Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2010, 4:21 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by steve32
Didn't this used to be a sticky?

Hard for newbies to find this with it now floating in the sea of other questions.

Steve32
Yes, it used to be its own sticky.

Now it's lumped into the "Help Desk" sticky, which is the third thread on the forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...es-points.html
Old Apr 14, 2010, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by dstan
Even though the A fare bucket is both for revenue fares and Award/eVIP Upgrades, in the latter case, one only receives EQP credit based on the fare class originally purchased.

The exception you may be thinking of is when one gets rebooked in full fare Y due to irrops - in that case, one will generally receive full fare EQP.

Thanks, dstan... yes, I'm aware of that. I was speaking specifically to the fare buckets that the OP mentioned (O and Q). Therefore, if they are processed into A as Award/eVIP Upgrades, and not the "purchased" A fare bucket, the OP should only get 0.5 EQP/mile. As with everything else, there are no guarantees and mistakes do occur.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:17 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by miamigrad
Thanks, dstan... yes, I'm aware of that. I was speaking specifically to the fare buckets that the OP mentioned (O and Q). Therefore, if they are processed into A as Award/eVIP Upgrades, and not the "purchased" A fare bucket, the OP should only get 0.5 EQP/mile. As with everything else, there are no guarantees and mistakes do occur.
OK, it's just that I have never seen that particular mistake (upgrade to A earning 1.5 EQP/mi) reported here, and it's always posted correctly at the rate for the purchased fare for me personally. I did not want the OP to get the impression that such a mistake in his/her favor is common.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:14 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by dstan
OK, it's just that I have never seen that particular mistake (upgrade to A earning 1.5 EQP/mi) reported here, and it's always posted correctly at the rate for the purchased fare for me personally. I did not want the OP to get the impression that such a mistake in his/her favor is common.
Point taken. I didn't mean to give that impression. I was trying to convey that it should *NOT* happen.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 8:08 pm

hey there gang.

i'm thinking of doing the plt challenge late this or early next year on a trip to fco. i get that it is points i need vs miles to complete the challenge. but during the next qualifying year (which in my case would be 2012 correct?) will i need 50k miles flown or 50k points to keep plt?

also i am guessing that the mileage bonus that i get as a plat won't count towards maintaining status. am i correct in that?

thanks!
Old Apr 15, 2010, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by bt13
i'm thinking of doing the plt challenge late this or early next year on a trip to fco. i get that it is points i need vs miles to complete the challenge. but during the next qualifying year (which in my case would be 2012 correct?) will i need 50k miles flown or 50k points to keep plt?

also i am guessing that the mileage bonus that i get as a plat won't count towards maintaining status. am i correct in that?
If you start the challenge on June 15 or later this year, or early next year, status will be good until the end of February, 2012. So you'd need to requalify in the 2011 calendar year with 50,000 miles or points, or 60 segments.

And you are correct, bonus miles will not count toward status.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:03 pm

thanks videomaker.

we're looking at going in either nov of this yr or march of 2011. if we end up going in march, i'll be plt until 2012- but will the miles flown in the plt challenge count toward my 50k? or will i need to hit 60k to keep status?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by bt13
we're looking at going in either nov of this yr or march of 2011. if we end up going in march, i'll be plt until 2012- but will the miles flown in the plt challenge count toward my 50k? or will i need to hit 60k to keep status?
Yes, if you wait until early 2011, the miles/points/segments flown during the challenge will count toward regular qualification though, of course, only points count in the challenge. So completing the challenge early next year gets you status through February 2012. Then if you reach 50K miles or points or 60 segments during the calendar year 2011, you'd have PLT status through February, 2013.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA ex-Plat
Originally Posted by BlackCatGirl07
Hi, of course now I am finding out about this challenge program. Had I known, I would have qualifyed for Gold with my trip to Europe last month. Is it possible to do a challenge using miles accumulated before the challenge started? I have 15,666 points.

Thanks for your help!
if you truly have 15,666 points from the one flight, and they let you backdate the start date, you may as well go for platinum challenge instead of gold.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:26 pm

I just signed up for the PLT challenge with my wife and also realized that we will pass the threshold 10K EQP on our ORD-PVG outbound (of rather complex YUL-JFK-LAX/LAX-ORD-PVG itinerary for oneway travel to PVG from YUL ). So, if I remember correctly, the ORD-PVG flight will be credited with double elite miles, right? ^

And my return, PEK-ORD-MIA-YUL, I will be PLT Nice. Extra 20K bonus miles or so for 150 USD challenge, plus PEK-ORD oneway bonus @ 2.5K... not bad.

I still hold Emerald with LAN so I guess I can access JFK/ORD Flagship lounges as well!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
1) Correct!

2) Yup!

3) As es!

Originally Posted by brahms77
I just signed up for the PLT challenge with my wife and also realized that we will pass the threshold 10K EQP on our ORD-PVG outbound (of rather complex YUL-JFK-LAX/LAX-ORD-PVG itinerary for oneway travel to PVG from YUL ). So, if I remember correctly, the ORD-PVG flight will be credited with double elite miles, right? ^

And my return, PEK-ORD-MIA-YUL, I will be PLT Nice. Extra 20K bonus miles or so for 150 USD challenge, plus PEK-ORD oneway bonus @ 2.5K... not bad.

I still hold Emerald with LAN so I guess I can access JFK/ORD Flagship lounges as well!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Originally Posted by brahms77
So, if I remember correctly, the ORD-PVG flight will be credited with double elite miles, right? ^
To be precise, you will be credited with additional redeemable miles or RDMs, often called "Elite Bonus Miles". They are not the same as Elite Qualifying Miles, EQMs, which are often referred to as Elite Miles.

I'm pretty sure you're clear on the difference. However, I wanted to make the distinction for other people who might be reading the thread and get confused.

if you truly have 15,666 points from the one flight, and they let you backdate the start date, you may as well go for platinum challenge instead of gold.
Very true, but they're probably referring to Miles instead of Points. It's a very common confusion, especially with hotel programs etc using "points" as their accumulation measurement.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:18 am

Programs: AA ExPLT, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex PLT, Hertz GLD, National EX
Change from Plat to Gold challenge?

I called up and started a Platinum challenge on April 1. I had all my flights booked, which would take me over the necissary points needed. However, my first flight this week - MIA-ORD-DUB did not go as planned. I flew MIA-ORD and then boarded the ORD-DUB flight. The ORD-DUB took off, flew for 3 1/2 hours, then had to return to ORD due to Irish airspace closed because of volcanic ash. I then flew back home ORD-MIA the next day.

Since I didn't get to DUB, I'm assuming I'm not going to get miles for that leg of the trip. The MIA-ORD, ORD-MIA flights will leave me short for the Plat challenge.

Has anyone had luck downgrading to a Gold challenge due to situations beyond a passengers control? Such as the MD80 mechanical issues? Or now, volcanic ash?
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:39 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by cyncyn129
Since I didn't get to DUB, I'm assuming I'm not going to get miles for that leg of the trip.
Don't assume anything. Call AA and ask if you can get the challenge points for the DUB flight as initially booked, because it got involuntarily cancelled. For the kind of latutude AA is capable of, see flyertalk.com/forum/13743338-post78.html .

Last edited by aktchi; Apr 18, 2010 at 11:46 am
Old Apr 18, 2010, 7:25 pm

Programs: Lm silver / MileagePlus / Aadvantage / Amex platinum / stargold points silver
AA elite Match

Hello I am a very active Platinum status in two airlines I asked AA by email twice and they just offer me a Challenge is there a way to get a match?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.