Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2010, 6:33 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Jeffers8
Understood, a slightly unrelated question brp but do EXP's tend to get many Op-upgrades when flying intl or does AA apply the get what you pay for view?
Hard to say. We always use SWUs to upgrade, so have few op-up opportunities. We did get moved from our upgraded business seats to first on MAD-MIA, but that's because the seats were inoperative.

I did get 3 op-ups from Y-> (LHR-US, LHR-US, CDG-US) when I was PLT, though

Cheers.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I also as a PLT for 5 years now have received two OP ups, they were both EZE to DFW.

This year i am about 50% for using 500 mile upgrades. I am guessing its due to the double mileage last year and the amount of EXP's out there this year.

I fly enough each year to end up at around 60k miles. The international lounge perk is nice if your going that way. Most of my travel is in South America, and LHR.

I did make EXP one year and it was a totally different experience.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 7:50 pm

Depends how you fly. If you fly with family and lots of bags it is a no-brainier. Checked bag fees for your average overpacked family of 4 roundtrip domestically are $480!

Lounge access is largely overrated, especially within the USA. Biggest feature is help from the agents when things go wrong. Otherwise not so impressed with a cash bar, carrots, and pay-wifi. For a $10 fee most airport bars are happy to provide you with a comfortable place to sit and a drink.

Lounges abroad, especially of partner airlines, can be quite nice. I can easily eat/drink in a BA lounge in LHR what could cost me well over $50 in the terminal. The showers are priceless.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
So I just signed up to a Plat Challenge starting next week. Didn't realise it went up to $240 in May.

I'm starting to think with these charges it's getting to the point of not being worth it just to get Plat.

Seriously guys am I likely to get $240 worth of value for 18 months of Elite Status? What's the view on this and the updated charges.
To be frank - if you're not requalifying and only using the challenges as a means of temporarily avoiding fees, you're exactly the reason why AA instituted these fees in the first place.

Given how much you fly - I don't think it's worth it, but YMMV.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 8:36 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage; Carlson Goldpoints.
I do virtually all domestic travel; became elite via a Plat challenge earlier this year for the first time in my life.

Since gaining Plat, I've requested 15 upgrades, and I've been given 15 upgrades. Yes, I do pay for the stickers (well, so far, I've received four free stickers). But, I enjoy sitting in the front of the bus. All the more so when things go wrong:

We board. Door closed. Push back. THEN, we're told of a ground stoppage at our destination, and we won't be going anywhere for awhile. Did the airline know this before we boarded the plane? Of course. But, by boarding, closing the door and pushing back, AA gets the credit for the flight leaving on time. And, the cockpit crew gets paid better than if the door were still open. (Or so I'm told by one pilot I know.)

In this situation, we won't sit for three or more hours imprisoned in the plane; AA knows better than that. But, we may sit for 45 to 60 minutes before going anywhere. In the meantime, I'm in a much more comfortable seat up front (I'm a person of some size), and the FA's *immeadiately* start passing out drinks and whatever kibble they have on board to us.

So, when this situation happened, yes, I did pay $30 for the sticker for what was planned to be a short, one-hour flight, but it was very well worth it to me to have the comfortable seat, power outlet access for the laptop, etc. etc.

Add to that things like shorter Priority Access lines, Priortiy Access luggage service (works well in most places), no checked baggage fee when I have to check a bag, .....well, it's worth it to me.

YMMV.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I fly domestic and did a plat challenge in Jan this year. I've received 3/4 requested upgrades and 2 upgrades I did not request.

The only upgrade I didn't get I was sitting next to an EXP who also didn't get it. He said 1st was full of his co-workers. They were all road warriors and the company just finished their annual meetings in Vegas. They all had connecting flights in DFW.

To me, PLT challenge is easily worth more than $240. 100% RDM bonus, earning stickers, higher on the upgrade list, baggage fees, etc. My traveling is almost complete and I won't requalify with what is left. But I got WAY more than the $200 I spent.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 9:01 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Seriously guys am I likely to get $240 worth of value for 18 months of Elite Status? What's the view on this and the updated charges.
Pardon me, but wouldn't these questions have been better asked before you coughed up the $240?
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Pardon me, but wouldn't these questions have been better asked before you coughed up the $240?
Yes!

I didn't really think about it until I'd hung up the phone, at which point I was wondering if I'd been stung as I thought the $200 was pushing it.

But to be fair someone made the point that if I get an extra 20,000 RDM via the elite bonus then I get a domestic award I guess it probably is worth the $240.

That's a fair point.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
One way to look at it is: you made a $240 investment in more comfortable and rewarding travel for the next ~20 months, and how much it pays off in return is up to you. Many have contributed (and organized) information here so you can study and maximize your investment...

Yes!

I didn't really think about it until I'd hung up the phone, at which point I was wondering if I'd been stung as I thought the $200 was pushing it.

But to be fair someone made the point that if I get an extra 20,000 RDM via the elite bonus then I get a domestic award I guess it probably is worth the $240.

That's a fair point.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
To be frank - if you're not requalifying and only using the challenges as a means of temporarily avoiding fees, you're exactly the reason why AA instituted these fees in the first place.

Given how much you fly - I don't think it's worth it, but YMMV.
Yes but this works for AA as well as to be honest I might flown UA instead because they have been generally cheaper this year than AA fares. So don't see the point in them overpricing the challenges.

It might cost them a little extra in elite status benefits but they lock in all my flights for 18 months.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:55 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Yes but this works for AA as well as to be honest I might flown UA instead because they have been generally cheaper this year than AA fares. So don't see the point in them overpricing the challenges.

It might cost them a little extra in elite status benefits but they lock in all my flights for 18 months.
The point of the Challenges, at least as we have always understood them here, is to give accelerated status to people who are going to be flying enough to qualify by normal means anyways. The point is not to get people to pay for status for X amount of time - other airlines (e.g., US) have taken that approach, but not AA. Perhaps the fact that more and more people view it as the latter is why AA had to institute fees in the first place. @:-)
Old Jun 11, 2010, 3:16 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
I called 001-817-799-2500 Customer Service about 5 hours ago to enroll on a Platinum challenge starting after June 16th, everything went smooth. Agent made sure about gaining stat through Feb 2012 and asked for a CC number. Still, i haven't received my confirmation mail? ... Is this normal? While on the line, i confirmed her my e-mail address. I handed a foreign credit card. I guess i'll give it a day... if i don't receive anything i'll call again.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by mvtm
I called 001-817-799-2500 Customer Service about 5 hours ago to enroll on a Platinum challenge starting after June 16th, everything went smooth. Agent made sure about gaining stat through Feb 2012 and asked for a CC number. Still, i haven't received my confirmation mail? ... Is this normal? While on the line, i confirmed her my e-mail address. I handed a foreign credit card. I guess i'll give it a day... if i don't receive anything i'll call again.
i also enrolled earlier today and haven't received anything. i'm guessing it should be fine.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 4:01 pm

It takes 24-36 hours to arrive. If you haven't seen anything after 2 days then suggest you call AA then.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:25 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Done, already received it. Should i call AA to see if i can be granted Gold while in the process?. I'm traveling with my family and would like to make our experience the most comfortable as possible. If not, it's ok and understandable. Not a big deal, it's almost the same. I think my former gold card still does the trick for AP check-in.

Again, thanks FT.
Anyhow, as a currently non elite member my chances to clear upgrade from LAS-MIA using stickers are not good right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.