Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2008, 2:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I think that this late in the year if NASATimp is granted a Challenge and s/he completes it, status would persist through 28 Feb 2010. I do seem to think recalling others who have done this successfully (dropped back one status level and taken a Challenge again a few months later) - definitely against the program's intent as I understand it, but as AA have tightened the program up they seem to still have this loophole available, though a sharp agent might see the record and deny.

Originally Posted by IMH
My understanding was that AA does not normally permit the use of a challenge to qualify for a particular status level in successive years. NASATimp had PLT status in the year ended Feb 29, 2008 and will shortly be getting it again, for the year ending Feb 28, 2009, in both cases through a challenge.

Either of us could be wrong, of course.

That would be my point of view, too. But I'd still prefer them to close the loophole.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 2:48 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
I think that this late in the year if NASATimp is granted a Challenge and s/he completes it, status would persist through 28 Feb 2010.
Yes, of course it would. My mistake, and apologies if it confused anyone.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 2:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We can all make misteaks; I certainly have done sew. I highlighted the "10" so folks would see the difference.

The strength of FT is someone will be along soon enough... and correct my (and others') errors. ^

Originally Posted by IMH
Yes, of course it would. My mistake, and apologies if it confused anyone.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1mm), Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by JDiver
Even when requested, the e-mail is reported to be hit or miss. OTOH, I'm not recollecting where someone called and was told they were signed up, only to not be signed up (I'd make a note in my calendar as to when I called and if possible a name...)

The e-mail text is posted in this thread, but you can, of course, call AA to be sure you are signed up - and even request the e-mail again.
Ok, then it isnt just me. I'll call anyway to double check. Thanks,
Old Aug 1, 2008, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
In terms of whether or not one is signed up, I can add this piece of information.

I wrote to AAdvantage a few days ago asking about having my UA status (Premier Exec) honored by AA since I'm increasingly displeased with UA but hate to give up status.

They responded:

....Therefore, we have a special challenge for you:

Simply earn 10,000 points between August 1 and October 31, 2008 on American Airlines? flights, and you will receive AAdvantage Platinum?
membership through February 28, 2010. ......We hope this offer of a "quick qualification" for AAdvantage Platinum status enables you to join the ranks of AAdvantage elite members at a level you will enjoy. Thanks for giving us the chance to earn your business.....

Not being clear as to whether or not I had been signed up, I called and I had NOT been (but am now). Would have been nice if the e-mail had been clearer about the need to "accept" the offer by phoning.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 7:40 am

How quickly can they activate a challenge?

How much advance notice does AA need from me before I want to start my challenge period? Can that be a relatively short period (week?)?
Old Aug 5, 2008, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by chinatti
How much advance notice does AA need from me before I want to start my challenge period? Can that be a relatively short period (week?)?
how about instant?
Old Aug 5, 2008, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by vrbaba
how about instant?
I like that answer ... Does it have to be prior to the 1st or 16th? For instance, could I call on the 18th, and have them activate my challenge starting on the 20th?
Old Aug 5, 2008, 8:18 am
IMH

Does it have to be prior to the 1st or 16th?
No. Reports suggest that a challenge start date can be set retroactively, i.e. you could call on the 18th and have the challenge start two days earlier. However: flights taken between that start date and your call would not count.

For instance, could I call on the 18th, and have them activate my challenge starting on the 20th?
Not quite, but this is what you would effectively be doing if you asked AA, on the 18th, to put you on a challenge w.e.f. the 16th. Your flight(s) on the 20th would count. The challenge end date would be calculated from 16th as usual, though, so there's not really any point in waiting.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
how about instant?
Sort of. Yes it is instant but the start date MUST be either the 1st or the 16th. You can't call today and have it start today.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by IMH
No. Reports suggest that a challenge start date can be set retroactively, i.e. you could call on the 18th and have the challenge start two days earlier. However: flights taken between that start date and your call would not count.
I called on the 8th and got my challenge started on the 1st of that month. The flight I took on the 4rth counted towards the challenge. If others have experienced that to not be the case, then ymmv. There is a very slim possibility that I may have calculated it wrong, but afaik, it counted. I can reverify if someone knows how. I dont keep separate records for my flights.

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Sort of. Yes it is instant but the start date MUST be either the 1st or the 16th. You can't call today and have it start today.
Just so chinatti is clear, he/she can call today and have it started on the first. So any flights he/she is taking today or onwards will count.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 11:07 am
IMH

I called on the 8th and got my challenge started on the 1st of that month. The flight I took on the 4rth counted towards the challenge.
Thanks: interesting data point. I'd still advise against expecting this to happen, though.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
I called on the 8th and got my challenge started on the 1st of that month. The flight I took on the 4rth counted towards the challenge. If others have experienced that to not be the case, then ymmv. There is a very slim possibility that I may have calculated it wrong, but afaik, it counted. I can reverify if someone knows how. I dont keep separate records for my flights.
Originally Posted by IMH
Thanks: interesting data point. I'd still advise against expecting this to happen, though.
AFAIK if it hasn't posted when the challenge is granted, it will count.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 6:00 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by Gandhi90s
AFAIK if it hasn't posted when the challenge is granted, it will count.
Yes. That's what I was told by AA in March of this year and that's been the experience of people I know.

My bet would be that the flight on the 4th counted because it had not yet posted when the call on the 8th was made to sign up for the challenge.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 9:54 pm

Please bear with me as I want to get this right.

Wife and I are thinking about going to Hawaii next June. If I book a round trip OKC/HNL in P and wanted to do a Platinum challenge can I have the flight booked now and call in around the first of June and ask for the challenge to start June 16th as we would be leaving June 21st or would I have to book it closer to our travel date? I have it figured 7918 miles round trip at 1.5 points by booking in P for a total of 11877 points which would be good for Plat.

As I understand we would be Platinum until the end of Feb. 2011. I would book the non-stop flight out of DFW but it is $5926.48 as opposed to $4141.48 out of OKC. Correct me if I am wrong but the only difference I can see going in P out of OKC instead of P out of DFW is the OKC ticket is non-refundable where as the DFW ticket is refundable. I figure $1785 is pretty expensive insurance plus I get a few extra miles out of it.

One more thing for now if I book in P than there is no fee for checked luggage or am I wrong on this.

If anyone has any other suggestions or if I am way off on figuring out all of this please let me know after all I am an AA Novice.

TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.