Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gemac
Most definitely mistaken. You can sign up for the Platinum challenge if you hold Gold status. You cannot sign up for a challenge to a status if you already hold that status.
Which wouldnt make much sense anyways, except you intend to do so in FEB in order to requalify on a challenge. This obviously wont work (in most cases )
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by njvandy
John, do you mean I would not be able to challenge for PLT if I am a gold?

And skywalker, I have been reading about MRs (its a phenomenon I was not aware of) and I am definitely considering it if I can find cheap fares, which is increasingly difficult these days.
You can challenge for PLT if you are GLD. Just doesnt make sense, why wait and waste 4K points until you hit Gold !? Sign up instantly !
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
skywalker, it is a question of strategic timing for me.

My next trip is booked in deep discount I believe and I have no travel planned for a while after so I definitely won't get 10k in the next 90 days unless I talk them into counting my travel from the past month (I doubt it).

If I wait until october I have a roundtrip BNA-DFW-SJC full fare (6k miles) and 4 BNA-LGA/ LGA-BNA segments (hopefully 4k miles) so I may just squeeze in.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
If I wait until october I have a roundtrip BNA-DFW-SJC full fare (6k miles) and 4 BNA-LGA/ LGA-BNA segments (hopefully 4k miles) so I may just squeeze in.
Friendly reminder: Challenges are based on points, not miles.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Friendly reminder: Challenges are based on points, not miles.
OP mentions full fare which should result in full EQP
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

skywalker, it is a question of strategic timing for me.

My next trip is booked in deep discount I believe and I have no travel planned for a while after so I definitely won't get 10k in the next 90 days unless I talk them into counting my travel from the past month (I doubt it).

Well it's July now and since you are gold soon then just wait until your flying patterns fit in the scheme. At least you start collecting stickers once you hit GLD ^
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:07 am

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Except when he mentioned for some trips:

My next trip is booked in deep discount I believe...

Last edited by 777-DCA; Jul 3, 2008 at 12:19 am
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:13 am

On a somewhat unrelated note...

Does anybody know how much pull individual agents can have in these matters? I have become very friendly with someone at the BNA Admirals Club and she usually helps me out with stuff like booking exit rows in advance (I don't have status yet) and advising which flights will be most likely to upgrade me.

It's a longshot but I am going to try and convince customer service to let me start my challenge retroactively to last month. Any chance that she could help me out with this?
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:17 am

On a somewhat unrelated note...

Does anybody know how much pull individual agents can have in these matters? I have become very friendly with someone at the BNA Admirals Club and she usually helps me out with stuff like booking exit rows in advance (I don't have status yet) and advising which flights will be most likely to upgrade me.

It's a longshot but I am going to try and convince customer service to let me start my challenge retroactively to last month. Any chance that she could help me out with this?
It never hurts to ask. I would call your friend to ask if s/he can sign you up for the challenge first, if not then customer service.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:17 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Actually, full fare results in 1.5 EQP/mile.

Fwiw, from the OP's calculations it appears this has been factored in, but it doesn't hurt to double-check.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:19 am

Good idea, thanks for the advice. Assuming I cannot use points I already earned, I may have to throw in an MR or 2 to make a PLT challenge work but it seems like it would be worth it!
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:20 am

Good idea, thanks for the advice. Assuming I cannot use points I already earned, I may have to throw in an MR or 2 to make a PLT challenge work but it seems like it would be worth it!
You already know about MRs from this board eh? You're coming along nicely my friend.

And although I am not yet a PLT, I am willing to bet my bottom dollar that getting PLT is worth 2 MRs.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:23 am

haha the idea seems so ridiculous yet the more I get obsessed with tracking my miles the more reasonable it sounds. Are MRs actually that common? Are they feasible with fares so high nowadays?
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:27 am

haha the idea seems so ridiculous yet the more I get obsessed with tracking my miles the more reasonable it sounds. Are MRs actually that common? Are they feasible with fares so high nowadays?
Yes to both questions. On my DCA-DFW-SFO-DFW-DCA run last month I met 2 other people doing MRs and I got it for $205 all-in. You just have to do some research and check out the MR thread for the tools needed to find a good run.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by 777-DCA
It never hurts to ask. I would call your friend to ask if s/he can sign you up for the challenge first, if not then customer service.
I agree it never hurts to ask but do not count on it. Someone getting you an exit row when you don't have status is one thing, someone back dating paperwork is quite another.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.