Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:42 am

Programs: AA PLAT (0.45MM)
@Microwave: I got the ticket from expedia.ca deal, it is showing under my AA reservation as Jetblue economy U class.

@videomaker: thanks, I guess i'll have to find a local flight to complete the challenge.

Last edited by dstan; Dec 2, 2010 at 2:12 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by gogogo888
@Microwave: I got the ticket from expedia.ca deal, it is showing under my AA reservation as Jetblue economy U class.
That explains it. You'll get 100 percent AA miles on the JetBlue segment, but no AA points.

Here's the chart on aa.com.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:48 am

@videomaker: so the jetblue flight will qualify for the challenge?
never mind..... we need points for the challenge..
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:50 am

@videomaker: so the jetblue flight will qualify for the challenge?
No, sorry that wasn't clear. The challenge is based on elite-qualifying points only, and not on miles.

Make sure you are using points and not miles in your calculations, since some deep discount fares only earn 50 percent points (from the chart I linked to earlier).

Just as an example, your Q fare on the outbound AA flight would earn 2248 elite-qualifying/redeemable miles, but only 1124 points, and only points are counted in the challenge.

Last edited by videomaker; Nov 30, 2010 at 11:55 am
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:52 am

@vieomaker: thanks you so much for your help.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Flying on JetBlue on qualifying flights (as listed here on aa.com) you will earn REDEEMABLE AAdvantage miles, but you will not earn any Elite-Qualifying Miles, ergo no Elite-Qualifying Points.

To earn EQ Points toward a Challenge, you must fly an American Airlines coded flight number on a qualfying fare - the AA flight can earn anywhere from no to 0.5 to 1.5 Points per flown mile, depending on fare class, shown here.

N.B. Two of your previous posts were not displayed until cleared / approved in the moderation queue - new members with very low post counts are not allowed to make posts with embedded web links as part of the Board's Spam prevention methodology. /Moderator

I got the ticket from expedia.ca deal, it is Jetblue Economy U.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:25 pm

Hey guys, thanks for answering my questions.

I'm flying from Jfk to las and jfk-hkg-sfo-jfk in the next 3 months, these are all 0.5 EQP tickets, and my total qualifying EQP would be 9916.5.

I'm thinking about signing up for the platinum challenge, but I'm 84 EQP short, any idea on how to earn it as cheap as possible?

Thanks
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I'm flying from Jfk to las and jfk-hkg-sfo-jfk in the next 3 months, these are all 0.5 EQP tickets, and my total qualifying EQP would be 9916.5.

I'm thinking about signing up for the platinum challenge, but I'm 84 EQP short, any idea on how to earn it as cheap as possible?
First, I would suggest asking all of your remaining questions in one post; posting many questions in a row can look like you're trying to enhance your post count. On this specific question, I'd look at eating a change fee on your Las Vegas trip and moving from B6 to AA metal. Even a deep discount AA flight on that routing will earn you the needed EQPs. Otherwise, look for a cheapo short round trip out of JFK or LGA--the only way to earn EQPs is to fly.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Microwave
First, I would suggest asking all of your remaining questions in one post; posting many questions in a row can look like you're trying to enhance your post count. On this specific question, I'd look at eating a change fee on your Las Vegas trip and moving from B6 to AA metal. Even a deep discount AA flight on that routing will earn you the needed EQPs. Otherwise, look for a cheapo short round trip out of JFK or LGA--the only way to earn EQPs is to fly.
Thanks, I will try to keep all my questions in one post.

Last edited by gogogo888; Nov 30, 2010 at 4:57 pm
Old Nov 30, 2010, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, FB Silver, Krysflier, Hertz #1 Gold, A|Club Silver
Originally Posted by bearaway

That's already what I'm calling, but anyway, will try my luck when it is actually open.
Ok, registered to a Platinum challenge starting dec 1st. Fee was indeed 200$.

In addition, I was proposed to register for the re-engagement program to get some expired miles back. (which I did just in case). I was in a hurry so didn't ask for details, I was expecting to receive emails about all that, but all I got for now is a citycard offer
Old Nov 30, 2010, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by bearaway
In addition, I was proposed to register for the re-engagement program to get some expired miles back. (which I did just in case). I was in a hurry so didn't ask for details,
That's usually a good deal and since you're going to be flying anyway for the challenge, it could be a no-brainer.

Here's a thread where it's discussed at length:

Reengagement Challenges to Reactivate / Restore Expired Miles (consolidated)
Old Nov 30, 2010, 5:57 pm

Is Platinum worth it?

Hi, I fly jfk-hkg once every several years and jfk-lax twice a year.
I have the opportunity earn 10k EQP in the next 3 months, is it worth it to pay $200 to do the platinum challenge??
Old Nov 30, 2010, 6:00 pm

Hi, I fly jfk-hkg once every several years and jfk-lax once a year.
I have the opportunity earn 10k EQP in the next 3 months, is it worth it to pay $200 to do the platinum challenge??
Where is HKF? Do you mean HKG?

If you can't qualify on miles in the next three months, it may be useful to take the challenge. The double miles can be a good thing.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 6:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
It can be a good deal if you enjoy the concept of higher upgrade positions, double redeemable miles, free lounge access on applicable international oneworld flights regardless of class flown, etc. etc. As to how to earn EQP, you need to FLY AA flights - if to HKG, the AA codeshare will work, but not the CX coded-ticket.

Your Platinum status if earned the next three months would persist through the Feb 29 2012, at which piint you would drop back to Gold for another year.

Hi, I fly jfk-hkg once every several years and jfk-lax twice a year.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 6:34 pm

@FlyMeToTheLooneyBin: It is HKG, correction made.
@JDiver: I'm going to fly JFK-LAS and JFK-HKG-SFO-JFK in the next 2 months, they are all in AA code and has 0.5 EQP, I will earn 9916 EQM and have to do a cheapo mile run for $72.
I'm still debating whether or not it is worth $200 + $72 for the platinum status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.