Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2011, 3:01 am

just a quick Q: does AA ever ever ever ever offer an EXP challenge?
Old Apr 15, 2011, 6:19 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Yes...
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemil...with-american/
Old Apr 15, 2011, 9:15 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Hi there Cathay Boy. You actually started a thread on this very question a few weeks ago here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...challenge.html

You may have missed the responses in that therad, but information on the EXP challenge can also be found by searching this forum : http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...tinum-exp.html
Old Apr 15, 2011, 9:32 am

Programs: CX GO, HH Gold, IHG Plat
CX831/840 for AA PLT challenge?

Hi all, fourth-time poster and still very much a newbie, so I apologize if my question has been addressed before.

I'm currently CX SL and flirting with the idea of doing a AA PLT challenge because I'll likely be flying BOS-YYZ (late May/early June) and BOS-DFW-FAI (early July). However, I'm also making a JFK-HKG trip in early May (already booked)), and I was wondering whether the trans-pacific legs could count towards my challenge even though I booked them under CX codes and not their AA codeshares? Everything will be V fares, btw. Thanks!
Old Apr 15, 2011, 9:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by goirulz
I was wondering whether the trans-pacific legs could count towards my challenge even though I booked them under CX codes and not their AA codeshares?
Have a look at the Challenge page on the FlyerGuide wiki--it's long, but you'll want to know all of the information in there before starting. Short answer: you must book an AA flight number for the EQPs you earn to count toward a challenge.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by goirulz
Hi all, fourth-time poster and still very much a newbie, so I apologize if my question has been addressed before.

I'm currently CX SL and flirting with the idea of doing a AA PLT challenge because I'll likely be flying BOS-YYZ (late May/early June) and BOS-DFW-FAI (early July). However, I'm also making a JFK-HKG trip in early May (already booked)), and I was wondering whether the trans-pacific legs could count towards my challenge even though I booked them under CX codes and not their AA codeshares? Everything will be V fares, btw. Thanks!
No, only AA flight numbers count for the challenge
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:24 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
In short: for a long time they never did, then recently they did to lure away some competitors' top elites, and now once again they don't.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by miamigrad
No, only AA flight numbers count for the challenge
So a flight where AA doesn't codeshare on won't be eligible?

I'm wondering because I thought about signing up for one for my upcoming Europe trip, but it sounds like I'll have some trouble, since all of it (save LAX-LHR) is on BA metal with BA flight #s (AA doesn't codeshare on any of BA's DME/LED flights). With just that segment I'd only get 8,174 EQP and I won't be flying between now and then.

This leads to another question: Would it even be worthwhile to have PLT via challenge for me? I was thinking about it for the following reasons:

-I'm at 930k lifetime and really want to push for MM ASAP (so I'd want the PLT 100% bonus and the status RDM bonus on BA flight #s).

-I have one Y segment on the back end of my Europe trip, LHR-CDG, and even though I'm connecting from LED-LHR in J I want to be assured of lounge access.

However the drawbacks for me are:

-I hear the fee has now gone up to $180; that's a lot.

-This trip is in May and I'd only have the status through this year, not next.

Anything I'm not considering, and is this likely a complete waste of almost $200 (more if I had to add another AA metal flight in the next month to make sure I qualified)?
Old Apr 15, 2011, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by JumboD
I'm at 930k lifetime and really want to push for MM ASAP (so I'd want the PLT 100% bonus and the status RDM bonus on BA flight #s).
Platinum is good for many reasons. However, for LT Gold, you should forget about flying and start applying for credit cards: Citi/AA as well as *wood Amex.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 9:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by JumboD
-I hear the fee has now gone up to $180; that's a lot.
The fee is currently $200 for the plat challenge, and will probably go up on June 16th.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by JY1024
Hi there Cathay Boy. You actually started a thread on this very question a few weeks ago here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...challenge.html

You may have missed the responses in that therad, but information on the EXP challenge can also be found by searching this forum : http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...tinum-exp.html
Thanks JY1024, and yes I missed the thread's helpful answers. Thanks for reminding me.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 7:29 am

Gold Challenge Question

Hi.

Sorry for the newbness.

A cousin of mine who is Platinum has told me to try and challenge for Gold because I have a few trips happening in the span of 3 months.

Ive been searching on aa.com to find out how this works and what steps I have to take to challenge the gold status.

He says the challenge work on a span of 3 months and its done with points instead of miles.

I have no idea where and how to do this.

Can anyone help me out please?
Where can I find this info?

Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2011, 7:36 am

Programs: WN A-list Preferred and CP, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, RIP Kimpton
Check the FAQ sticky at the top of this forum. It explains everything you need to know about a challenge! Best of luck!
Old Apr 18, 2011, 7:48 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
ask your cousin alfie "whats it all about"....might be the easiest way to go...

good luck...
Old Apr 18, 2011, 8:20 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro (2MM), HH DIA, IHG PLT
Platinum Challenge, Gold Status requested

This is my first post...don't kill me for asking. I couldn't find the answer searching. I am on a Platinum Challenge and just requested and received Gold Status. Is there a way to see this in my AAdvantage account? Other than them telling me I am now Gold, how do I confirm it. I just booked a flight and did not see any reference to it.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.