Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2011, 8:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Thanks pandaperth!

How far can you go back to start the challenge? Vasantn mentioned I could start at Dec 16, but will they allow to go back to Nov 16 to start the challenge at this point? If so I could get to PLT by Jan 1st.

Thanks!
Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:43 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by pilotx500
Thanks pandaperth!

How far can you go back to start the challenge? Vasantn mentioned I could start at Dec 16, but will they allow to go back to Nov 16 to start the challenge at this point? If so I could get to PLT by Jan 1st.

Thanks!
If you don't phone them and ask, then the answer is certain to be 'No'
Old Dec 19, 2011, 6:12 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro (2MM), HH DIA, IHG PLT
Thanks pandaperth!

Thanks!

I believe the 16th is the furthest back they will allow you to go but confirm it by reading the 'sticky' on challenges at the top of the page.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 6:23 am

Programs: IHG About to Be Demoted, AA Demoted to Nothingness
Thanks, vasantn.

Two more questions (I am new to this):

1. If I manage to get Platinum status by 31 January 2012, until when will I remain Platinum?

2. A Gold or Platinum member receives a 25% or 100% miles bonus, respectively. Are these bonus miles elite qualifying for the next membership year? For instance, let's say a Platinum member does a return trip for 2,000 miles total. He/she would receive 4,000 miles. What number of miles count towards maintaining the Platinum status for the following year?
1. Using the example on http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/el...quirements.jsp as a guide, status earned by 31 January 2012 would expire on February 28, 2014.

2. The elite status bonus (100% for EXP and Plat, 25% for Gold) is credited in redeemable miles (RDM), not elite-qualifying miles (EQM).
Old Dec 19, 2011, 6:24 am

Programs: IHG About to Be Demoted, AA Demoted to Nothingness
double post

Last edited by sendbillmoney; Dec 19, 2011 at 6:26 am Reason: double
Old Dec 19, 2011, 6:40 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by sendbillmoney
1. Using the example on http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/el...quirements.jsp as a guide, status earned by 31 January 2012 would expire on February 28, 2014.
pilotx500 was asking how long status achieved via the challenge will last (see post #1999 above where he asked this) if he completed the challenge by January 31. In this case - his status will last until 28 February 2013.

In the general case - achieving platinum staus by accruing 50k EQM or 50k EQP or 60 EQS - then that status would last until 28 February 2014, as you stated.

The bottom line is that the rules on status expiry are different if the status is achieved via the challenge
Old Dec 19, 2011, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT, MP, PD VIP, CX Green, AP
@Sagy

Thanks for the advice - I just signed up for a Plat Challenge today. They gave me Gold in the interim. I see that there are some additionals bonus offers on AA and have signed up. Looking forward to my trip this Saturday (celebrating Christmas enroute to Hong Kong).
Old Dec 19, 2011, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by garynye
@Sagy

Thanks for the advice - I just signed up for a Plat Challenge today. They gave me Gold in the interim. I see that there are some additionals bonus offers on AA and have signed up. Looking forward to my trip this Saturday (celebrating Christmas enroute to Hong Kong).
Hong Kong is fantastic around Christmas time!

Note that the challenge qualifying points must be earned by flying on AA metal. AA does not fly to HKG as of now.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Hong Kong is fantastic around Christmas time!

Note that the challenge qualifying points must be earned by flying on AA metal. AA does not fly to HKG as of now.
This is not correct. The EQP must be earned on AA marketed flights, but not necessarily on AA metal.

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Challenge_(AA)

See the "sample letter" from that link that references AA flight numbers (but the ability to fly on other carriers)
Old Dec 19, 2011, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Still unclear

So, I am still unclear how the qualification periods work...

I signed up for a challenge last month and was mysteriously granted PLT immediately (would've gotten it soon anyway). So membership is set to last til feb 2013.
But now with double EQM I will qualify for PLT normally through 50k EQM by dec 31. Would my status last longer if achieved through the miles or is it til feb 2013 either way?
Old Dec 19, 2011, 5:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by corporateslave
Would my status last longer if achieved through the miles or is it til feb 2013 either way?
There's no way to qualify for status in 2011 and have it last past February 2013.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 4:59 am

Programs: AA EXP
Ok, thanks
Old Dec 20, 2011, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT, MP, PD VIP, CX Green, AP
@Miamigrad

Thanks - and yes, I was sure that the AA marketed flight (codeshare with Cathay) qualified for challenges. Doesn't have to be AA metal.

Looking forward to my flight this Saturday!
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:51 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
I am non-status and flying deep discount (Q) TATL (DCA-JFK-MXP) on Jan 14, with a domestic flight planned in Jan and another TATL planned in March. What's the best strategy for a Challenge? Do Q miles count at 0.5 for Plat?

And how much do I have to fly to maintain Plat for 2013?

Many thanks
Old Dec 27, 2011, 9:42 am
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ckendall
I am non-status and flying deep discount (Q) TATL (DCA-JFK-MXP) on Jan 14, with a domestic flight planned in Jan and another TATL planned in March. What's the best strategy for a Challenge? Do Q miles count at 0.5 for Plat?

And how much do I have to fly to maintain Plat for 2013?

Many thanks
Yes Q fare gets you 0.5 EQP for each Mile.

If you have status then the DCA-JFK-MXP flights will get you just under 2,250 points and with the DEQM you will have almost 9,000 EQM to your credit. If you don't have status then the DCA-JFK leg will get you only 106 EQP (not 250) and 424 EQM (not 1,000).

If the trip to Milan is RT then you will be almost half way to complete the Plt challenge and will need only 32K+ EQM to maintain Plt for next year. To maintain Plt, you will need either 50K EQM in 2012 or 50K EQP or 60 segments.

Good luck,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.