Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2008, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by billgrates3
btw - I recently told a young colleague about the PLT challenge, and she was able to complete it in just the outbound 3 segments. SFO-JFK-BRU-EBB (how many of y'all are familiar with EBB?)
Now, she'll get 2X miles on the return, 4 stickers, and ability to use the LHR and LAX A/Cs on the way home.

p.s. I also first qualified as PLT via challenge based on info from FT back in early 2006.

Thanks FTers!
I am familiar with Entebbe, since former Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu's older brother was the only Israeli soldier killed on July 4, 1976 during Operation Entebbe. This was a bit interesting, since he was the commander of the operation rescue the airline hostages that were "guests" of Amin.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 5:03 pm

Gold Challenge to Platinum Challenge

Hello guys!

I am not sure if this question has been answered before..i apologize if it has been.

I had enrolled in the Gold Challenge in June and just after enrolling into the challenge i realized that i will be able to complete their platinum challenge. I called up the helpdesk and the CSR advised me that once i have 10k points under my belt i should contact them again and they will upgrade my challenge to Platinum.

I did that today and the CSR advised that they can not upgrade me for the platinum challenge (i have 10k points since June, after enrolling into the gold challenge).

Which CSR is correct? Is it possible to upgrade from Gold Challenge to Platinum? I read somewhere that persistance pays. Should i call them again and be "persistent"?

Thanx in advance, guys!
Old Aug 26, 2008, 5:19 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by luminos24
Which CSR is correct?
It sounds as though the first agent was either mistaken or did not understand what you wanted. She/he could have put you onto a PLT challenge. Whether it would have worked for you depends on when you went on to earn the 10,000 EQP, of course - you don't tell us exactly when "just after enrolling" was.

Given that you didn't get enrolled in a PLT challenge back in June, however, I don't think you are likely to get an agent or supervisor to agree to change things retrospectively. You can try, because - as you say - persistence can sometimes work. But if it were me I wouldn't bother. Concentrate instead on identifying the best start date for a new PLT challenge.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 8:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk, luminos24.

Sorry to hear you were given conflicting advice. We've had a few people report they were able to get switched from a Gold to Platinum Challenge during the Challenge; I do not recollect anyone ever saying they were able to do this retrospectively, unfortunately. (I think IMH is probably right in one of the two scenarios he offers.)
Old Aug 27, 2008, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Dia
Miles or Points or Miles?

Hi All

I know the answer to this is hidden in the thread, I equally know that I have probably just read the answer. Somehow I am still not 100% sure, so I'm going to ask anyway.

I am currently plat (through chalenge) and am assessing if I will make ExP this year or not (or if close if I need to plan a late run)

Do I need 100k qualifying points, or 100k qualifying miles?

My summary is below, if its miles I stand a good chance. If its points, I dont. If its miles towards Elite upgrades there is no chance!

YTD Elite Qualifying Points 38,863
YTD Elite Qualifying Miles 59,165
Miles Towards Elite Upgrades 33,377

I have gone through AA.com as well but still not sure.

Thanks
Old Aug 27, 2008, 2:03 pm
IMH

Originally Posted by carruthers
I am currently [...] assessing if I will make ExP this year or not [...].

Do I need 100k qualifying points, or 100k qualifying miles?
Yes

100,000 EQM or 100,000 EQP or 100 segments.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by IMH
Jolly good. Thats sort of what I thought, but then couldn't see the point in having both points and miles. Never mind.

Along the same lines, can I do a mileage run with an award flight? ie. do you earn miles on an award flight?
Old Aug 27, 2008, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
You don't earn miles/points/segments on award flights.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 2:17 pm
IMH

Thats sort of what I thought, but then couldn't see the point in having both points and miles.
Just AA's way of letting us qualify in different ways. Some people (you and I) accumulate EQMs faster than EQPs (especially given AADER earlier this year). Other people pay premium fares and get more points than they do miles. Yet others fly a lot of short segments and qualify the painful way.

do you earn miles on an award flight?
No. Sorry. Have to disappoint you this time. AA isn't that generous. [As MichaelColey noted while I was typing.]
Old Aug 27, 2008, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, AF, SPG
Calling All MR Experts:

I am 1998 points short of my Gold Challenge (I know very lame) and have until 9/30 to complete it. I need to make a trip to Eagle Vail and am trying to figure out a way to utitlize that trip to gain all the points I need without paying through the wazoo for it.

In the deeply discounted fares, I will receive only 1270 total points for the roundtrip (STL-DFW: 550 plus DFW-EGE: 720). If I add a leg on the outbound via ORD, I'll pick up another 500 points because of the 500 minimum. Without having to sleepover in another city, how can I squeeze out another 228 points?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 4:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
why not just do a one-day quick turn MR to someplace like OKC or TUL apart from your trip to Vail? there's got to be someplace you get to/from for a reasonable price from STL on a Sat/Sun
Old Aug 27, 2008, 4:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Maybe you shuold use FareCompare's tool for FlyerTalkers to find the cheapest flight and do an MR< as suggested?

Originally Posted by padaly22
Calling All MR Experts:

I am 1998 points short of my Gold Challenge (I know very lame) and have until 9/30 to complete it. I need to make a trip to Eagle Vail and am trying to figure out a way to utitlize that trip to gain all the points I need without paying through the wazoo for it.

In the deeply discounted fares, I will receive only 1270 total points for the roundtrip (STL-DFW: 550 plus DFW-EGE: 720). If I add a leg on the outbound via ORD, I'll pick up another 500 points because of the 500 minimum. Without having to sleepover in another city, how can I squeeze out another 228 points?

Old Aug 27, 2008, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, AF, SPG
JDiver:
I am not quite certain what to make of all the info on FareCompare, but it certainly is interesting. I am wondering where to find some of these fares...I have not seen Vail under $375 in many months, while FC is showing a $260 fare. Thanks for the link.

Benzguy: Looks like a STL-ORD-STL afternoon coming up soon! Thanks also.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
JDiver:
I am not quite certain what to make of all the info on FareCompare, but it certainly is interesting. I am wondering where to find some of these fares...I have not seen Vail under $375 in many months, while FC is showing a $260 fare. Thanks for the link.

Benzguy: Looks like a STL-ORD-STL afternoon coming up soon! Thanks also.
Hi padaly22 -- I used to wonder the same thing you did... until I signed up for ExpertFlyer. Look at the fare rules that you find on FareCompare, note the booking class, and then do an availablity search for that booking class on ExpertFlyer. It will tell you the exact flights where that booking class is still valid; it is like finding the needle in the proverbial haystack.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Calling All MR Experts:

Is this a trick question? Or am I just so tired I am missing something obvious?

If I understand correctly you have a round trip scheduled that will consist of 4 segments. STL-DFW, DFW-EGE, EGE-DFW, DFW-STL. As you mentioned, each segment earns a minimum of 500 EQP. According to my calculations 4 X 500 = 2000 EQP. If you are 1998 EQP short before the start of this trip, you should have 2 extra EQP at the end of it. Don't spend them all in one place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.