Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2009, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by daveland
The obvious question: Is there ANY WAY to get credit for the actual routing rather than the "direct" one? And if so, who would be the ones to call?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post11343103
Old Mar 2, 2009, 2:10 am

PLT Challenge timing question

Hey guys -

Quick question on the challenge rules: I am not currently signed up for a challenge, but I flew from SFO-SYD on 27 Feb, landing 1 March. I just lost my PLT status (back to GLD) as of 1 March. I want to call to start the PLT challenge on 1 March, but obviously want to make sure this flight gets included. So, my questions are:
- When my flight posts to my account, will it post as "27 Feb" or "1 March" (or some later date, like the date that the posting occurs)?
- Assuming I sign up for the PLT challenge today before these points post starting 1 March, will I receive credit for the points as part of the challenge? Or will I only get credit for the points if the flight is posted as "1 March" (or later)?

I've tried searching for this answer but unfortunately haven't been able to find it. So thanks very much for the help. I really appreciate it. This may be confusing, so let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks
sb
Old Mar 2, 2009, 2:13 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by daveland
Now, since the last leg was on Feb 28th, this means that not only will I need an extra flight to replace the one actually flown, but I lose the 4 stickers I'd have gotten for hitting 10,000 miles.
oklAAhoma answered your question, but I thought I would point you to this thread about possibly getting some stickers.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by stefanb01
Hey guys -

Quick question on the challenge rules: I am not currently signed up for a challenge, but I flew from SFO-SYD on 27 Feb, landing 1 March. I just lost my PLT status (back to GLD) as of 1 March. I want to call to start the PLT challenge on 1 March, but obviously want to make sure this flight gets included. So, my questions are:
- When my flight posts to my account, will it post as "27 Feb" or "1 March" (or some later date, like the date that the posting occurs)?
- Assuming I sign up for the PLT challenge today before these points post starting 1 March, will I receive credit for the points as part of the challenge? Or will I only get credit for the points if the flight is posted as "1 March" (or later)?

I've tried searching for this answer but unfortunately haven't been able to find it. So thanks very much for the help. I really appreciate it. This may be confusing, so let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks
sb
Your flight miles/points will post as of the date of the flight (27 Feb), regardless of when they actually appear in your account. In order for points to "count" for a challenge, you must sign-up before the flight posts to your account. So, for a 27 Feb flight to count toward your challenge, you would need to call ASAP (if it's not too late) & ask to start retroactively as of 2/16.

Unfortunately, if you were Plat due to a challenge in late 2007 or sometime in 2008 and have now soft-landed to gold, you are not eligible to re-challenge. You will have to wait until March '10 when you lose Gold in order to complete another challenge. (Unless this changed with the new rules & fees, but I have not seen any posts to that affect.)
Old Mar 2, 2009, 9:14 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by scoow
oklAAhoma answered your question, but I thought I would point you to this thread about possibly getting some stickers.
Thanks, but I don't believe I can get the stickers since without that leg counting, I wasn't Gold as of Feb 28th .... and I think I need to be Gold to collect the stickers. I was *really* hoping there was some way to get an exception on the routing credit but I don't see anything in the thread OklAAhoma linked to that effect. SOL it seems...
Old Mar 3, 2009, 7:58 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Plt, Hyatt Plt
Your flight miles/points will post as of the date of the flight (27 Feb), regardless of when they actually appear in your account. In order for points to "count" for a challenge, you must sign-up before the flight posts to your account. So, for a 27 Feb flight to count toward your challenge, you would need to call ASAP (if it's not too late) & ask to start retroactively as of 2/16.

Unfortunately, if you were Plat due to a challenge in late 2007 or sometime in 2008 and have now soft-landed to gold, you are not eligible to re-challenge. You will have to wait until March '10 when you lose Gold in order to complete another challenge. (Unless this changed with the new rules & fees, but I have not seen any posts to that affect.)
But if the OP was PLT as of 2/16 can you still start a challenge? I thought you have to go to Gold first, so the earliest date a challenge could start would be 3/1.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by BogeyMan
But if the OP was PLT as of 2/16 can you still start a challenge? I thought you have to go to Gold first, so the earliest date a challenge could start would be 3/1.
You are correct.

Guess I got distracted by "how to make sure this flight is included...." Since it was flown while a plat., it will not count toward a challenge.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Plt, Hyatt Plt
You are correct.

Guess I got distracted by "how to make sure this flight is included...." Since it was flown while a plat., it will not count toward a challenge.
scoow Thanks for the clarification. I was just curious because I am in a similar position. I am Gold as of 3/1 as I didn't travel much last year. I did a MR to FRA in Feb so I was just making sure I didn't miss an opportunity to challenge earlier.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 2:01 am

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Summary of DonnaFrmVA's Plat Challenge

Code:
Date      Cl From/To  Base Mi  Mult  EQP   Bonus Remarks
12/15/08  v  lax dfw  1235      1.0  1235
12/15/08  v  dfw hsv   603      1.0   603
12/18/08  v  hsv dfw   603      1.0   603
12/18/08  v  dfw lax  1235      1.0  1235
01/25/09  q  lax iad  2288      0.5  1144
02/02/09  q  iad lax  2288      0.5  1144
02/02/09 gold challenge bonus-reg mbr 	    572   Made GLD
02/26/09  y  lax sfo   337      1.5   750  288
02/26/09  y  sfo sea   678      1.5  1017	  170
02/27/09  f  sea san  1050      1.5  1575  788
02/27/09  l  san lax   109      1.0   500  516
02/27/09  l  lax sfo   337      1.0   500  288
02/28/09  l  sfo lax   337      1.0   500  288   Made PLT

Total EQP Credited By AA            10806

Notes:
1. Signed up for PLT challenge on 12/10/08 for period beginning 12/1/08, paid $150.
2. The actual base miles, EQP, and bonus miles credited are shown.
3. On and after 2/2/09 she was shown as GLD and credited with 25% bonus miles.
4. Short-hops flown after 2/2/09 earned RDM and EQP according to the 500-minimum guarantee (e.g. total RDM = 337+163+125).

Last edited by mbstone; Mar 5, 2009 at 10:12 pm
Old Mar 4, 2009, 9:31 pm

I'm going from a United PremEx to American this year due to American's new business class and I currently have 50k of bis trips booked in the next few months.

Is there still a PLT challenge? It would make sense for me to jump on just for the extra point and upgrades!
Old Mar 4, 2009, 10:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Krisflyer, Velocity
Gold then Platinum expiry?

Hi, I'm taking my mum on her first overseas trip. I will be starting a LONE4 ex-AKL, flying back to MEL in May and travelling with her MEL-SFO.

I really want to do the platinum challenge however if I sign up in May, I will lose platinum status in Feb 2010 when I will still be flying on my LONE4.

Would it be possible to sign up to gold, pay the $80, fly in May and achieve Gold status, then sign up for platinum for another $70 from June 16th and once achieving PLAT, keeping it until Feb 2011?
Old Mar 4, 2009, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by V60t
I'm going from a United PremEx to American this year due to American's new business class and I currently have 50k of bis trips booked in the next few months.

Is there still a PLT challenge? It would make sense for me to jump on just for the extra point and upgrades!
The PLT challenge is still available. Read the wiki carefully - especially note the new fee & the difference in points and miles. Points are what count for the challenge.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by zan5hin
Hi, I'm taking my mum on her first overseas trip. I will be starting a LONE4 ex-AKL, flying back to MEL in May and travelling with her MEL-SFO.

I really want to do the platinum challenge however if I sign up in May, I will lose platinum status in Feb 2010 when I will still be flying on my LONE4.

Would it be possible to sign up to gold, pay the $80, fly in May and achieve Gold status, then sign up for platinum for another $70 from June 16th and once achieving PLAT, keeping it until Feb 2011?
No.

The two challenges are separate, not a building experience on each other, EQP earning-wise. It's $100 to Platinum Challenge when you are already Gold.

(You might hear of past exceptions called "Double Challenges", but they ran at the same time, and should no longer be possible since you have to pay a fee, so one can't accidentally slip between the cracks.)

Each challenge would be separate, without the Gold Challenge helping boost the first half of the Platinum Challenge.

You appear to be trying to game the system just to game it. You should be seeking to make Platinum before your long international trip, so you get to utilize the Platinum/Sapphire benefit of using any oneworld business class lounge during your international travel.

Steve
Old Mar 5, 2009, 5:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Krisflyer, Velocity
Originally Posted by steve32
You appear to be trying to game the system just to game it.
I take offense at that. I'm not trying to "game the system", as I explained I have legitimate need for PLT status into 2011 because I will be doing a 1 year+ long RTW trip which happens to start in May, so losing PLT status halfway would be really bad.

So if I sign up and complete the challenge in May (expiry Feb 2010), do I then need to attain 50,000 EQP by the end of the 2009 to maintain PLT status until Feb 2011?

Last edited by zan5hin; Mar 5, 2009 at 5:47 pm
Old Mar 5, 2009, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zan5hin
So if I sign up and complete the challenge in May (expiry Feb 2010), do I then need to attain 50,000 EQP by the end of the 2009 to maintain PLT status until Feb 2011?
Yep I believe so

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.