Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2010, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by ttusqrl
I missed PLT by 2,500 miles this year (slow year and I didn't think I would be travelling this year, so no MR). I was getting a confirmed standby yesterday and asked to be transferred to the AAdvantage desk afterward. I politely asked if I could complete a challenge and she replied that I couldn't until 3/1, at which point I asked if I could be bumped down to Gold -- I've never heard a CSR laugh so hard! I said, "You probably don't hear that much do you?" She replied with "No, and unfortunately we can't...ahem...downgrade your uh status. Sorry about that!"

I never thought those words would ever leave my mouth
AA has a "soft landing" policy, so I don't understand why the agent laughed at your question. If you are currently PLT through Feb 2010, not having requalified in 2009, your status will drop to GLD on Mar 1. Or were you asking if she could drop your status immediately?
Old Feb 19, 2010, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott LT Ti, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
AA has a "soft landing" policy, so I don't understand why the agent laughed at your question. If you are currently PLT through Feb 2010, not having requalified in 2009, your status will drop to GLD on Mar 1. Or were you asking if she could drop your status immediately?
I actually qualified for GLD with points and segments, just didn't quite make it to PLT so the soft landing didn't even matter. I was making a feeble attempt to start the challenge now while I'm still doing my 2000 mile R/T every week so I could qualify quicker. I knew it probably wouldn't work, but it never hurts to try!

Besides, I refuse to pay the god-awful automatic reinstatement fee to make it back up. A MR would have been 1/3, maybe even 1/4 of the cost.

Last edited by ttusqrl; Feb 20, 2010 at 7:29 am
Old Feb 19, 2010, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by ttusqrl
I actually qualified for GLD with points and segments, just didn't quite make it to silver so the soft landing didn't even matter.
Well, duh! I should have realized that if you missed PLT by 2500 miles, you obviously earned enough EQM to be GLD.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 7:30 am

Programs: AA CK, Marriott LT Ti, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Well, duh! I should have realized that if you missed PLT by 2500 miles, you obviously earned enough EQM to be GLD.
It's ok, I was dumb enough to put "silver" in my post rather than platinum
Old Feb 20, 2010, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL - DM || CX - Diamond || Hilton - Silver || SPG - P100
Question Elite Qualifying Points (EQP) question

I have read through the posts, but i still have a question (after talking to an AA person mostly). I have decided to jump from Delta to AA, so I am going to do the challenge and work on getting back up to status (hopefully just a few months).

My question is about earning points. i am flying to Asia in a week, and the only flights for part of the trip are on another carrier (part of one world). for example:

AMERICAN AIRLINES 6074, OPERATED BY CATHAY PACIFIC - Booking Code H, will i get EQP's for that segment of the flight? (it is from HKG to SFO). the rep said EQP's can only be earned on AA Metal, did she actually mis-speak?

thanks in advance.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 6:09 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
if it an aa flight #, you get credit just like an aa flight on aa metal.....so whatever h gets, you get....good luck....
Old Feb 20, 2010, 6:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If it is coded as an AA flight, for the purposes of miles and points, you are flying American Airlines.

As it states in the Wiki, "As of January 2007, only flights marketed by AA (with an AA flight number) are eligible for earning points that count towards the completion of a Challenge. You can still fly on a non-AA metal flight operated by a partner, but you must make sure that you have booked it with an AA codeshare flight number. (Previously, points earned on partner-marketed flights were eligible, but that is no longer the case)."

This will now get moved to the Challenge Help Desk thread.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
If it is coded as an AA flight, for the purposes of miles and points, you are flying American Airlines.

As it states in the Wiki, "As of January 2007, only flights marketed by AA (with an AA flight number) are eligible for earning points that count towards the completion of a Challenge. You can still fly on a non-AA metal flight operated by a partner, but you must make sure that you have booked it with an AA codeshare flight number. (Previously, points earned on partner-marketed flights were eligible, but that is no longer the case)."

This will now get moved to the Challenge Help Desk thread.
I think I am fine, but being new to AA, I just wanted to make sure. I found the flight from the AA website using the search only for AA flight option. What made me question was the person who said it had to be AA metal.

Update - I booked a couple of flights through the AA site, which get me about 20k points, so I would assume even if something didn't work out exactly as planned, since I only need to get to 10k in 3 months, it should all work out.

Last edited by druid; Feb 21, 2010 at 7:47 am Reason: update
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:09 am

Follow-Up

Just as a follow up, I called the AAdvantage folks and started the challenge. the Agent actually said the AMERICAN AIRLINES 6074, OPERATED BY CATHAY PACIFIC - Booking Code H would NOT count towards the points, even though it was a purchased through AA (using the only search for AA metal option), has an AA flight, because it was someone else's metal. I did ask her to check, and after about 15minutes on hold she said she had talked to several people and believes it will count.

A little disappointing, when I talked to the rep yesterday she said she would gift me gold status so that my trip would not be without. Today when I brought it up after paying for the challenge, she said they did not do that. That definitely leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I don't care so much that I wont get a mileage bonus, but since it will take a few weeks to actually get the Plat status (After the flight is complete), I am looking at 3 trips (if I fly them with AA) with no status - I am traveling almost the entire month of March, back to back. I get that my $30k / year on travel is a trivial to them, but it would have been nice for them to honor their previous offer. I guess as with everything, get it in writing...
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:45 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by druid
Just as a follow up, I called the AAdvantage folks and started the challenge. the Agent actually said the AMERICAN AIRLINES 6074, OPERATED BY CATHAY PACIFIC - Booking Code H would NOT count towards the points, even though it was a purchased through AA (using the only search for AA metal option), has an AA flight, because it was someone else's metal. I did ask her to check, and after about 15minutes on hold she said she had talked to several people and believes it will count.

A little disappointing, when I talked to the rep yesterday she said she would gift me gold status so that my trip would not be without. Today when I brought it up after paying for the challenge, she said they did not do that. That definitely leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I don't care so much that I wont get a mileage bonus, but since it will take a few weeks to actually get the Plat status (After the flight is complete), I am looking at 3 trips (if I fly them with AA) with no status - I am traveling almost the entire month of March, back to back. I get that my $30k / year on travel is a trivial to them, but it would have been nice for them to honor their previous offer. I guess as with everything, get it in writing...
That is interesting... I just did a gold challenge and flew JFK-SCL on a LAN flight with an AA flight number. After that LAN flight, I immediately became Gold status. I don't see why your example is any different from what just happened to me.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by sweeper25
That is interesting... I just did a gold challenge and flew JFK-SCL on a LAN flight with an AA flight number. After that LAN flight, I immediately became Gold status. I don't see why your example is any different from what just happened to me.
Yah no idea, I am moving from NW, and i have that program figured out, but I have no idea about the intricacies for the AA program yet. They said at least a week after the segment is finished. just as a point of reference for how back to back some of my trips are. I fly from HKG -> STL (end trip) wait 2 hours, don't even go home, then STL -> SJO
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
Help Me Decide What to Do

So thank you to Flyertalk.. I think I am about to embark on my first status challenge.

The situation: I will be traveling to Italy in April. For ease, assume that total flight distance will be 5000 miles each way and my EQP is 1:1 for all booking codes/alliances flown. Now the question:

a) Do I go for a gold challenge-5000 EQP? $100. That way, on the return leg I will be getting a 25% bonus and for the remainder of the elite year a 25% bonus, gold status...etc

b) Plat Challenge-10000 EQP? $200. No bonus for this round trip but 100% from here on out and better perks.

Not that this makes a difference.. but Id say I could probably get gold again but would not be able to re-qualify for Plat.

What to do?
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by ssafro1
So thank you to Flyertalk.. I think I am about to embark on my first status challenge.

The situation: I will be traveling to Italy in April. For ease, assume that total flight distance will be 5000 miles each way and my EQP is 1:1 for all booking codes/alliances flown. Now the question:

a) Do I go for a gold challenge-5000 EQP? $100. That way, on the return leg I will be getting a 25% bonus and for the remainder of the elite year a 25% bonus, gold status...etc

b) Plat Challenge-10000 EQP? $200. No bonus for this round trip but 100% from here on out and better perks.

Not that this makes a difference.. but Id say I could probably get gold again but would not be able to re-qualify for Plat.

What to do?
Using your assumptions your return leg should grant you the 100% bonus assuming you hit the 10,000 EQP's. (10,000 EQP's to meet Plat Challenge) I'm not sure if your mistyped your question? I would go with Plat challenge.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
You are correct.. On the Flyerguide.. i misread the part where it states that the flight which qualifies you earns the bonus. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by ssafro1

What to do?
It really depends on what your travel plans look like for the remainder of the year. If you are going to be doing a lot of travel then the 100% mileage bonus you will get for being PLT will soon add up. You'll have higher upgrade priority and if you have more international travel planned will be able to use OneWorld lounges on your trips

Note that flights on partner airlines do NOT count for challenge purposes unless they are booked with an AA flight number.

You will find lots of useful information in the sticky challenges thread here which is no doubt where this thread will end up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.