Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2008, 9:41 pm

Aha...it's a challenge. I read right through that and didn't pay attention.

Different story: book the AA flight number or it won't count. You'll get 1.5 points per mile, so about 22,260 for the round trip, if you're buying an eligible business class fare.

You should come up Platinum. See the Sticky at the head of this program thread if you haven't already read it -- should cover your questions.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
you should easily meet the 10,000 EQ Points Platinum Challenge requirement with a paid Biz class R/T fare. no worries, mite!
Old Jun 30, 2008, 11:10 pm

Thanks. So the key here is to sign up for AA Advantage, sign up for The Challenge and then book the Qantas flights ticketing them via AA.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by corbes63
Thanks. So the key here is to sign up for AA Advantage, sign up for The Challenge and then book the Qantas flights ticketing them via AA.
ticketing them with AA flight numbers. use www.lan.com, u may avoid a slight YQ charge. or book with qantas or aa or whoever, as long as they are AA flight numbers
Old Jun 30, 2008, 11:47 pm

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Just a oneway SFO-SYD in business class is enough to complete a Plat challenge. It does take a few days for the miles to post and your status to update, so if you have other OW flights before then (like intra-Australia or Trans-Tasman) you will likely not get lounge access. Also, once your miles do post and status updates, makes sure you call and have and have them re-enter your Aadvantage number to ensure your status show appropriately on the rez.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 12:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The original post and dependent posts have been relocated to the sticky - but I want to emphasize the fare must be purchased in a fare that earns miles, and that it is the POINTS that earn Challenge status, not miles.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Premier Executive
Talking

Originally Posted by louienet
Originally Posted by jws026
just make sure that companion ticket is eligible for EQP/EQM. some aren't.
Thanks for the warning.

I asked specifically about that. The rep said that my companion ticket looks just like a regular ticket to her. I'm guessing that since I got the deal through my travel agent's promo offer, AA will give us the EQP/EQM for it.
Whee! The miles and points posted 3 days after we completed our trip. AA.com now shows that both my gf and I have platinum status.

Thank you to all of you who contributed to the knowledge base! In my gratitude, I've updated the wiki with everything new that I've learned:

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Challenge_(AA)

Louie

Last edited by louienet; Jul 2, 2008 at 6:15 pm
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Gold Challenge question

Hello all, new to the site and to the miles game.

I'm a 19 y.o. college student who does a lot of traveling domestically and internationally. I am involved in a family business that sends me to Chile, Peru, Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Italy, and other places at least once per year. I'm primarily based out of EWR/LGA and BNA. I am relatively new to aadvantage, I have about 65k lifetime miles and 21k YTD elite qualifying. I have never held status but until recently always traveled with my father, an EXP with lifetime PLT.

I will definitely hit gold this year on my own with another trip to S America next week but I am wondering about the PLT challenge! I had never heard of it before reading about it on this site and I think I might be able to pull it off. Would an economy discount ticket from EWR-MIA-LIM, returning GRU-JFK do it for me (it is 10k miles/points but only 2 segments)

Also, are there any other ways to get elite status that I should know about?

Thanks a lot for the help, everyone on here seems to be knowledgeable and helpful!
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:28 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Welcome to FT.

If you have been reading about the PLT challenge here, good for you. Many new members post without reading anything, and it's refreshing to find someone who does some study before posting. Continue to read in the place where you found it, follow the rules outlined there, and you should be fine. For future reference, it does us all a service to post questions like this in the existing threads on the topic, rather than starting new ones. As someone who wants to read and learn, you'll get the hang of FT in no time.

Cheers.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by njvandy
Hello all, new to the site and to the miles game.

I'm a 19 y.o. college student who does a lot of traveling domestically and internationally. I am involved in a family business that sends me to Chile, Peru, Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Italy, and other places at least once per year. I'm primarily based out of EWR/LGA and BNA. I am relatively new to aadvantage, I have about 65k lifetime miles and 21k YTD elite qualifying. I have never held status but until recently always traveled with my father, an EXP with lifetime PLT.

I will definitely hit gold this year on my own with another trip to S America next week but I am wondering about the PLT challenge! I had never heard of it before reading about it on this site and I think I might be able to pull it off. Would an economy discount ticket from EWR-MIA-LIM, returning GRU-JFK do it for me (it is 10k miles/points but only 2 segments)

Also, are there any other ways to get elite status that I should know about?

Thanks a lot for the help, everyone on here seems to be knowledgeable and helpful!
Welcome to FT !

You are aware of the challenge already which is a good start. It doesnt matter how many segments as long as you get your 10K EQP within the 90 days. PLT is great (of course EXP is better though...) and it made my travels much easier last years. Especially you profit from the 100% mileage bonus.

When you complete the PLT challenge now after JUN15 the status will be valid until 2/2010.

Cheers,
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:36 pm

Thanks both of you...

Most of my segments are LGA-BNA (764 miles) and the 2-sticker upgrades are available 90% of the time so status is a huge bonus for me.

Is there any way of talking them into giving you status based on a retroactive challenge? I have done 10K over a 90 day period twice so far this year.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by njvandy
Thanks both of you...

Most of my segments are LGA-BNA (764 miles) and the 2-sticker upgrades are available 90% of the time so status is a huge bonus for me.

Is there any way of talking them into giving you status based on a retroactive challenge? I have done 10K over a 90 day period twice so far this year.
I wouldnt consider your chances too high... you will be gold soon though anyways, so just start the challenge asap and you will be there in a heartbeat. Maybe doing a short MR in addition The FT spirit works !
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
I would sign up for the challenge before you hit gold. IIRC you cannot challenge if you already hold status
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by john93711
I would sign up for the challenge before you hit gold. IIRC you cannot challenge if you already hold status
Most definitely mistaken. You can sign up for the Platinum challenge if you hold Gold status. You cannot sign up for a challenge to a status if you already hold that status.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:49 pm

John, do you mean I would not be able to challenge for PLT if I am a gold?

And skywalker, I have been reading about MRs (its a phenomenon I was not aware of) and I am definitely considering it if I can find cheap fares, which is increasingly difficult these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.