Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2011, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Originally Posted by <3vacations
Hmmm... So Right now I am a DL Silver.. so aside from free bags, and better seats in coach, I don't get much.. I am planning on taking a trip to HGK from HSV and was trying to figure out what airline, having a hard time giving up the miles to some one other than delta... but with the challenge if I buy the $1800 M class ticket I will get Plat on there no problem right?

Now is it worth it?
If you keep flying AA (or at least oneworld) after getting it, it may be worth it. If you will have a hard time giving up the miles to someone other than Delta going forward it's certainly not worth it...
Old Mar 5, 2011, 4:46 pm

Programs: TK CP, Lapsed DL FO, Mr. <3Vacations Free Rider, Numerous programs
I mean, Id continue to use them if I liked the airline and it proved to be convenient to my destinations.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 11:41 am

platinum challenge question

In 2009, I earned enough EQM to get platinum AAdvantage status. In 2010, my travel dropped off, and I was downgraded to Gold for 2011. Can I apply for a challenge to regain platinum status? (ie, earn the 10,000 EQP in 3 months). My travel is going to start getting heavy again.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 11:47 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You question has been asked many times, and you can find your answer in this thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-platinum.html
Old Mar 6, 2011, 12:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

AA has become more parsimonious with the Challenge, which was intended for those making a transition to American's AAdvantage program from another FFP and a "short-cut" to status for those who will fly AA significantly.

IMO, you can always call, but it's not likely they will allow you to regain Platinum status with a Challenge when you 1) could have qualified by flying, and 2) apparently are choosing not to renew your lost Platinum status by purchasing it back for the year, as offered. (See this FT thread, or AA's page on repurchasing status this year).

Mod hat on: This will now be merged into the Challenge Hel Desk thread. /Mod hat off
Old Mar 6, 2011, 4:36 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the flight during which you hit status nets the status bonus miles (25% for GLD; 100% for PLT and EXP) for that flight. Does this apply to those on GLD/PLT challenges as well?

If so, does it also apply if you fly the total miles required to complete the challenge in a single flight?
Old Mar 6, 2011, 7:23 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SQ421
Does this apply to those on GLD/PLT challenges as well?

If so, does it also apply if you fly the total miles required to complete the challenge in a single flight?
Yes and yes. Please see the Challenge wiki (http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...ng_a_Challenge):

An AA Challenge is successfully completed when you earn the requisite number of points within the three month period after you sign up. In general, status is not conferred during the Challenge itself, however it has been reported that Platinum Challenge participants having elite status on another airline may be granted temporary GLD status immediately upon commencing the challenge. On the flight on which you actually cross the threshold, status is earned for the purposes of elite bonus miles (25% GLD, 100% PLT) and miles from that flight will be added counting towards elite upgrades (4 upgrades per 10,000 base miles), although those bonus miles will post separately in View My Miles and may require a call to AAdvantage Customer Service if they do not post automatically.
(underlining is mine)
Old Mar 8, 2011, 8:53 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, CO, UA, HHonors
Do EQP post at different times than EQM??

Does anyone know if EQP post to your account at different times than EQM?

I've flown DFW-DCA and DCA-DFW over the past week (1192 EQM). On the first flight the booking code earned 0.5 EQP per mile. On the second flight i upgraded to an "A" booking class (1.5 eqp per mile). So by my count i should have received 2384 EQP between the two flights.

The EQM for these flights have already posted to my account correctly, but the EQP posted as 1788 over these two flights. I am hoping the 596 from the deep discount flight are still pending.

Has anyone ever had this issue? I started my Platinum challenge on 2/16
Old Mar 8, 2011, 9:00 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Shwuck
Does anyone know if EQP post to your account at different times than EQM?

I've flown DFW-DCA and DCA-DFW over the past week (1192 EQM). On the first flight the booking code earned 0.5 EQP per mile. On the second flight i upgraded to an "A" booking class (1.5 eqp per mile). So by my count i should have received 2384 EQP between the two flights.
They post at the same time.

When you say "upgraded," do you mean that you paid a fare difference to 'A', or did you use an upgrade instrument to move into 'A'? In the former case, you would be due the 1.5 EQP. In the latter case, you would only be due the 0.5 EQP as upgrading doesn't change the base purchased inventory, and that's what determines earnings.

Cheers.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 9:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, CO, UA, HHonors
Originally Posted by brp
They post at the same time.

When you say "upgraded," do you mean that you paid a fare difference to 'A', or did you use an upgrade instrument to move into 'A'? In the former case, you would be due the 1.5 EQP. In the latter case, you would only be due the 0.5 EQP as upgrading doesn't change the base purchased inventory, and that's what determines earnings.

Cheers.
I upgraded at the check in counter via a paid upgrade from a K booking class (1 EQP per mile) to A class.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 9:54 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Shwuck
I upgraded at the check in counter via a paid upgrade from a K booking class (1 EQP per mile) to A class.
Then you'll still get the 1.0 EQP (I had assumed that this flight was originally in a 0.5 EQP fare as well). In any event, the original booking class determines the earning in the case of upgrades.

Cheers.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by brp
Then you'll still get the 1.0 EQP (I had assumed that this flight was originally in a 0.5 EQP fare as well). In any event, the original booking class determines the earning in the case of upgrades.
That was my original thought as well, but are there any upgrades that book into A inventory that one can buy? LFBUs book into R or X inventory; I think upgrades into A would be either miles+copay or SWUs. Since A is also a revenue bucket, is it possible that Shwuck upfared to a revenue A fare and thus would be entitled to 1.5 EQP/EQM? I've little experience with upfaring, and have no experience upfaring at the airport, so these questions are really borne out of ignorance, my apologies!
Old Mar 8, 2011, 1:34 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K
Challenge Question

Hi All,

I am going to be doing a bunch of flying this summer. I just booked the following itn:
LAX-MIA-SCL in N class May 23 rtn June 18 (all AA operated) (About 6K q-points)
LAX-JFK-HKG in M class June 18 rtn August 6th (AA to JFK then AA Codeshared on Cathay Pacific to HKG) (21k Q points)
LAX-IAD in N on August 25 return Dec 16. (AA operated) (1000 q points)

I was thinking of doing a plat challenge since I will have over 10k in Q points...what do you guys think? Is their a real big difference between Gold and Plat? Do you ever get complimentary upgrades? Whats it like traveling on Oneworld airlines when you have status?
Old Mar 8, 2011, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by jasongc87
Hi All,

I am going to be doing a bunch of flying this summer. I just booked the following itn:
LAX-MIA-SCL in N class May 23 rtn June 18 (all AA operated) (About 6K q-points)
LAX-JFK-HKG in M class June 18 rtn August 6th (AA to JFK then AA Codeshared on Cathay Pacific to HKG) (21k Q points)
LAX-IAD in N on August 25 return Dec 16. (AA operated) (1000 q points)

I was thinking of doing a plat challenge since I will have over 10k in Q points...what do you guys think? Is their a real big difference between Gold and Plat? Do you ever get complimentary upgrades? Whats it like traveling on Oneworld airlines when you have status?
I would say it's worth it. You will get J class lounge access, and the ability to select seats in advance on BA. Plus mileage bonus etc.. No complimentary upgrades though, except on Y or B fares, which Gold already gets.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 1:55 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K
One thing that I am wondering is I will get status between the flights from LAX-JFK-HKG, does that mean on my flight back I will get the bonus points?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.