Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:24 am

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Plat
Originally Posted by mvoight
So, it sounds like if you only want Gold, simply paying the PLT challenge signup fee is enough to get it.
Then, everyone on your PNR can have free bags, elite seating, etc.... all for the price of a PLT signup fee.
Interesting loophole that would seem to not make financial sense for AA.
I called in a few weeks ago -- have enough travel booked to make the PLT challenge easily -- and the AAgent wouldn't budge on giving me GLD -- not at the beginning, nor part way through. Don't bank on it. I suppose I could have hung up and called back until I found an AAgent willing to accommodate but I didn't care that much. I kept the $200 and I'll just have GLD soon enough.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by pakalolo
I called in a few weeks ago -- have enough travel booked to make the PLT challenge easily -- and the AAgent wouldn't budge on giving me GLD -- not at the beginning, nor part way through. Don't bank on it.
Since the entire challenge is unpublished, I wouldn't bank on any of it. FWIW, Mrs. Microwave recently took her business from a competing airline (where she was a middle-tier frequent flyer) to AA so she could start earning stickers instead of me buying and spending them on her behalf all the time. When we asked whether ACS could comp Gold during her Platinum challenge, it was no problem at all. She did offer to send a copy of her card and mileage statement from the other airline; the AAgent didn't take her up on the offer, but having made it probably didn't hurt. Getting Gold was very useful, as she earned 8 stickers during her challenge, was able to get through security and board early, and earned an extra 5,000ish miles in the process. YMMV for sure in this case.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:58 am

I'm right in the middle of ditching AC and their ridiculous fuel surcharges, and since I was giving all my non-AC business to AA, I thought ''Hey, let's go AA'' lol

I've stumbled on this challenge thing this weekend and I've been reading everything trying to find what the catch is...and failing to find it?

Why would anyone huff and puff it trying to collect 25k or 50k points/miles for status when you can get it for 5K or 10K?

Once you've shortcut your way to status, then you still get the 25% or 100% elite bonus mileage, right? So even if you can only do the challenge once, then the next year you only have to fly 12.5k/25k to get gold/platinum?
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by kaylla334
I'm right in the middle of ditching AC and their ridiculous fuel surcharges, and since I was giving all my non-AC business to AA, I thought ''Hey, let's go AA'' lol

I've stumbled on this challenge thing this weekend and I've been reading everything trying to find what the catch is...and failing to find it?

Why would anyone huff and puff it trying to collect 25k or 50k points/miles for status when you can get it for 5K or 10K?

Once you've shortcut your way to status, then you still get the 25% or 100% elite bonus mileage, right? So even if you can only do the challenge once, then the next year you only have to fly 12.5k/25k to get gold/platinum?
The challenge is a shortcut to getting the status. Once there, you need to maintain it by flying the requisite number of miles - you can't keep on challenging.

Although you will get the 25%/100% elite status bonus miles the same as if you'd earned your status the regular way, like all bonus miles they are redeemable but are not elite qualifying miles (EQMs). You will still need to fly 25000 or 50000 miles in a qualifying year to maintain your Gold or Platinum status
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:26 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by kaylla334

You would have to re-qualify in the normal way after receiving status due to challenge.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 4:32 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster here!

Called about the challenge, the agent explained it all to me (listened quietly), mentioned I was a 1k on UA (only really a Premier) and she said she would kick me up to Gold right now while doing the Platinum challenge, and the fee was $180....

Good luck - YMMV! ^
Old Apr 4, 2011, 4:41 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dnotarangelo
Long time lurker, first time poster here!

Called about the challenge, the agent explained it all to me (listened quietly), mentioned I was a 1k on UA (only really a Premier) and she said she would kick me up to Gold right now while doing the Platinum challenge, and the fee was $180....

Good luck - YMMV! ^
Welcome to the posting side of FlyerTalk and the AA forum, dnotarangelo!

Thanks for sharing your data point with the community. ^ Good luck with your PLT challenge, and happy travels!
Old Apr 5, 2011, 2:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by dnotarangelo
mentioned I was a 1k on UA (only really a Premier) and she said she would kick me up to Gold right now while doing the Platinum challenge, and the fee was $180....
"Mentioned"? I think you mean "lied"
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA Plt
Very Quick Platinum Challenge Question

Hello all,

I'm relatively new to FT and have a trip booked in late June that I would like to use to meet a platinum challenge. I've read through the FAQ, and just wanted to verify that this trip alone will allow me to meet the 10,000 EQP requirement; I am currently Gold with AA. I am planning to start the challenge on June 16 in order to earn status for all of 2012 plus 2 months of 2013. First off, I want to make sure that a ticket that I have already booked can be used for a challenge (i.e. signing up for a challenge after booking the ticket). These are the flights for late June / early July:

CMI - ORD (V) 625 EQP
ORD - HNL (V) 4243*1.25 EQP
HNL - LIH (V) 625 EQP (Hawaiian codeshare, booked as AA7902)
LIH - LAX (V) 2615*1.25 EQP
LAX - DFW (V) 1235*1.25 EQP
DFW - CMI (V) 693*1.25 EQP

TOTAL EQP: 12232

A verification of from someone who is much more familiar would be greatly appreciated, as I'm still learning the ropes and don't want to miss something obvious - thanks!
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:47 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by adamplane
Hello all,

I'm relatively new to FT and have a trip booked in late June that I would like to use to meet a platinum challenge. I've read through the FAQ, and just wanted to verify that this trip alone will allow me to meet the 10,000 EQP requirement; I am currently Gold with AA. I am planning to start the challenge on June 16 in order to earn status for all of 2012 plus 2 months of 2013. First off, I want to make sure that a ticket that I have already booked can be used for a challenge (i.e. signing up for a challenge after booking the ticket). These are the flights for late June / early July:

CMI - ORD (V) 625 EQP
ORD - HNL (V) 4243*1.25 EQP
HNL - LIH (V) 625 EQP (Hawaiian codeshare, booked as AA7902)
LIH - LAX (V) 2615*1.25 EQP
LAX - DFW (V) 1235*1.25 EQP
DFW - CMI (V) 693*1.25 EQP

TOTAL EQP: 12232

A verification of from someone who is much more familiar would be greatly appreciated, as I'm still learning the ropes and don't want to miss something obvious - thanks!

I assume your fare is V class, which only earns you 100% EQP. So your 25% Gold bonus miles do not count for EQP purposes.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:50 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk and the AA forum, adamplane! As you've noticed, your thread has been folded into the Challenge Help Desk thread. For future reference, here's the thread/post about other helpful "Help Desk" threads we have on this forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ts-awards.html Thanks for your cooperation! /Moderator
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:53 pm

As geclub1 already pointed out, V earns 1.0 EQP per mile. (Here's the Inventory Class table along with the # of EQP earned: http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...ility_%28AA%29) For the purposes of the Platinum Challenge, you're focused on elite qualifying POINTS. Your status bonus as a Gold only earns you extra REDEEMABLE miles, which unfortunately has no bearing on any of the elite qualifying metrics (segments, miles, points).

Based on your current itinerary, I get 9,786 points (which factors in the 500-minimum EQP you earn as an elite member). Leaves you short just a little bit...

(EQP isn't the most intuitive metric for someone who's new to a Challenge or to the AAdvantage program. I remember when I was a "newbie," I referred heavily to the wiki page here: http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...lenge_%28AA%29)
Old Apr 13, 2011, 1:04 pm

Thanks for the quick replies and the information geclub1 and JY1024! 9,786 is so close, I'm pretty sure I'll fly those remaining 214 miles sometime in the rest of those three months-great excuse for another trip!

Just to make sure, I can sign up for a challenge to be used on tickets already purchased, correct?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 1:12 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by adamplane
Thanks for the quick replies and the information geclub1 and JY1024! 9,786 is so close, I'm pretty sure I'll fly those remaining 214 miles sometime in the rest of those three months-great excuse for another trip!

Just to make sure, I can sign up for a challenge to be used on tickets already purchased, correct?
Yes.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 1:14 pm

Great! Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.