Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2010, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA 2MM,Marriott, Hilton
If you make EXP anytime in 2010 you will be EXP until 2/2012. Then the soft landing starts unless the rules change.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 7:42 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by WrLdTrvLnIndian
on that note, question regarding making EXP too soon. Would it be the same case as other status's. If i make EXP lets say by MARCH (although i am not lol) will my EXP only be till 2/2011, whereas if i made EXP in August it would last till 2/2012?
This is also not true for PLT or GLD earned through normal flying. Doesn't matter when the status is obtained. The information in the FAQ (or on AA.com) regarding the way the AAdvantage elite program works may be a valuable read for you and help avoid misconceptions.

Cheers.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by WrLdTrvLnIndian
on that note, question regarding making EXP too soon. Would it be the same case as other status's. If i make EXP lets say by MARCH (although i am not lol) will my EXP only be till 2/2011, whereas if i made EXP in August it would last till 2/2012?
AA challenges carry w/them very specific rules and timelines (including the relationship between date of challenge and length of status; EXP isn't available via a challenge)
Old Jan 28, 2010, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by bdemaria
It would be worth an extra year of status just to save on checked bag fees.
Not to mention the ability to reserve exit row seats at the time of purchase.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 1:05 pm

Thanks for the education

As a result of finally spending time lurking and reading the outstanding information contained on FT I was able to convince Madame Tondoleo to take a Platinum challenge on her work related excursions. She obtained her status in November. Madame is quite pleased with her new status and the benefits that come with it. Thus, thanks for everyone here who has taken the time to provide information for sluggish folks such as myself and busier wife who were unaware of the challenge.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by bdemaria

It would be worth an extra year of status just to save on checked bag fees.
Well said !!
Old Jan 30, 2010, 3:47 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by tondoleo
As a result of finally spending time lurking and reading the outstanding information contained on FT I was able to convince Madame Tondoleo to take a Platinum challenge on her work related excursions. She obtained her status in November. Madame is quite pleased with her new status and the benefits that come with it. Thus, thanks for everyone here who has taken the time to provide information for sluggish folks such as myself and busier wife who were unaware of the challenge.
^ Glad it worked out well!
Old Jan 30, 2010, 6:21 pm

Platinum Challenge – need help with several questions

Thanks to many savvy FT AA flyers on this board, I have decided to take the Platinum Challenge beginning after June 16, 2010. Despite the fact that I have read over the rules and many times the related threads. I still have a few questions before I book my flights, which are listed below:

SFO-DFW-NRT-BKK on the outbound. All Economy W fares
BKK-NRT-ORD-SFO on the inbound. All Economy W fares.
The choice of the above itin is for none other than for price.

NOTE: the NRT-BKK & BKK-NRT segments are AA codeshare flights (AA2466 & AA codeshare 5835, both on JL metal)

Here are my questions:
1. Am I right to assume 1 EQP for each mile flown based on all W-fare and AA codeshares?
2. According to Great Circle Mapper, the outbound flights accumulate 9,368 miles (vs 10,780 miles by milecalc dot com); the inbound flights yield 9,567 miles (vs 11,009 miles by milecalc dot com). Using the GCM miles, I am a bit short on just the outbound alone. Can you suggest an itinerary which yields more than 10,000 EPQs on just the outbound to BKK? I don’t want to do an access trip to JFK or BOS for cost and time reasons. Might consider doing SFO-LAX RT right before this trip.
3. Before my inbound trip from BKK, I have an RJ flight BKK-HKG one way. Not AA codeshare. Will this flight contribute anything to Plat Challenge? I guess not.
4. If I attained 10,000 EQPs (assume doing something like SFO-LAX RT) on arrival to BKK, what do I need to do to ensure Plat status be recognized on all subsequent flights?
5. When returning from BKK to NRT (on JL metal), I have only 1 hour and 20 minutes to make the connection for NRT-ORD flight (with checked luggage). Can I make it? How far is the transfer?

Thank you very much for your suggestions and inputs.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 12:18 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
1. Yes you are correct. 1 EQM and 1 EQP per BIS mile
2. When I put your outbound itinerary in GCM I get 10,781 miles. I suspect you made a typo. Also the AA timetable gives a total of 10,772 miles for the itinerary
3. The RJ flight will not count towards the challenge - must be an AA flight number to qualify
4. It should happen automatically (about 2/3 days after the qualifying flight)
5. You arrive and depart at the same NRT terminal (T2); should be no problem, after all AA has sold you a tciket with the connection
Old Jan 31, 2010, 7:14 pm

pandaperth,
Thank you very much!
Old Feb 6, 2010, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by brp
This is also not true for PLT or GLD earned through normal flying. Doesn't matter when the status is obtained. The information in the FAQ (or on AA.com) regarding the way the AAdvantage elite program works may be a valuable read for you and help avoid misconceptions.

Cheers.
And this will be acknowledged when you do qualify for Platinum the regular way--AA will send you another card with the new expiration date a year further out.

I have multiple cards for the years 2006 through 2009:

2006 -- Gold after challenge; Platinum after challenge (the previous rare and now impossible "double-challenge"); Platinum "re-"qualification the regular way with the expiration date in 2008 (challenges were in first half of year so previous expiration dates were 2007)

2007 -- re-issue of Platinum with 1MM logo added (plus pair of luggage tags w/ 1MM and then current Platinum status); re-qualification for Platinum with expiration in 2009

2008 -- re-qualification of Platinum with expiration in 2010; qualification for Executive Platinum (thanks to double EQP) with expiration in 2010 (plus pair of Executive Platinum luggage tags w/ 1MM)

2009 -- re-issue of Executive Platinum with 2MM logo added (plus pair of luggage tags w/ 2MM and then current Executive Platinum status); re-qualification of Executive Platinum with expiration in 2011 (plus another pair of Executive Platinum luggage tags w/ 2MM)

Steve32
Old Feb 7, 2010, 11:13 am

Programs: Amex Plat, DL Plat, UAL Silv, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam, Avis First
Hello,

I need your assistance with a question regarding the challenges

My job requires that I travel from MCO to ORD weekly (just under 1,000 miles) for the rest of 2010. I have a gold status that expires 2/28/2010 and I was considering signing up for the platinum challenge. I figured that even with a discounted fare, I should be able to meet the requirements within 3 months (I already have booked ~3000 EQP between 2/16 and 2/28).

Through reading the wiki I found out that the status acquired through a challenge (if started before 6/16) will only carry me through Feb 2011.

So my question is, let's say I complete the plat challenge by May, will my status expire on 2011 regardless of my flight activity beyond May?

Thank you in advance and I appologize if there's an answer to this in this thread. I wasn't able to find it.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 11:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
No. If you fly 60 segments or earn 50k EQP or EQM during calendar year 2010, your status will extend through the end of February 2012; otherwise, your Challenge-gained Platinum status gained May 2010 would end the last day of February 2011.

Originally Posted by FindMeTravel
Hello,

I need your assistance with a question regarding the challenges

My job requires that I travel from MCO to ORD weekly (just under 1,000 miles) for the rest of 2010. I have a gold status that expires 2/28/2010 and I was considering signing up for the platinum challenge. I figured that even with a discounted fare, I should be able to meet the requirements within 3 months (I already have booked ~3000 EQP between 2/16 and 2/28).

Through reading the wiki I found out that the status acquired through a challenge (if started before 6/16) will only carry me through Feb 2011.

So my question is, let's say I complete the plat challenge by May, will my status expire on 2011 regardless of my flight activity beyond May?

Thank you in advance and I appologize if there's an answer to this in this thread. I wasn't able to find it.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 11:27 am

Programs: Amex Plat, DL Plat, UAL Silv, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam, Avis First
Originally Posted by JDiver
No. If you fly 60 segments or earn 50k EQP or EQM during calendar year 2010, your status will extend through the end of February 2012; otherwise, your Challenge-gained Platinum status gained May 2010 would end the last day of February 2011.
Thank you.

By the way, I just called and was told that the fee for a platinum challenge was $150 (so that might have been a seasonal increase).
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by pandaperth
1. Yes you are correct. 1 EQM and 1 EQP per BIS mile
2. When I put your outbound itinerary in GCM I get 10,781 miles. I suspect you made a typo. Also the AA timetable gives a total of 10,772 miles for the itinerary
Flying Fish says 10778. Why the difference?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.