Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2010, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jbrummbrumm
Is the membership period different if you earn via challenge?
This and many other challenge questions are answered in the Wiki, which is linked from the FAQ at the top of the page--where it says "please start here first."

It's a great resource.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 8:43 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Specifically note this information from the above-linked Wiki:

Challenges begun before June 16 of a given year earn status for the remainder of that year and the first two months of the following year (8-14 months total); challenges begun on or after June 16 grant status for the remainder of that year, the following year, and the first two months of the year after (14-20 months total).
I'm not sure what is lacking in clarity here.

Cheers.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 2:35 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Welcome to FlyerTalk, jbrummbrumm!

Your thread has now been merged into the Challenge Help Desk thread, which is here for such questions. Feel free to ask any questions you may have about Challenges in this thread. Also be sure to check out the first post of this thread for general info.

Enjoy!

/Moderator
Old Mar 21, 2010, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by jbrummbrumm
...I decided to do a Platinum Challenge, which I completed the first week of January 2010...One question I have now that I rec'd my membership card is why is my PLT status going to expire in Feb 2011? I thought it would be Feb 2012. On aa.com, the provide the following example: "If you earn 25,000 elite qualifying points or miles on January 31, 2010 (I earned it on Jan. 9) your AAdvantage Gold Membership is good through February 28, 2012"...Is the membership period different if you earn via challenge?
Challenges are different, and not documented at AA.com. The example you quote refers to normal qualification (25K for gold, 50K for platinum). A challenge (5k for gold, 10K for platinum) begun between 1/1/2010 and 6/1/2010 brings status till Feb 2011; between 6/16/2010 and 12/16/2010 till Feb 2012.

As pointed out above, there is also a soft-landing policy. If your platinum status (however obtained) expires in Feb 2011 and you haven't re-qualified, then you'll become gold for the next year.

Anyway, congratulations and good luck!
Old Mar 21, 2010, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by aktchi
As pointed out above, there is also a soft-landing policy. If your platinum status (however obtained) expires in Feb 2011 and you haven't re-qualified, then you'll become gold for the next year.
If offered again, you will also have the chance to buy your way back to PLT. Not sure if someone with status only through the challenge has been able to make use of this offer.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 2:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
My daughter was offered the opportunity to buy back status.

Originally Posted by pnsnkr
If offered again, you will also have the chance to buy your way back to PLT. Not sure if someone with status only through the challenge has been able to make use of this offer.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:16 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Yes, it was offered again this year to those who got status only through the challenge(s).
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Hi all, sorry if this is a newbie question, but I'm traveling DFW-Beirut this summer. I leave 6/25 and come back 7/11.

I'm wanting to do a challenge but I have a few questions. I've read the wiki and the forums but I am still not sure. Here are the details:

I'd be doing DFW-ORD, ORD-AMM, AMM-BEY.

DFW--> ORD is AA Metal / AA Flight / Fare Class M (802 EQM/EQP)
ORD--> AMM is Royal Jordanian Metal /AA Codeshare / Fare Class M (~6800 EQM/EQP)
AMM--> BEY is Exclusively Royal Jordanian Metal (No AA) / Fare Class M (131 EQM/EQP)

The return flights are a bit different on the fare classes. They earn 100% mileage but only 50% EQP.
BEY--> AMM is Exclusively Royal Jordanian Metal (No AA) / Fareclass S (~130 EQM / 65 EQP)
AMM--> ORD is Royal Jordanian Metal /AA Codeshare / Fare Class S (~6800 EQM / 3400 EQP)
ORD--> DFW is AA Metal / AA Flight / Fareclass Q (802 EQM/ 401 EQP).

Here are my questions:
1) So from my understanding since the long haul flights are AA codeshare they will earn EQP towards the challenge?
2) Would I be better off doing a Gold Challenge then upgrading halfway through to the Plat since my first half will get me the 5,000 Points needed for gold?
3) When do you start recieving the benefits? For example, if I do a Gold or Plat challenge, would I recieve the bonus miles for status on the flight I attained the status on or on my next full flight? This also relates to #2
4) Since I am traveling after 6/16/2010 I will have status through Feb 2012 correct?
5) Also, can I request a challenge after booking my flights?
6) Will I earn any 500 mile upgrades for flying 10,000 miles/points on this trip?Thanks in advance for your help...

Last edited by Phasers; Mar 22, 2010 at 11:17 am
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold
5,000 or 10,000 on Plat. Challenge ..if already Gold Status?

Greetings,

My status dropped to Gold in 2010 from Plat. due to not making the 50K in 2009. Question is, the Plat. challenge.

From looking at the challenge program you need 5K to get to gold and then another 5K to get to Plat. If you want to go from "0" to Plat. you need 10K..but only 5K to go from "0" to Gold.

Hence want to confirm if take the Plat. Challenge and I am currently at Gold Status will I need 5,000 or 10,000 points to achieve Plt. status?

I am trying to determine if I should just pay for the Plat. Status of $650 which I was offered or try plat. challenge with a SFO-LHR-ORK-LHR-SFO trip I have planned in April.

thanks much!
Caragh
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by caragh193
Greetings,

My status dropped to Gold in 2010 from Plat. due to not making the 50K in 2009. Question is, the Plat. challenge.

From looking at the challenge program you need 5K to get to gold and then another 5K to get to Plat. If you want to go from "0" to Plat. you need 10K..but only 5K to go from "0" to Gold.

Hence want to confirm if take the Plat. Challenge and I am currently at Gold Status will I need 5,000 or 10,000 points to achieve Plt. status?

I am trying to determine if I should just pay for the Plat. Status of $650 which I was offered or try plat. challenge with a SFO-LHR-ORK-LHR-SFO trip I have planned in April.

thanks much!
Caragh
Welcome to FT!

If you are currently at no status or Gold status (it doesn't matter), you will need 10,000 EQP in 3 months in order to successfully complete the PLT challenge. You don't get a "head start" by being Gold.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 2:27 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by Phasers
Here are my questions:
1) So from my understanding since the long haul flights are AA codeshare they will earn EQP towards the challenge?
2) Would I be better off doing a Gold Challenge then upgrading halfway through to the Plat since my first half will get me the 5,000 Points needed for gold?
3) When do you start recieving the benefits? For example, if I do a Gold or Plat challenge, would I recieve the bonus miles for status on the flight I attained the status on or on my next full flight? This also relates to #2
4) Since I am traveling after 6/16/2010 I will have status through Feb 2012 correct?
5) Also, can I request a challenge after booking my flights?
6) Will I earn any 500 mile upgrades for flying 10,000 miles/points on this trip?Thanks in advance for your help...
1) Yes, if you book the codeshare AA flight numbers, they will count
2) - I'll have to leave this one for someone else to answer -
3) You should receive bonus miles for the flight on which you cross the EQP threshold for finishing the Challenge
4) Yes, but it's based on the Challenge start date, not the flight dates per se.
5) Yes, you can apply flights toward a Challenge after booking (but not after flying)
6) You only start accruing MTEU (miles toward elite upgrades) once you achieve status, i.e.: complete the Challenge.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by dstan
1) Yes, if you book the codeshare AA flight numbers, they will count
2) - I'll have to leave this one for someone else to answer -
3) You should receive bonus miles for the flight on which you cross the EQP threshold for finishing the Challenge
4) Yes, but it's based on the Challenge start date, not the flight dates per se.
5) Yes, you can apply flights toward a Challenge after booking (but not after flying)
6) You only start accruing MTEU (miles toward elite upgrades) once you achieve status, i.e.: complete the Challenge.
Thank you
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold
Thanks!

Thanks miamigrad!

-Caragh
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by Phasers
As your remaining five questions have been answered by dstan, let me address how *I* would approach this.

First, let us recall that the challenge is an undocumented feature. So nobody really knows what might happen. It also means that the (mis)understanding, whim, and mood of the agent you talk to becomes even more important than usual. It is not like you can cite a written rule.

In this situation, I would think that the best approach would be for us to decide what we want, then just call and ask for it. If we get it, great. If the agent said no, just say thank you (no fuss or argument), hang up and call again. Repeat 2-3 times.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by aktchi
As your remaining five questions have been answered by dstan, let me address how *I* would approach this.

First, let us recall that the challenge is an undocumented feature. So nobody really knows what might happen. It also means that the (mis)understanding, whim, and mood of the agent you talk to becomes even more important than usual. It is not like you can cite a written rule.

In this situation, I would think that the best approach would be for us to decide what we want, then just call and ask for it. If we get it, great. If the agent said no, just say thank you (no fuss or argument), hang up and call again. Repeat 2-3 times.
I'm not quite following you here...

The reason I ask is that I would like priority check in on the return leg (not to mention the extra 1500-ish RDM and 4 upgrades since I would have 6000+ more miles count towards those upgrades)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.