Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2010, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Usually you have to let one cycle go by before you can try the challenge again.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 4:39 am

Miles vs Points

I joined the Platinum challenge and need to hit 10,000 points. My first trip is LHR-SMF return. On the AA website I'm looking at doing:

AMERICAN AIRLINES 51 LHR London Feb 11, 2010
09:55 AM DFW Dallas/ Fort Worth Feb 11, 2010
02:25 PM Economy

N

AMERICAN AIRLINES 1827 DFW Dallas/ Fort Worth Feb 11, 2010
05:00 PM SMF Sacramento Feb 11, 2010
06:50 PM Economy

N

AMERICAN AIRLINES 1654 SMF Sacramento Feb 15, 2010
08:05 AM DFW Dallas/ Fort Worth Feb 15, 2010
01:20 PM Economy

N

AMERICAN AIRLINES 50 DFW Dallas/ Fort Worth Feb 15, 2010
04:55 PM LHR London Feb 16, 2010
07:40 AM Economy

N

I need to maintain similar days/timing as this.

According to http://www.webflyer.com/travel/mileage_calculator/
that's 12,340 miles but because it is an "N" fare does that mean I only get 0.5 x points so 6170?

This is according to: http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Challenge_(AA) but I couldn't find anything on the AA.com official website to back this up? This page:

http://www.aa.com/i18nForward.do?p=/...anAirlines.jsp

has 100% miles of an "N" fare, but no mention of points?

Actually I think I just found it here:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/p...quirements.jsp

So I should try and find some cheap options to get me to SMF that are class: H, K, M, L, W, V any advice?

Thanks
Old Jan 26, 2010, 5:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
You have two options. (If there's more I'm sure someone will be along shortly and tell you)

1. Put the ticket on hold and call AA and have them bump the reservation to a code that gives you 1 EQP/mile.

2. On the AA website, where it says "Show Results By" choose schedule. On later screens it will give you more visibility on the codes you want.

Option 1 is probably easier, but I was able to set up my DW's challene using option 2.

Originally Posted by mentat
I joined the Platinum challenge and need to hit 10,000 points. My first trip is LHR-SMF return. On the AA website I'm looking at doing:

AMERICAN AIRLINES 51 LHR London Feb 11, 2010
09:55 AM DFW Dallas/ Fort Worth Feb 11, 2010
02:25 PM Economy

N

AMERICAN AIRLINES 1827 DFW Dallas/ Fort Worth Feb 11, 2010
05:00 PM SMF Sacramento Feb 11, 2010
06:50 PM Economy

N

AMERICAN AIRLINES 1654 SMF Sacramento Feb 15, 2010
08:05 AM DFW Dallas/ Fort Worth Feb 15, 2010
01:20 PM Economy

N

AMERICAN AIRLINES 50 DFW Dallas/ Fort Worth Feb 15, 2010
04:55 PM LHR London Feb 16, 2010
07:40 AM Economy

N

I need to maintain similar days/timing as this.

According to http://www.webflyer.com/travel/mileage_calculator/
that's 12,340 miles but because it is an "N" fare does that mean I only get 0.5 x points so 6170?

This is according to: http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Challenge_(AA) but I couldn't find anything on the AA.com official website to back this up? This page:

http://www.aa.com/i18nForward.do?p=/...anAirlines.jsp

has 100% miles of an "N" fare, but no mention of points?

Actually I think I just found it here:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/p...quirements.jsp

So I should try and find some cheap options to get me to SMF that are class: H, K, M, L, W, V any advice?

Thanks
Old Jan 26, 2010, 5:21 am

call and get them to bump the reservation code?

I've never heard of this. What does this really mean? why would they even do this for me? I have already put the flights on hold via the online form
Old Jan 26, 2010, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Gamecock
1. Put the ticket on hold and call AA and have them bump the reservation to a code that gives you 1 EQP/mile..
Best way to do it. And often the difference in fare between G, Q, N and V isn't very much.

Also when you upfare, you don't need to refare the entire trip, but either both int'l segments OR LHR-DFW-SMF-DFW.

Another option: more segments = more miles
Old Jan 26, 2010, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never heard of this. What does this really mean? why would they even do this for me? I have already put the flights on hold via the online form
Yes, people does this all the time, simply ask them to reprice your held reservation so that you can earn 1 pt/mile. After all, you are asking them to do something that will ultimately make them more $$.

AA will price it out, put it back on hold,and you can book it online still.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 5:32 am

Programs: American Airlines EXP 1.99 MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador, UA 1K

Merely call and ask an agent to change your fare class To one that earns 1 point per mile. This happened a lot before restrictions were removed on systemwide and mileage upgrades. If one agent can't do it, there will be another Who cAn and will!
Old Jan 26, 2010, 5:40 am

I've never heard of this.
Just because you have never heard of this doesn't mean they won't do it. After all, most people would never do what I am describing. But you have a purpose for paying a slightly higher fare. No one in the real world sits around and claims to have called the airline to pay more.

What does this really mean?
It means you call them, tell them you would like the fare bumped from "N" to "H,K,L,M,V or W." It means you will complete the Challenge in one trip as opposed to two.

why would they even do this for me?
Why would they do it? I don't know, maybe because they make more money on the deal? I did it for myself and daughter in November 2008.

Sometimes it's best to accept the advice of people who have already done what you are trying to do.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:15 am

I am planning a trip in June 2010 from Melbourne to New York return.
Im not yet even a member of AAdvantage but am keen to join up and do the platinum challenge so that i can get to platinum fast and enjoy the benefits of oneworld sapphire. A quick flight search on AA.com gave me the schedule below. What i would like to know is if this itinerary will get me to platinum if i turn it into a challenge? The search didnt reveal what booking class so what would it actually be for this case? and will it give me the required EQP and EQM? (It is just a standard fare). Cheers!!!

Melbourne to New York

Flight 1 Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Departure: 07:45 Melbourne, Australia - Tullamarine, terminal 1
Arrival: 09:10 Sydney, Australia - Kingsford Smith, terminal 3
Airline: American Airlines AA7403
Aircraft: Boeing 737 All Series Passenger
Operated by Qantas Airways
Fare type: Standard/Economy Restricted
BREAKFAST

Change of plane required. Time between flights = 1h05min.

Flight 2 Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Departure: 10:15 Sydney, Australia - Kingsford Smith, terminal 1
Arrival: 06:40 Los Angeles, USA - Los Angeles International, terminal B
Airline: American Airlines AA7365
Aircraft: Boeing 747-400
LUNCH, REFRESHMENT

Change of plane required. Time between flights = 2h05min.

Flight 3 Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Departure: 08:45 Los Angeles, USA - Los Angeles International, terminal 4
Arrival: 17:25 New York, USA - John F Kennedy, terminal 8
Airline: American Airlines AA34
Aircraft: Boeing 767-200/200ER

FOOD FOR PURCHASE

New York to Melbourne

Flight 1 Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Departure: 16:40 New York, USA - John F Kennedy, terminal 8
Arrival: 20:05 Los Angeles, USA - Los Angeles International, terminal 4
Airline: American Airlines AA181
Aircraft: Boeing 767-200/200ER

FOOD FOR PURCHASE

Change of plane required. Time between flights = 3h25min.

Flight 2 Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Departure: 23:30 Los Angeles, USA - Los Angeles International, terminal B
Arrival: 07:55 +2 day(s) Melbourne, Australia - Tullamarine, terminal 2
Airline: American Airlines AA7356
Aircraft: Airbus Industrie A380
REFRESHMENT, MEAL (NON SPECIFIC)
Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:39 am

@Gamecock thanks for the help, yes I believe you haha.

I just called AA on this the price went from £489 N to £569 V class, the lady said in order to change this she would need to do over the phone and this incurs a £15 booking fee so my total was £584. A bit of a rip for doing over the phone but I couldn't work out how to do this online. Anyway I will hit Platinum in one trip via the Platinum challenge I've already enrolled in for a bit of extra ££ so I'm pretty happy. This will set me up nicely for the rest of my trips this year.

After I get back from this trip how long does it take for these miles to be applied to my account, and for me to get my Platinum status and card sent to me? can I call as soon as I get back to expediate the process? I'll be wanting to make subsequent bookings fairly quickly but would prefer to wait until I'm already classified as Platinum so I can select better seats etc, get bonus multipliers...

Any other advice or things I should be thinking about/doing, I'm doing 6-8trips LHR to various US locations throughout the remainder of the year.

Thanks
Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vudu
The search didnt reveal what booking class so what would it actually be for this case? and will it give me the required EQP and EQM? (It is just a standard fare). )
W/o booking code there is no way to answer your inquiry. You can find the info on the reservation at aa.com or by calling them.

As an alternative, at least figure out the miles associated w/the trip.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After I get back from this trip how long does it take for these miles to be applied to my account, and for me to get my Platinum status and card sent to me? can I call as soon as I get back to expediate the process? I'll be wanting to make subsequent bookings fairly quickly but would prefer to wait until I'm already classified as Platinum so I can select better seats etc, get bonus multipliers...
It doesn't take long at all for PLT status to appear on your acct, pretty much as soon as the flights post. As for getting card - it can take longer.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:42 am

What i would like to know is if this itinerary will get me to platinum if i turn it into a challenge? ..... and will it give me the required EQP and EQM? (It is just a standard fare). Cheers!!!

There are no "required" EQMs. Only EQPs.

According to the Great Circle Mapper this will get you 20,798 miles. Assuming that you fare code will get you at least 0.5EQP/mile, you should be OK.

If you are booked in a fare that grants 1 EQP/mile, you will qualify for PLT when you reach JFK.

The search didnt reveal what booking class so what would it actually be for this case?
I have no idea. You need to tell us.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 8:00 am

Just for the sake of others, there have been reports of people having the agent change the reservations, and then going back online and paying for it that way.

Platinum should be reflected in your account within a couple of days of completing the challenge. Card can take 6-8 weeks. You really don't need it, unless you want to access BA lounges. They tend to be a bit stricter.

FWIW, you can book future travel now, complete the challenge and then go back and select the seats you like. You may have to call AA and have them link your new status to the old reservations. (I had to do that).

The good part about doing most of your flights as TATLs is that you will have an almost unlimited supply of 500mile upgrade coupons. I currently have 19.
Once you reach PLT I would consider buying 3 or 4 on-line, just to prime the pump. You will get your first 4 free ones 10K miles after you reach PLT and earn 4 more after each RT TATL. (assuming you fly 10K miles) Buying 4 in advance is IMHO very AAdvantageous as it keeps you ahead of the game.

As far as advice, I would get very familiar with the information found on this sticky and this Wiki.

Knowledge is power and this information will go a long way to helping you understand the AAdvantage program and PLT status.

@Gamecock thanks for the help, yes I believe you haha.

Any other advice or things I should be thinking about/doing, I'm doing 6-8trips LHR to various US locations throughout the remainder of the year.

Thanks

Last edited by dstan; Jan 26, 2010 at 9:17 am Reason: fixed broken links
Old Jan 26, 2010, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Gamecock
There are no "required" EQMs. Only EQPs.

According to the Great Circle Mapper this will get you 20,798 miles. Assuming that you fare code will get you at least 0.5EQP/mile, you should be OK.

If you are booked in a fare that grants 1 EQP/mile, you will qualify for PLT when you reach JFK.

I have no idea. You need to tell us.

It should be L class, but just going by AA.com reveals that this particular fare earns "0.50 to 1.00 points for every mile flown". So im guessing that even if it is a deep discount code then that means that if platinum isn't obtained on arrival at JFK, then it should be on arrival back in MEL???

Surely this is too easy and too good to be true... hitting platinum from one MEL-JFK return trip??? Or is that what everyone in the know does. Cost is barely AUD$2000.

Am i right in saying that you need to do a minimum of 4 segments during the challenge to qualify? Is it still legitimate to rack up the segments in the way i have proposed (i.e. MEL-JFK containing 3 AA segments alone)?

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.