Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Hello,

how does the 500 mile guarantee work with points? If I was in Q class (.5 points per mile) would I get half of 500 or half of the actual flight mileage?

Thanks Everyone
Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by callenrandolph
how does the 500 mile guarantee work with points? If I was in Q class (.5 points per mile) would I get half of 500 or half of the actual flight mileage?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/10338675-post1.html
Old Jun 3, 2010, 3:35 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by callenrandolph
Hello,

Thanks Everyone
You'll get 250 EQP. (500 EQP for 1.0 pt/mi fares; 750 EQP for 1.5 pt/mi fares)

Edit: This post could also go in the Help Desk on Miles & Points Math - check there for some good resources.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by dstan
You'll get 250 EQP. (500 EQP for 1.0 pt/mi fares; 750 EQP for 1.5 pt/mi fares)

Edit: This post could also go in the Help Desk on Miles & Points Math - check there for some good resources.
Thanks!
Old Jun 3, 2010, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Source?
From the CSR whom I signed up for the challenge. I asked her to reference my already booked reservation. She asked which date I wanted to start. Before I answered, she went on to say that something to the effect that "there are 4 slots per start date for PLT". I should've asked her to clarify, but I didn't. I was in a hurry and just wanted to get the challenge application in. Perhaps others can further assist in this.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel
From the CSR whom I signed up for the challenge. I asked her to reference my already booked reservation. She asked which date I wanted to start. Before I answered, she went on to say that something to the effect that "there are 4 slots per start date for PLT". I should've asked her to clarify, but I didn't. I was in a hurry and just wanted to get the challenge application in. Perhaps others can further assist in this.
I'm not doubting she told you that, but I am skeptical that what she said is true. Why would AA limit its income to $800 per sign-up date? That makes absolutely no sense to me.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 8:56 am

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT
Is it worth it for me?

Hi all. Have been reading this for a few weeks, but ust finally joined to ask a question.

I am currently Gold, which I received by actually flying 25,000 miles (who does that anymore?)

I just came across this thread and had a question. I have roughly 43,000 miles right now. In July, my travel picks up again, with weekly roud trips from PHL-DFW (about 2600 round trip miles withour bonuses).

Im guessing its not worth it for me to participate in the platinum challenge, since I will get it after 2 or 3 trips from Philly to Dallas, correct?

I'll be getting a 25,000 mile credit from a credit card soon, but what else can I do to get myself to EXP sooner rather than later?
Old Jun 4, 2010, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by stoudty
Hi all. Have been reading this for a few weeks, but ust finally joined to ask a question.

I am currently Gold, which I received by actually flying 25,000 miles (who does that anymore?)

I just came across this thread and had a question. I have roughly 43,000 miles right now. In July, my travel picks up again, with weekly roud trips from PHL-DFW (about 2600 round trip miles withour bonuses).

Im guessing its not worth it for me to participate in the platinum challenge, since I will get it after 2 or 3 trips from Philly to Dallas, correct?

I'll be getting a 25,000 mile credit from a credit card soon, but what else can I do to get myself to EXP sooner rather than later?
Hi, Welcome to FT.

People do fly 25,000 miles I'm at roughly the same spot, 43,000 miles. I don't think a challenge is worth it for you being so close already. Save your money and buy tickets instead. Do a MR if you have to, over paying the challenge fee, in my opinion.

You can MR a lot if you want to get to EXP sooner.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 9:52 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
...I have roughly 43,000 miles right now...Im guessing its not worth it for me to participate in the platinum challenge, since I will get it after 2 or 3 trips from Philly to Dallas, correct?...I'll be getting a 25,000 mile credit from a credit card soon, but what else can I do to get myself to EXP sooner rather than later?
(1) While challenges make sense for most situations, that may not be the case in yours. Assuming that you have 43K EQM miles (look at your account summary to be sure), you'd only need 7K miles to earn PLT the regular way. A challenge would typically require 10K miles, and incur a fee on top. So, skip the challenge and just keep flying.

(2) As pointed out by dstan below, the credit card miles you are expecting will be RDM miles: you can redeem them for award tickets but they don't count towards elite status. Elite Qualifying or EQM miles are earned only by flying.

Last edited by aktchi; Jun 4, 2010 at 1:09 pm
Old Jun 4, 2010, 12:36 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Ditto the responses above, and realize that the 25K RDM (redeemable miles) you receive from the credit card will NOT count toward status (EQM/EQP) - only way to get annual status on AA is to fly. ^
Old Jun 4, 2010, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT
I was unaware that the RM do not count toward the elite status. Thanks for clearing it up. Guess its back to the MD-80 for me
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:53 pm

I was unaware that the RM do not count toward the elite status. Thanks for clearing it up. Guess its back to the MD-80 for me
Well, then your decision to do a challenge now depends on whether you actually have 43,000 EQM, not just 43,000 RDM. You may want to do a challenge if you have significantly less EQM, although the challenge won't accelerate your ascent to EXP.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 11:22 pm

Apologies for asking a simple question here. I need to book my ticket in the next few hours.

I am scheduled to fly TATL LHR-JFK in business on 16 June. I have a choice between BA and AA. I prefer BA for the lie flat seats but I am a bit concerned about their strike too.

If I fly AA, and sign up for the Gold challenge with a start date of 16 June, would my Gold status last through Feb 2011 or Feb 2012?

I could easily attain Gold the hard way this year but I am thinking about crediting the rest of my flights to BA or another OW carrier (but because of the membership year and the way the program works, I don't think I would reach Gold equivalent with BA).

Thank you.

EDIT
Nevermind, I read in this thread that starting the challenge on 16 June would give me Gold through Feb 2012

Last edited by mileagerunner; Jun 7, 2010 at 11:39 pm
Old Jun 8, 2010, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by mileagerunner
EDIT
Nevermind, I read in this thread that starting the challenge on 16 June would give me Gold through Feb 2012
Correct.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 9:40 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by mileagerunner
I am scheduled to fly TATL LHR-JFK in business on 16 June. I have a choice between BA and AA. I prefer BA for the lie flat seats but I am a bit concerned about their strike too...If I fly AA, and sign up for the Gold challenge with a start date of 16 June, would my Gold status last through Feb 2011 or Feb 2012?
STOP! Assuming that this is round trip, LHR-JFK-LHR is 6900 miles. In Business Class this will earn you 10,350 points, which is enough to complete the Platinum challenge: you will be Platinum through Feb 2012 and, even if you do nothing, at least Gold through Feb 2013. (If you have already signed up, you can call AA and change.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.