes. 1.0 EQM and 0.5 EQP.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 5:21 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
Codeshare and challenges

Looks like I'm flying YYZ-LAX-BNE and then MEL-LAX-YYZ next month. The LAX-BNE and MEL-LAX are on Qantas metal, but have AA (codeshare) numbers.

Here's the question...will those flights qualify, and if so, which challenge do I go for?

Thanks in advance, and by the way, I did some research, but am still not sure.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 5:32 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by flying chef
Looks like I'm flying YYZ-LAX-BNE and then MEL-LAX-YYZ next month. The LAX-BNE and MEL-LAX are on Qantas metal, but have AA (codeshare) numbers.

Here's the question...will those flights qualify, and if so, which challenge do I go for?

Yes, they do qualify for the challenge. If in economy with a B or Y fare, or in business class, you will complete the Platinum challenge upon arrival at BNE. If you have a discount economy fare, you will not complete until the return journey.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Looks like I'm flying YYZ-LAX-BNE and then MEL-LAX-YYZ next month. The LAX-BNE and MEL-LAX are on Qantas metal, but have AA (codeshare) numbers...will those flights qualify, and if so, which challenge do I go for?
AA will treat them as if they were AA flights. Find out your fare basis, because that would determine how many points you get.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT

All b/c a plane happens to be a codeshare doesn't mean that you'll get credit. Your ticket needs to be on the codeshare , do your flights have AA flight # or Qantas flight #s, if AA your flights will qualify.

As for whether to do the GLD or PLT challenge - it depends on the fare bucket. Some fares only yield .5 points/mile while other yield 1.0/mile or even 1.5/mile.

LAX-BNE = 7161 miles
MEL-LAX = 7921 miles

Total: 15082 miles @ 0.5/mile = 7500 points, OK for GLD challenge, won't satisfy PLT

15082 miles @ 1/mile = 15K points, will qualify you for PLT via a challenge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.