Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2011, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Failed Platinum challenge

Hello,

I am a United 1k who just relocated from southern PA (used IAD for travel) to Frisco, TX. Since I am now DFW based, I have a much easier time booking with AA than UA. I signed up for the platinum challenge (they gave me Gold for the duration of the challenge) however, I will not be able to make the 10k EQPs by the end of the challenge. This is mainly due to my corporate fares only earning .5 points per mile and the fact that I have had several clients postpone visits until after the 1st of the year.....well after the challenge is over. I will be able to make the 5k required for Gold, will AA keep me as Gold for all of next year as I would have had enough points to complete the gold challenge?
Old Oct 7, 2011, 3:43 pm

If you started your challenge during the first 1/2 year then you have to complete standard Gold requirements by the end of the year. The challenge just gives you a jump start on status.

If you started in the second half, then yes, it will last through 02/13.

Last edited by lightbulb; Oct 7, 2011 at 4:07 pm
Old Oct 7, 2011, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
All of this is well covered in the Wiki.

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...lenge_%28AA%29

In short, just phone AA to have the challenge downgraded once you pass 5,000 EQP

Your status will last through to Feb 2013 as you began the challenge in the 2nd half of the year and you do not have to meet standard Gold requirements this year, just the challenge.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 4:02 pm

Have you called AA and asked to be downgraded to a Gold challenge?

Your gold status should then be good until Feb 2013.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ckpeter
Have you called AA and asked to be downgraded to a Gold challenge?
I would suggest not doing that until he has got the points he needs, or they may remove his current temporary Gold status
Old Oct 7, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
good to know, thanks. I have to say, AA has been a HUGE breath of fresh air compared to UA. I will be so glad to not have to deal with UA or US again!
Old Oct 7, 2011, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by GTIVR6
good to know, thanks. I have to say, AA has been a HUGE breath of fresh air compared to UA. I will be so glad to not have to deal with UA or US again!
Glad to hear you're enjoying the switch! All things considered, it really is a great FF program.

Welcome to FT, and to this glorious forum, BTW!
Old Oct 7, 2011, 5:24 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Welcome to FlyerTalk and the AA forum, GTIVR6! Hope you'll find the forum to be as insightful (and entertaining) as many of us do!

We'll now fold this query into our general AA Challenge Help Desk thread. Thanks folks for helping out the OP! /Moderator
Old Oct 7, 2011, 6:57 pm

Programs: Aegean Miles & Bonus Gold, HHonors Gold, Starwood Gold
Hello,

I am a United 1k who just relocated from southern PA (used IAD for travel) to Frisco, TX. Since I am now DFW based, I have a much easier time booking with AA than UA. I signed up for the platinum challenge (they gave me Gold for the duration of the challenge) however, I will not be able to make the 10k EQPs by the end of the challenge. This is mainly due to my corporate fares only earning .5 points per mile and the fact that I have had several clients postpone visits until after the 1st of the year.....well after the challenge is over. I will be able to make the 5k required for Gold, will AA keep me as Gold for all of next year as I would have had enough points to complete the gold challenge?
When does your challenge end? a quick hop to europe in J might be worth it to finish off your EQP.

I'm flying LAS-MIA-CDG for ~1500 AI - There in J (to complete the challenge) back in Q. (To make this cheaper you can fly home for 20K miles if you want).

-SF
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, HHonors Diamond VIP, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive Elite
I had an aussie label me as an American because I used the U. Not sure what that means :-)

Anyhow, I am taking the Platinum Challenge. I start on October 15 through Jan 15th 2012. Here is what I have on the menu-

ORD --> JAX --> ORD (862 points, discount fare)
ORD --> SFO --> ORD (1812 points, discount fare)
ORD --> JAX --> ORD (862 points, discount fare).

Now that only equates to 3636, which is far short of the 10,000 points. For our Xmas trip, we are booked to Barbados on the following routing.

ORD --> MIA --> BGI
BGI --> MIA --> ORD

We booked to MIA and from MIA in "A" and BGI to MIA in "I". Here is where I am getting confused. Made three calls to the AAdvantage desk and I got three answers.
Two said I am fine with the challenge. They said I earn 1.5x points for all of my Barbados trip flights? One said I only earn 1.5x on the "A" ticket an 1 on the I ticket?

So what do I need to do?

I am also concerned about flights canceling, being this is ORD and I am flying on the old 757s the entire trip. Oh yeah, winter in Chicago too :-( One agent (same who said I only get 1 point on I) said I get the points for the cabin flown in if I get canceled - which would likely be economy around xmas. Two others said I get the booked fare flown points, even if all they can seat me in is coach? One of the two said to call them in case my flight gets canceled and they can work with me? So I am confused. Here is my math-

ORD --> MIA --> BGI = 1197 + 1611 MI = 2808 --> 2808 x 1.5 = 4212
BGI --> MIA --> ORD = 1611 + 1197 = 2808 --> 2808 x 1.5 = 4212
Total of 8423 (rounding?)

Now according to the one agent
1197 x 1.5 = 1795.5 + 1611 = 3406
... and 1611 + 1795.5 = 3406
Total of 6812

The other trips would yield 3536 points in total?

So either way I would be fine for the two agents my total would be 11959 and for the one it would be 10348?

Should I book another trip between now and then (personal) for "insurance"?

I had PLT in 2007 and it was much better than Gold. Rant warning - Gold is useless. My Gold card might be a good ice-scraper, thats about all it is worth. Upgrades are nearly impossible, even on weekends it seems, the smashing of groups together means half of the plane has boarded on Mondays and Fridays by the time you get on... When a flight is canceled it does not seem to help rebooking whatsover. My colleagues who have no status end up on the same routings as I do when they are on the same flight as me. At least this is my expierence as a Sun/Mon through Friday traveler out of ORD.

Thanks in advance,

-Matt
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I fares earn 1.5 EQP/EQM. Source

If you are affected by irregular operations (read: cancellations and delays), simply ask to be reaccommodated in your originally-booked class. Ensure that the new routing isn't going to put you short of EQPs for the challenge (although you're already on a very direct routing so that shouldn't matter).
Old Oct 12, 2011, 3:25 pm

Sticker question regarding Platinum challenge

I recently completed a Platinum challenge, and when signing up for said challenge I persuaded the agent to give me Gold at the start (based on my current flying habits).

After flying my 10,000 miles (and points) I was surprised to see no stickers posting. I just got off the phone with CS and was told that as I had not earned the status this year I would not receive the stickers. I am a little confused, does this make sense to you?

Thanks
Old Oct 12, 2011, 3:33 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
what is the # in mi toward 500 mi ug [or whatever] in your aadv account?....if its over 10k, i would call aadv cs & ask....if some of the trips were before the gld status, you wouldn't have been credited in that counter....

let us know what you see....
Old Oct 12, 2011, 3:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Any miles flown while you have status should increment your Miles Towards Elite Upgrades. What is your counter currently? Are you sure Gold was granted right away?
Old Oct 12, 2011, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
I was granted Gold immediately (due to DM status) when I did the challenge this past summer. After completing my 10k points/miles I did receive the stickers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.