Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:46 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
1) Both the flight number and equipment has to be AA. If so, you will get 0.5 EQP traveling in Q.
2) No. To count for the challenge, it has to be on AA metal.
That is not correct. It has to have an AA number (marketed by AA). It does not have to be on AA metal to count for challenges:
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...lenge_%28AA%29

"Be sure to fly AA (we know you want to anyway!) since only points earned on American Airlines, American Eagle and AmericanConnection flights (including AA codeshare flights operated by other carriers) count toward Challenges."

(second bullet point in the sample letter section)
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by miamigrad
That is not correct. It has to have an AA number (marketed by AA). It does not have to be on AA metal to count for challenges:
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...lenge_%28AA%29

"Be sure to fly AA (we know you want to anyway!) since only points earned on American Airlines, American Eagle and AmericanConnection flights (including AA codeshare flights operated by other carriers) count toward Challenges."

(second bullet point in the sample letter section)
So then why does it say this for gold chall email " **Q -- excludes transatlantic fares booked in Q and equivalent booking codes on participant airlines" but for plat chall email says Q is .5EQP
Old Feb 24, 2010, 9:30 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by ssafro1
So then why does it say this for gold chall email " **Q -- excludes transatlantic fares booked in Q and equivalent booking codes on participant airlines" but for plat chall email says Q is .5EQP
I believe, but am not sure, that Q fares used to not earn mileage between certain origins and destinations. That is no longer the case.

From the AA Wiki - Inventory Classes and Mileage Eligibility:
Effective for travel as of October 15, 2008, the only fare that does not earn mileage credit are O class fares between North America and Latin America (including Central and South America). Previously excluded Q fares and O fares on other routes now earn full mileage credit.

So, perhaps, the sample letters are from before the restriction on Q fares were lifted? Again, I am not sure about that and am only speculating.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 9:32 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by ssafro1
It's historical. Prior to Oct 15, 2008, Q fares did not earn miles or points on certain routes. That is no longer true:

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...ility_%28AA%29

Thanks for catching this. I'll add a note to the wiki. (Edited to add: actually, it was already there, but I've highlighted it a bit better now)
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by britenbsas
When you get an uniformed AAgent like that who clearly makes things up as they go along to compensate for lack of actual knowledge the best advice is....hang up and call back
Upon placing a call, how does one determine whether or not the agent is in uniform?

Originally Posted by aktchi
Question for OrvilleWright: Did you call AAdvantage desk or generic phone agent? The above advice assumes the latter. However, you should have called the platinum/gold number.
I don't believe which number was called is pertinent. I am fairly sure the GLD and PLT numbers are answered by the same agents who answer the general AA lines.

Originally Posted by dstan
Edited to add: actually, it was already there, but I've highlighted it a bit better now)
The new highlights are nice, but perhaps flashing neon lights would help make it more visible?

Last edited by oklAAhoma; Feb 24, 2010 at 10:58 am
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:41 am

Programs: AA Plat; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; SPG Plat;Hertz Pres Circle; Jelly of the Month Club - Marmalade Level
Originally Posted by aktchi
Agreed. No need to argue with one agent. As soon as it is clear, just thank him, hang up, and call again.

Question for OrvilleWright: Did you call AAdvantage desk or generic phone agent? The above advice assumes the latter. However, you should have called the platinum/gold number. If those guys don't know about platinum benefits, they should be reported.
I called the Platinum number.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by OrvilleWright
I called the Platinum number.
The PLT/GLD/general lines are all answered by the same agents, so in this case the number you called was unimportant. You simply had the misfortune of reaching a less than stellar agent. Sadly there seem to be more of them than there used to be.

Last edited by oklAAhoma; Feb 24, 2010 at 11:08 am
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:29 am

Programs: AA Plat; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; SPG Plat;Hertz Pres Circle; Jelly of the Month Club - Marmalade Level
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
The PLT/GLD/general lines are all answered by the same agents, so in this case the number you called was unimportant. You simply had the misfortune of reaching a less than stellar agent. Sadly there seem to be more of them than there used to be.
I called back today. Got almost the same answer, but she let it slip that she was repeating what she "...had heard from customer service."

At my request, she put me through to customer service. They offered to send me the welcome package, with no idea why I hadn't received it yet. Then cheerfully said "And you'll be getting that within three to five weeks." (It has already been two days shy of six weeks since I qualified).

Again, I explained that I need the card for lounge access internationally. After being on hold for 10 minutes, I was promised that, within the next week, I would receive either a Platinum card or a letter stating that I am Platinum. We'll see.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:39 am

Again, I explained that I need the card for lounge access internationally. After being on hold for 10 minutes, I was promised that, within the next week, I would receive either a Platinum card or a letter stating that I am Platinum. We'll see.
Well, (assuming it actually arrives) I suppose all's well that ends well, but it's a shame you've had to make so many calls for what seems a simple request.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I was promised that, within the next week, I would receive either a Platinum card or a letter stating that I am Platinum. We'll see.
If these don't arrive, I would suggest taking a printout of your recent AAdvantage account along. Can't hurt and may help.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 2:22 pm

Aadvantage Executive Platinum Challenge

Regarding EXPlatinum Challenge, I am enrolled in it starting March 1st. I'm actually Diamond Medallion with Delta and contacted AA via e-mail. They called me back and are allowing me to do this challenge at no cost. The threshold to earn the status is 25K points (not miles) in a 3-month period, which should be attainable without too much sweat for me. While in the challenge, they've awarded me Gold status immediately so that I get some of the lower end perks like no baggage fee, etc.

Anyhow, hope it helps.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 2:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk, NYbarna.

This is certainly an interesting development, and good on them for giving you (interim) Gold status so you can select premium seat, not pay baggage check fees, etc. I also understand they waived any Challenge enrollment fee, and that you must earn 25,000 Elite-Qualifying Points within three months to gain the status you want.

As to what status that may be, did you get any e-mail or other confirmation 25k EQP would earn you Executive Platinum status? That would be a very significant variance to how the (undocumented) Challenge works normally.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 2:47 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JDiver

As to what status that may be, did you get any e-mail or other confirmation 25k EQP would earn you Executive Platinum status? That would be a very significant variance to how the (undocumented) Challenge works normally.
I've seen occasional mention of this "EXP challenge" here a few times. This is an extra-special thing, and not something that can be requested in the way GLD or PLT challenges can. I don't even know if the criteria for acceptance were listed (I would imagine not), but the specifics- 25K EQP in three months- is consistent. It's mentioned in this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

(Just for general information, I searched on "25K EQP" with the quotes.)

I believe that this is real, really infrequent, and has been around for a while.

Cheers.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 2:51 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by brp
I've seen occasional mention of this "EXP challenge" here a few times. This is an extra-special thing, and not something that can be requested in the way GLD or PLT challenges can. I don't even know if the criteria for acceptance were listed (I would imagine not), but the specifics- 25K EQP in three months- is consistent. Of course, I have no idea where those posts were

I believe that this is real, really infrequent, and has been around for a while.
InFrequent as it is, the thread is actually in the FAQ

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ml#post8944019
(Post #170)

[Edited to add - your edit beat me to it!]
Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Welcome to FlyerTalk, NYbarna.

This is certainly an interesting development, and good on them for giving you (interim) Gold status so you can select premium seat, not pay baggage check fees, etc. I also understand they waived any Challenge enrollment fee, and that you must earn 25,000 Elite-Qualifying Points within three months to gain the status you want.

First, let me apologize for the wrong placement of this entry, since there seems to be a threat on this. (New to the forum, so just trying to get my bearings...) Regarding your question about confirmation, I haven't received any. They called me from AA's executive office (I guess they have a small call center dedicated to that) in order to answer an e-mail I wrote to the VP of Marketing at AA pleading my case for EXP status given my history of high mileage and ancillary business with Delta. Although they couldn't provide me with automatic EXP, they did mention they could put me on a challenge. They did point out not to call their standard customer service line because this is not a published program within AA. So if I have any questions I am supposed to call these guys at the executive office.
I tend to think that I happened to reach the right person and they understood I'm a potential high revenue/high mileage customer of AA's main competitor on international routes at JFK, so they saw an opportunity. At the end of the day, this is like any business--if you want to take away a good customer from your competitor, you're willing to be creative...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.