Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2008, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by flyastrojets
I just wanted to share my return to PLT with someone and this seemed like a good thread to do so!
Congrats!
Old Aug 31, 2008, 7:54 pm

Stranded(?) 650 miles from PLT

I happen to be about 700 EQM away from PLT status with no upcoming flying for the rest of the year. Is there anything I can do to swing this in my favour or just wait for the best end of the year?

P.S. I am aware how there have been comments on this forum that post AADER there is little hope and that you can't 'buy' EQMs. Is there something unknown/hidden that I may have missed?
Old Aug 31, 2008, 7:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
I'm not sure where you are located, but a sub-500 mile rt ought to get you to plat, thanks to the minimum mileage rule. Short flights are generally pretty cheap, especially if there is significant competition on the route.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by captaink
I'm not sure where you are located, but a sub-500 mile rt ought to get you to plat, thanks to the minimum mileage rule. Short flights are generally pretty cheap, especially if there is significant competition on the route.
Some fares don't earn EQMs:

https://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do...quirements.jsp

That said, it's up to how much one values PLT - I would be booking a flight now.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Gold, Marriott Rewards
You can easily do a cross-state (based on if you are US-based) MR in the same day for little cost. And you have 4 months to qualify. Should be a cinch.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 8:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

In the past, there have been reports of flexibility and leniency on behalf of Aa when looking at status issues - I am not sure what the forgiveness was for Platinum. But you would only be able to find out if they were repeating this after the calendar year is over, and if you were not granted status, I suspect you would be much unhappier than if you purchased the cheapest miles-earning round trip and assured yourself status.

Look over the Unofficial Users' Guide sticky, check in particular the link to the FlyerTalk version of FareCompare and see what's up. (This link will take you there as well - you can "shake and bake" so you can see only AA flights, compare by Cost Per Mile, lowest fare, etc.)

OTOH if you actually won't fly much next year, maybe it's not worth the minimal effort.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 8:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by nearplat
I happen to be about 700 EQM away from PLT status with no upcoming flying for the rest of the year. Is there anything I can do to swing this in my favour or just wait for the best end of the year?

P.S. I am aware how there have been comments on this forum that post AADER there is little hope and that you can't 'buy' EQMs. Is there something unknown/hidden that I may have missed?
Fly somewhere in the next 4 months, pay $699 or whatever to buy back PLT status (if offered), or enjoy GLD status with 49,300 EQMs.

If you elect to do the last one, at least you'll get one of the following consolation prizes:
  • 2 500-Mile Upgrades
  • 1 Set of Elite Luggage Tags
  • 1 Admirals Club One-Day Pass
  • 10,000 AAdvantage Bonus Miles (this is a no-brainer)
Of course, you will have to have registered for AADER to claim it.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 8:54 pm

Congratulations! No more Astrojets, but at least flyastrojets has upheld the honor.

Originally Posted by flyastrojets
I have recently had an uptick in travel, with a good bit of that on AA. So I figured what the heck. I emailed AAdvantage telling my story and asking if I could be enrolled in a Challenge. They responded within a few hours offering the Platinum Challenge. I just had to email back with my desired start date which was 7/1. On 8/20 between MIA and DCA I crossed the 10,000 EQP threshold. That trip posted on 8/23 and so did my new Platinum status.

I just wanted to share my return to PLT with someone and this seemed like a good thread to do so!
Old Sep 2, 2008, 8:49 am

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
Made it!!...and a question

Just got back from Australia, and I've met the requirements for a PLT challenge, so I expect notification. However, my trip was not without problems. Due to a 3 hr delay on the MEL-LAX flight, I missed my LAX-YYZ connection on AA and was rebooked on AC. The question is...can I get AA credit for this flight? I'm sure this question has been asked on several occassions, but with my jet lag, I'm just to lazy to search!
Old Sep 2, 2008, 9:40 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by flying chef
Just got back from Australia, and I've met the requirements for a PLT challenge, so I expect notification. However, my trip was not without problems. Due to a 3 hr delay on the MEL-LAX flight, I missed my LAX-YYZ connection on AA and was rebooked on AC. The question is...can I get AA credit for this flight? I'm sure this question has been asked on several occassions, but with my jet lag, I'm just to lazy to search!
First, congrats! Second, the phrase you want is "Original Routing Credit." Call AA and ask for this, expecially if the delay was within their control- mechanical- as opposed to weather-related. For future reference, ask for the "ORC" to be noted in your record before boarding the alternate flight- it makes it easier to get it later. It generally works without that...but not always.

Cheers.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 9:44 am

In the Unofficial Users' Guide sticky is the link for what you want. (We actually try to make it easier for jet-lagged members! And, congratulations.)

Involuntary Reroutes and Original Routing Credit (consolidated)

The title happens to contain the two phrases that will enhance success in securing the EQM/EQP, as in "Due to an involuntary reroute, (insert reroute details and reason)... I would like to request Original Routing Credit."

Now, we can't actually call for you... Welcome back!

Originally Posted by flying chef
Old Sep 2, 2008, 12:32 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by JDiver
Well, don't worry about the miles, directly, on a Challenge - because what you need is Elite-Qualifying Points. You earn 1.5 points per Elite-Qualifying Mile (basically, mile flown - bonus miles do not count in this kind of math) in Business or First, or even B or Y (full Y, not merely coach) and anywhere from 1.0 to 0.5 points per mile flown on other fares.

For Gold you need 5,000 Points within three months' time. So,

CCS-MIA and MIA-MEX = 2635 EQ Miles x 1.5 = 3952 Points
MEX-MIA-CCS = 2635 EQ Miles, and since we do not know which economy fare, we have no idea - it could be anywhere from 3952 for Y or B, to 1317 points for the most highly discounted fares (G, Q**, N, O**, S) - except that O class between the US and Latin America would not earn miles or points.

aa.com: ** Tickets between North America and Europe, India, Asia and Latin America booked in O and Transatlantic tickets booked in Q are not eligible.

So, it is most likely that you would be able to complete a Gold Challenge with your CCS-MIA-MEX return flights, but we can not say for sure because we do not know what fare class your return is in.

aa.com Miles / Points discussed in Elite Qualifications <link>

aa.com miles earned on different fare classes <link>

We also know form the last link you will learn 25% bonus miles in Business (I, D or J fare classes,) but those are redeemable miles, not Elite Qualifying Miles counted for status (or for calculating E Q Points.)

It may seem quite complex right now; all of us probably began feeling that way, learned how the system works and document it here on FlyerTalk for others. We have a welcome announcement at the head of this Forum, and a "sticky" thread entitled Unofficial Users' Guide that has some orientation, links and guide to tools for frequent flyers.
Finally i received my tickets.For the ones who where wondering,what was my Economy class ticket is H.Still good isn't it? And yes, Business is D.Out of the blue,whats the difference between D I and J? Just to know,i know they earn the same points,but as question.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by mvtm
Finally i received my tickets.For the ones who where wondering,what was my Economy class ticket is H.Still good isn't it? And yes, Business is D.Out of the blue,whats the difference between D I and J? Just to know,i know they earn the same points,but as question.
J is regular biz, D is discounted and somewhat restricted biz, and I is deeply discounted and very restricted biz. Of course, within each of these there could be multiple sub-buckets.

In conversation, J is also used for the entire biz cabin.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 1:01 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by Gandhi90s
J is regular biz, D is discounted and somewhat restricted biz, and I is deeply discounted and very restricted biz. Of course, within each of these there could be multiple sub-buckets.

In conversation, J is also used for the entire biz cabin.
Hm that makes sense,because when bought.The operator at the agency told us,that we were getting those business tickets for almost the same price as our economy ones.I don't recall the price,since we paid hotels,tour,car, and the tickets on a big bill.But,i think the price was around $800 each for the biz.

Last edited by mvtm; Sep 2, 2008 at 1:12 pm
Old Sep 2, 2008, 2:13 pm

Help on understanding point value for this:

Hi everyone,

I'm doing a PLT challenge(hoping to get it early instead of waiting to make it sometime next year my travel upped considerably 2nd half of this year and going forward).

Was hoping someone can chime in on this:

I have a trip booked in deep discount fare bucket. LAX-HNL (2 days in between) HNL-OGG (6days) OGG-HNL-LAX.

LAX and HNL are both on AA metal, and HNL-OGG is hawaii airlines, but has an AA flight number (booked all though aa.com).

All booked in Q.

I think the LAX-HNL is easy enough. (i just counted 2556 pts. for the round trip.).

What i'm unsure about is the HNL-OGG segment. it's 101 miles, but will i get 101x0.5? or 500 pts? Also, on the return I go OGG-HNL-LAX. Will I get seperate credit for the first leg @ 500? or will the entire flight that day only count as a non-stop OGG-LAX?

Also, who is the best person at AA to call to confirm this? I asked a rep and they said they didn't have the system to calc it for me. so wondering what desk to call.

TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.