Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2010, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; SPG Plat;Hertz Pres Circle; Jelly of the Month Club - Marmalade Level
Originally Posted by mentat

Also will I get sent a physical card and luggage tags automatically or I have to request this? and how long does it take to receive?

Thanks
As others have pointed out, no free tags. As to the card, I completed my PLT challenge January 15. The status was changed and miles posted on-line within 36 hours. But, over a month later, no card yet. I guess I'll give them a call next week, but I really don't need the card now. Of course, being in London and flying internationally, you do need your card ASAP, to get access to OneWorld lounges - they seem to insist on seeing the card.

Last edited by OrvilleWright; Feb 18, 2010 at 11:45 pm Reason: Changed "nationally" to "internationally"
Old Feb 18, 2010, 8:46 pm

Missed opportunity, trying for Gold and need advice

I could really kick myself! I had Gold status and flew 22,000 miles last year, so I didn't requalify for this year. What makes me annoyed is that I didn't know about the Elite challenge and 20,000 of those miles was done in a 2 month period. So, I missed an opportunity to get Platinum status.

I would try a gold challenge when my status expires on March 1 but my upcoming flights are mainly Q and N class and only gain .5 miles so my March roundtrip from JFK to SFO plus 2 rountrips to Chicago in April will not make 5,000 miles.

My question is should I try to get back to elite status the old fashioned way of earning 25,000 miles or points in the year, or should I consider the email AA sent offering me a chance to "buy" my requalification for Gold status. I am going to open the Citibank account and will receive the 10,000 miles for that and will probably earn at least 15,000 more miles or points from my visa purchases and future travel by December.

If I rebought the Gold, would my Q and N classes equal 1 mile rather than .5 and also earn the Gold bonus? In which case if I hit 25,000 miles after, than would it extend to 2012?
Old Feb 18, 2010, 9:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by jlmcc13
I would try a gold challenge when my status expires on March 1 but my upcoming flights are mainly Q and N class and only gain .5 miles so my March roundtrip from JFK to SFO plus 2 rountrips to Chicago in April will not make 5,000 miles.
Note that challenges are based on points not miles. Q and N fares only earn 0.5 elite qualifying points (EQP) per mile but will earn 100% elite qualifying miles (EQM)

My question is should I try to get back to elite status the old fashioned way of earning 25,000 miles or points in the year, or should I consider the email AA sent offering me a chance to "buy" my requalification for Gold status. I am going to open the Citibank account and will receive the 10,000 miles for that and will probably earn at least 15,000 more miles or points from my visa purchases and future travel by December.

If I rebought the Gold, would my Q and N classes equal 1 mile rather than .5 and also earn the Gold bonus? In which case if I hit 25,000 miles after, than would it extend to 2012?
Only you can decide whether the $$ you have to pay to buy back your Gold status is worth it in terms of the benefits to you (25% mileage bonus, ability to select exit row seats etc) based on your projected flying patterns during the next year. Your elite status does not affect how many miles/points you will earn from a particular fare. The only difference is a 25% redeemable miles bonus if you are Gold but these miles are not EQMs.

Miles earned from credit card purchases and bonuses do not count as EQMs either. They are redeemable miles only and will not help you achieve elite status. The only way to earn EQMs on AA is to fly. If you earn 25k EQM or 25k EQP at any time during the 2010 calendar year, you will get Gold status valid through Feb 2012.

Spend some time checking out the wealth of great info here on FT and you'll never miss another trick or promotion again
Old Feb 19, 2010, 4:47 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I could really kick myself!...
Don't kick yourself, we all have to begin somewhere. It is difficult to advice someone else on what his money should be worth to him, but here's what I would do in your shoes.

First, absolutely nothing. Fly normally and earn miles. If it makes you gold, fine. If not, fine.

Second, gold challenge is not worth the trouble/expense because your elite status lasts only one year. Platinum by contrast gives two years (1 as plat, 1 as gold). So I would do the Platinum challenge.

Finally, I would start my Platinum challenge on/after June 16. That way you will get one extra year.

Challenges are based on points, not miles. Depending on the fare, you can earn 0, 1/2, 1, or 1.5 point per flown mile. You have plenty of time to learn all this and should do so.

Good luck.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:57 am

Programs: AA, UA, NW, DL, Marriott
Question Purchased AA Plat extension but now wants to do AA Plat Challenge after reviewing?

My boss came into work yesterday morning and told me that he extended his Plat membership via the $649 email offer from AA. He is flying to Europe 2x in the next few weeks in paid Biz. I asked him why he didn't just do a Platinum Challenge for $149? I told him that his first trip from LAX - EU was enough to satisfy the challenge alone. Boss did not know about Plat Challenge and called AA immediately. Boss advised AA that while he paid the $649 just some 12 hours before this phone call, he was reminded by one of his employees (me) about the Plat Challenge. AA said that while he did qualify for a Plat Challenge, they were unable to refund him the difference (i.e. $500) due to the offer he took advantage of to extend his Plat membership is done through a 3rd party vendor.

He is filed a complaint via AA.com. Do you think he has a chance? Or is it too little too late?

Thanks.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
IMO, the chances are somewhere between slim and none that any refund will be forthcoming. But only AA can answer that question. Boss got what he bought and paid for.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA CK EXP 3MM, National EE, Hertz Plat
I did not think that you could re qualify for status via the challenge.

Joel
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by JSSAUCE
I did not think that you could re qualify for status via the challenge.
You can't, but that wasn't the OP's question.

It could be possible to take the PLT challenge after dropping to GLD in March. AA said he qualified for the challenge.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
1) Your boss could not requalify for Platinum with a Challenge until the current status year is over, at minimum; if they did and he began the Challenge before June 16, he would only maintain status through 28 Feb 2011 - which he has already with the buyback.

2) AA has extended his Platinum status as mentioned above; since they have his money, they are unlikely to give it back.. I'd chalk this up to buyer's remorse - "I paid $xxx for the Spitzelnaff 500 in January, but they are having a sale this week - I want the difference back." Chance of winning his complaint - that of an ATR flying DFW-NRT.

3) Your boss will be unable to purchase Platinum status back next year; he may be able to Challenge sometime after the end of the status year (or not, as AA - or at least some at AA - seem to have the intent of making a Challenge a once in a lifetime event and not provide a revolving door to easy status).

4) It's a good time to plan how to use his current Platinum status and milk it for all he can now, and how to regain "regular" status for next year - e.g. qualify by earning 50,000 EQP in C/Y 2010 by concentrating flying on AA and EQM/EQP-eligible airlines / flights.

Originally Posted by Justme123456
My boss came into work yesterday morning and told me that he extended his Plat membership via the $649 email offer from AA. He is flying to Europe 2x in the next few weeks in paid Biz. I asked him why he didn't just do a Platinum Challenge for $149? I told him that his first trip from LAX - EU was enough to satisfy the challenge alone. Boss did not know about Plat Challenge and called AA immediately. Boss advised AA that while he paid the $649 just some 12 hours before this phone call, he was reminded by one of his employees (me) about the Plat Challenge. AA said that while he did qualify for a Plat Challenge, they were unable to refund him the difference (i.e. $500) due to the offer he took advantage of to extend his Plat membership is done through a 3rd party vendor.

He is filed a complaint via AA.com. Do you think he has a chance? Or is it too little too late?

Thanks.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 1:22 pm

One last question re elite status

Thanks to everyone who answered my post re: buy Gold status renewal or earn. I obviously had confused the EQM and EQP.

Can I ask one more question, sorry if answer in thread. Does the 20,000 miles given for opening a Citibank account count toward elite status? I think when I originally qualified for gold a few years ago, those points from opening cards and accounts did qualify but things always change....

Thanks!
Old Feb 19, 2010, 1:24 pm

Does the 20,000 miles given for opening a Citibank account count toward elite status?
No.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA, UA, NW, DL, Marriott
Originally Posted by JDiver
1) Your boss...
Thank you for the guidance. I've already informed said boss of the responses I've read here. He's not that happy since he has a team of 20+ employees who fly AA a lot for work and he controls our bookings. But, he understands. Sort of.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 2:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
The answer was in my reply to your previous post!

Can I ask one more question, sorry if answer in thread. Does the 20,000 miles given for opening a Citibank account count toward elite status?
Originally Posted by britenbsas
Miles earned from credit card purchases and bonuses do not count as EQMs either. They are redeemable miles only and will not help you achieve elite status.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 3:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'd have mentioned that before I ponied up the money for renewal, but it's water under the bridge. As I think, now it's a good idea to make sure you boss gets every bit of use from that status - the Platinum members' guide PDF on aa.com may help. I am sometimes quite surprised at how little some elites know about the benefits they have access to - or even Business flyers - such as the shower and suit press at the AA Arrivals Lounge, etc.

Originally Posted by Justme123456
Thank you for the guidance. I've already informed said boss of the responses I've read here. He's not that happy since he has a team of 20+ employees who fly AA a lot for work and he controls our bookings. But, he understands. Sort of.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott LT Ti, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by JDiver
1) Your boss could not requalify for Platinum with a Challenge until the current status year is over, at minimum;
I missed PLT by 2,500 miles this year (slow year and I didn't think I would be travelling this year, so no MR). I was getting a confirmed standby yesterday and asked to be transferred to the AAdvantage desk afterward. I politely asked if I could complete a challenge and she replied that I couldn't until 3/1, at which point I asked if I could be bumped down to Gold -- I've never heard a CSR laugh so hard! I said, "You probably don't hear that much do you?" She replied with "No, and unfortunately we can't...ahem...downgrade your uh status. Sorry about that!"

I never thought those words would ever leave my mouth

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.