Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2011, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by pandaperth
- those two flights total more than 10K BIS miles
- and a couple of days later I had 4 upgrade stickers in my account
I just looked back at my records. I misremembered. The flight on which you complete your challenge does count towards your MTEU counter. I will edit my earlier post to remove the misinformation.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 6:31 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
being gold, you get 500 mi minimum, so dfw-aus would get 250 pts....12 segments gets 3k pts....look for either, both or a como, for the cheapest...
Old Nov 9, 2011, 6:44 pm
In Memoriam

dfw-fll-dfw is 1019mi each way, s 2k+ pts rt...12/7 [wed] rt $248, so 3 for $750....mid week works well & i think you can fit 2 in 1 day....

continue to look for cheaper....good luck...
Old Nov 9, 2011, 7:02 pm
In Memoriam

both of the ideas above should be a last resort.....

what will probably be best is dfw-east coast-west coast-east coast-dfw...
Old Nov 9, 2011, 7:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Also note, please, FlyerTalk prohibits cross-posting. One query has been deleted, all replies have been merged into this thread. /Moderator
Old Nov 9, 2011, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I think my situation is a little unique because of the specific routing (in Business 'I'):

1) JFK-LHR AA codeshare on BA (3451 EQM, 5177 EQP)
2) LHR-BOM BA flight (4487 EQM, 6731 EQP)
3) DEL-AUH EY flight (no EQMs/EQPs/elite bonus)
4) AUH-JFK AA codeshare on EY (6867 EQMs, 10,301 EQPs)

So the plan is to do the Gold challenge and qualify after flight #1. He'd get the 25% elite bonus on that segment as well as #2. And he'd start to earn MTEU on segment #2 (at the latest). So by the time the itinerary is finished, he'll have flown about 11.3k MTEU (earned on flights #2 and #4) and receive the 4 stickers. That's what I'm more interested in than the extra bonus miles, and it wouldn't happen on a Platinum challenge, because the Plat challenge wouldn't be complete until after segment #4 due to the AA code requirement. And then he'd end the whole trip with zero MTEU. I guess I'd have to double check the cost of Gold Challenge + Upgrade vs. Plat Challenge and see how it compares to purchasing the 4 stickers.

FWIW, the RDM difference is about 2k -- the 25% Gold bonus on segments #1 and #2. Not a huge deal but more than you originally stated.

By the way, it's annoying that AA doesn't codeshare on BA's LHR-BOM. I would have routed him via BRU on AA/9W (with an AA codeshare on the BRU-BOM segment) but didn't want to put him on an AA flight with angled flat when I could get him on BA via LHR.
How close are the JFK-LHR and LHR-BOM flights? Are there Gold priviliges you're expecting to get on the LHR-BOM flight? If its just the bonus then you're good. But if there were a benefit they'd expect before the flight (baggage charges, for example) it may take some time for miles to post and the new Gold status to be confirmed.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikelat
How close are the JFK-LHR and LHR-BOM flights? Are there Gold priviliges you're expecting to get on the LHR-BOM flight? If its just the bonus then you're good. But if there were a benefit they'd expect before the flight (baggage charges, for example) it may take some time for miles to post and the new Gold status to be confirmed.
JFK-LHR-BOM is all in one go. There are no Gold benefits I can think of that would be needed on the LHR-BOM flight as it's already in Business. Can AA Gold do advance seat assignment on BA? It's really only the fact that it's a lot of miles toward elite upgrades to forego if there's no status. And a small amount of bonus miles.

Originally Posted by Sagy
ijgordon,

A solution that could work for you is to call AA, sign for the Plt challenge and ask to be given gold based on the flights that you have booked. They is a reasonable chance that they will agree (especially given that the flight are in business).
Thanks, I think I'll try that first, it would be easiest. Seems (from reading here) that they generally only do this when you have pre-existing status on another airline, my partner does not. But maybe the ticketed booking will help.

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
"Price is what you pay. Value is what you get." Unless you would actually buy 4 stickers at $30/each, don't value these according to their list price.
Has it occurred to you that a lot of people do in fact pay $30 per sticker? Even FT'ers? Unlike, say, valuing miles based on a $25,000 r/t JFK-HKG fare on CX in F.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 9:45 am

Programs: AA Gold, MR Plat, Avis First
Originally Posted by clacko
being gold, you get 500 mi minimum, so dfw-aus would get 250 pts....12 segments gets 3k pts....look for either, both or a como, for the cheapest...
So I'd be looking at 6 rts under this scenario?

dfw-fll-dfw is 1019mi each way, s 2k+ pts rt...12/7 [wed] rt $248, so 3 for $750....mid week works well & i think you can fit 2 in 1 day....

continue to look for cheaper....good luck...
Is that RT a full fare price? Or I guess I mean is it 1.0 EQP based on the booking code?

both of the ideas above should be a last resort.....

what will probably be best is dfw-east coast-west coast-east coast-dfw...
I considered this...mabye DFW-NYC-LAX-DFW...think that would get it?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:16 am

Programs: ALL Black Limitless | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Globalist | Marriott Ambassador | Avis President's Club
Hey guys,

When going for the PLT challenge, do you receive equal EQM when flying the required class on another airline, say BA instead of AA?
Asking so because I'll be doing several transatlantic flights and it might be more convenient for me to fly via BA instead of AA.

Also, if one booking (with multi-city trips or a RTW ticket) already helps you reach that challenge, do you get the status immediately and/or can you then get a likely upgrade from Flex Economy to Business Class? How would I go about trying this?

And also, is it interesting to book multi-city trips via RTW tickets or separately? Or multi-city? And how does this affect miles earned for a challenge?

Thanks guys.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Synthesis
Hey guys,

When going for the PLT challenge, do you receive equal EQM when flying the required class on another airline, say BA instead of AA?
Asking so because I'll be doing several transatlantic flights and it might be more convenient for me to fly via BA instead of AA.

Also, if one booking (with multi-city trips or a RTW ticket) already helps you reach that challenge, do you get the status immediately and/or can you then get a likely upgrade from Flex Economy to Business Class? How would I go about trying this?

And also, is it interesting to book multi-city trips via RTW tickets or separately? Or multi-city? And how does this affect miles earned for a challenge?

Thanks guys.
Challenges are based on EQP, not EQM. Make sure if you fly BA metal, that you are on an AA codeshare (marketed by AA with an AA flight number). And once you get PLT, getting an upgrade on partner metal is not guaranteed. I'll leave it to others to anecdotize how frequently it happens on BA.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 1:11 pm

Thinking about trying the Gold challenge for my wife. As of now, she would get 4996 qualifying points--will they require the 4 additional points, or will they round up?

Here are the segments for those that care:

ORD-SLC in G = 1249 miles * 0.5 points/mile = 624.5 points
SLC-ORD in N = 1249 miles * 0.5 points/mile = 624.5 points

ORD-SLC in P = 1249 miles * 1.5 points/mile = 1873.5 points
SLC-ORD in P = 1249 miles * 1.5 points/mile = 1873.5 points

Actually, depending on how AA rounds, she could have 4995-4997 points for the above segments. Thoughts?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by chet
Thinking about trying the Gold challenge for my wife. As of now, she would get 4996 qualifying points--will they require the 4 additional points, or will they round up?

Here are the segments for those that care:

ORD-SLC in G = 1249 miles * 0.5 points/mile = 624.5 points
SLC-ORD in N = 1249 miles * 0.5 points/mile = 624.5 points

ORD-SLC in P = 1249 miles * 1.5 points/mile = 1873.5 points
SLC-ORD in P = 1249 miles * 1.5 points/mile = 1873.5 points

Actually, depending on how AA rounds, she could have 4995-4997 points for the above segments. Thoughts?
History says they will not round up. You are already getting an exception with the challenge, don't expect anything more than what is offered.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Synthesis
Hey guys,

Thanks guys.
I definitely wouldn't count or or remotely expect an upgrade on BA solely based on AA status. Thats a long shot there.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:18 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by mikelat
I definitely wouldn't count or or remotely expect an upgrade on BA solely based on AA status. Thats a long shot there.
As an AA PLT I'm 3 of 6 for scoring an exit row seat on BA; but 0/6 for cabin upgrade
Old Nov 16, 2011, 1:18 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by pandaperth
As an AA PLT I'm 3 of 6 for scoring an exit row seat on BA; but 0/6 for cabin upgrade
Remember, AA PLT are prioritized below BA Silver, oneworld Emerald, BA Gold and BA Premier.

An op up on BA for an EXP is a once-in-a-blue-moon experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.