Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2011, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.330 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

When you log in to aa.com, you should see a little bar/emblem in the upper right corner just above the menu. That emblem reflects your status ("Gold", "Platinum", "EXP", etc).

You can also access the AAdvantage account activity page, where you'll see you current status and progress towards renewal and progression to other levels.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 8:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

If your account says you are Gold, you are Gold and it will be reflected on your boarding passes, etc. But - one small caveat - if you had pre-existing bookings, you may have to call to have your status updated on them.

I would also recommend using the Wiki and the FAQ here so you can find out more about status, the Challenge, etc.

Note: this post will have been merged into the existing thread when you look next. JDiver, Moderator
Old Apr 22, 2011, 8:15 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro (2MM), HH DIA, IHG PLT
Platinum Challenge- Bonus Miles/Points

I am on a Platinum Challenge and noticed in my account that I am receiving bonus miles for flights that appear to be credited to my elite points status. I thought bonus miles were only for upgrades. Do bonus miles qualify for elite point totals?
Old Apr 22, 2011, 8:19 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Are these flights that are fewer than 500 miles? That would make a difference. Specifics will help.

As you are new here, I would suggest reading the FAQ and other "stickied" materials where the basic function of the AAdvantage program is spelled out in great detail.

Cheers.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 8:23 am

Yes these are short hop < 300 mile legs. I will look at the stickies, thanks.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 8:37 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
if you currently have gold status, you should get a 500 mi minimum....the # of points varies by fare code iirc....

good luck...
Old Apr 22, 2011, 8:48 am

The 500 mile minimum makes sense. The odd thing is that it is a TUL-DFW leg that was 237 miles and the bonus was 388 giving me 625 for the leg. That is what I can't figure out.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 9:15 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by Maui Time
The 500 mile minimum makes sense. The odd thing is that it is a TUL-DFW leg that was 237 miles and the bonus was 388 giving me 625 for the leg. That is what I can't figure out.
Gold Elite Status Bonus. 500*1.25 = 625.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 9:22 am

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton diamond, Hyatt Diamond
question

I seemed to notice these challenges are three months each. what are the dates? I ask because I'm flying TPA-DFW-LAX twice r/t in P class in late june, early july. Any suggestions? If I added correctly, it would be about 12984 eqp

Last edited by dopey!; Apr 22, 2011 at 9:28 am Reason: added eqp
Old Apr 22, 2011, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by dopey!
I seemed to notice these challenges are three months each. what are the dates? I ask because I'm flying TPA-DFW-LAX twice r/t in P class in late june, early july. Any suggestions?
Challenges begin on the 1st or 16th of each month. When you sign up you can choose between the most recent date in the past or the next three future dates. For example, if you called today you could have a challenge start date of April 16th, May 1st, May 16th, or June 1st. Challenges started Before June 16th confer status through February 2012. Challenges started June 16th and after confer status through February 2013. Expect the challenge fees to increase on June 16th.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
Challenges begin on the 1st or 16th of each month. When you sign up you can choose between the most recent date in the past or the next three future dates. For example, if you called today you could have a challenge start date of April 16th, May 1st, May 16th, or June 1st. Challenges started Before June 16th confer status through February 2012. Challenges started June 16th and after confer status through February 2013. Expect the challenge fees to increase on June 16th.
Thanks for the info. The fees dont bother me.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 9:59 am

Duh! I should have been able to figure that out. Thanks. A follow up question... do the bonus miles qualify for elite points? They are showing up in my account as elite miles and points. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Maui Time
Duh! I should have been able to figure that out. Thanks. A follow up question... do the bonus miles qualify for elite points? They are showing up in my account as elite miles and points. Thanks in advance.
Elite status bonus miles do not count as elite qualifying miles/points. I can't help but think you must be reading your account incorrectly, or some up to this point unknown error is affecting you.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
Elite status bonus miles do not count as elite qualifying miles/points. I can't help but think you must be reading your account incorrectly, or some up to this point unknown error is affecting you.
Hey, if bonus miles count as elite qualifying miles, than AA EXP would be so easy to acquire it's not even funny....
Old Apr 29, 2011, 5:04 pm

Gold vs Platinum Challenge: Is this true?

I paid $100 yesterday to sign up for the AA GLD challenge (to begin May 1st) and realized today that I will likely attain 10,000 EQPs by the end of July. I called today and was told that it was too late to change it to a PLT challenge.

However, the AA customer service rep did tell me that if I reach 10,000 EQPs before July 31st, I can simply pay an extra $80, upgrade to the PLT challenge, and immediately get PLT status. He told me that, had I elected the PLT challenge yesterday, I would have paid $180 upfront and, if i didn't reach 10,000 EQPs by July 31st, I would lose the full $180 and not have attained any elite status.

I am very skeptical of what I was told for one big reason: why would anyone pay the $180 upfront, with the possiblility of attaining nothing, when they could simply start with the GLD challenge, re-assess their EQPs, and upgrade the challenge during the three-month window as appropriate? Why would anyone not retain that optionality?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.